Jun 12 2011
By: Gnuthin First Son 3 posts

Apps? Whut?

7 replies 4 views Edited Jun 12, 2011

Seeing as the PSVita has a touch screen, it will be in the realm of competition with Apple's ipod touch/iphone/ipad.  Part of the latter trio's mass appeal is their huge library of cheap, quirky apps.  I know the Vita is geared to run full blown games (I'm drooling over LBP allready) which Apple's systems aren't but I don't know how many times I've picked up my wife's ipod to play for five minutes rather than bother to fire up a game on the psp or ps3.  I don't know if Sony is even interested in taking on Apple in this respect but I'd like to think the Vita would be capable of it.  I know I'd certainly enjoy being able to aquire a bunch of fun little apps to play with on my Vita

Now, after all this semi-mindless blather, do you think Sony should consider adding an "App Store" to the playstation store for the Vita?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7507 posts

Re: Apps? Whut?

Jun 12, 2011

I'd call it "Vita Minis" (games) and "Vita Apps" for apps. Apple holds a trademark for "App Store" (seriously) and has actually sued Amazon for using the term.

Anyways, Vita Minis are for small games, and Vita Apps are for those utility apps such as GPS Navigation for cars.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 14, 2011

Oh Sony has definitely realized the money to be made from casual gamers. I think there will be many "mini" games that will sell for less than 5-10 dollars. The PSP was too hardcore, so casual gamers bought Nintendo handhelds instead. This time Sony will make its handheld really versatile.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Jun 15, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

I'd call it "Vita Minis" (games) and "Vita Apps" for apps. Apple holds a trademark for "App Store" (seriously) and has actually sued Amazon for using the term.

Anyways, Vita Minis are for small games, and Vita Apps are for those utility apps such as GPS Navigation for cars.

im actualy suprised apple doesnt sue companies just because they make some devices white. but i do like the sound of "vita minis" for obvious reasons lol.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jun 15, 2011

It would be cool if it had apps

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13201 posts

Jun 15, 2011

Sony didn't announce anything about non-game apps for Vita.  That isn't an accident.  You can safely assume that Sony has no plans to license non-game apps for the console.  As with the PSP, Sony wants the software development for the Vita to be solidly focused on core game experiences.  This makes perfect business sense.  You can already run at least one hundred thousand apps on phones that cost as little as $99 with a 2 year contract.  If you want to run apps, the most cost-effective way to do that is on a smartphone. You will need to carry a phone to talk and text anyway, so you might as well run apps on the same device.  You don't need to carry a second device for that.  If you want to run apps on a full size display, you buy a tablet.  The Vita's display isn't large enough to justify carrying it as a separate device in order to run apps.  The only advantage of the Vita is the wider variety of input devices, including conventional console game controls.  That is something that the smart phones (even Xperia Play) will never do as well as Vita.  Those controls only make a difference with game software, so there is no real reason for Sony to license anything except game software. While I expect that Sony will provide music and video storage, playback, and streaming; as well as web browsing, on Vita; I expect that Sony will be putting far less emphasis on those functions than it did with the PSP.  Sony doesn't want Vita to be seen as a smartphone competitor.  Sony wants Vita to be seen as a completely different category of mobile device. 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 15, 2011

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Wouldn't it be interesting if Sony partnered up with Android to have the Android marketplace on the Vita? Similar to how the Xperia Play works, having Android on a Playstation certified device.

But then again, it might be that Sony cooperated with Erickson in that deal, in which case there might not be as high of a chance to get Android on the Vita. Would be awesome though.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jun 15, 2011

sony is selling us a powerhouse like that for 300 bucks, is a give away that it wont have "apps".itll only have games that meet sony's quality reqirement(and pays sony a cut).  i mean if sony opens the platform up, everybody will start coming up with games for it. there will be less draw of sony and partners products. i mean this was one of the things that lead to the crash of 83 didnt it?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (4 Views)
0 Likes