Dec 22 2012
By: almostsane1 First Son 24 posts

Apple Routers

9 replies 152 views Edited Dec 22, 2012

I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router.  Having issues connecting the vita and ps3 with the remote play.  Does anyone know if there are issues uising the apple router? 

Message 1 of 10 (152 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11012 posts

Re: Apple Routers

Dec 22, 2012

If you are in the same room with your PS3 trying to use remote play, just use the direct connection.  To use any router, you need to activate remote play via internet on the PS3, and with a lot of routers, activating that option will randomly turn on your PS3 because of random signals received from the internet (which can be avoided by manually placing your PS3 on an internal IP address that is outside the range of your router's DHCP, and setting the router to direct traffic meant for the PS3 to that specific IP address).

Message 2 of 10 (148 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 22, 2012
thanks for such a quick response. do you have any links that you can direct me to so i can try this? this is just a tad out of the scope of what i know how to do. with a guide i am sure i can make it happen. my ps3 is hard wired to the router too.
Message 3 of 10 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 22, 2012
i actually think it is the apple router. after checking my ps3 internet settings there is no upnp. i tried to select that option on my apple router but it is not available.
Message 4 of 10 (137 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11012 posts

Dec 22, 2012

First of all, find out what your Apple Router's range of IPs is (usually it will be either 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.0.xxx.xxx).  By default, routers generally don't have a range specified.

What you want to do is to set the range for the DHCP to something like 10.0.0.10 through 10.0.0.20 (or 192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.20).  You can set the range to more or less, depending on how many devices you connect to it.

The default address and password for the router's control panel should be printed on a label on the router.  You should be able to access it from any browser on your PC.  The PS3's browser might also work, but I haven't tried it.

On the PS3, you'll go into Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > Custom > Wired > Manual Settings and then...

Speed and Duplex: Auto-detect

IP Address Setting: Manual 

- IP Address: 10.0.0.101

- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

- Default Router: 10.0.0.1 (or whatever your router's IP Address is)

- Primary DNS: Same as Default Router

- Secondary DNS: Not required (can just leave it all zeros)

MTU: Automatic

Proxy Server: Do Not Use

UPnP: Enable (Since you manually set up your IP Address, you shouldn't need to worry about it if the option isn't available on your router)

Test your settings and you should get a NAT Type 2 connection, which allows for full connection to the PSN.

Message 5 of 10 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 23, 2012

thanks for the help.  i ended up buying a new router.  we can now connect and do the cross play on LBP2.  

Message 6 of 10 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11012 posts

Dec 23, 2012

No problem...  just out of curiosity, was it an older Airport Extreme that you were using?  I haven't heard a lot of issues with Apple's newer routers (though I don't have one myself, since there are better, less expensive routers out there).

Message 7 of 10 (105 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 23, 2012
mine is 3 to 4 years old. i think the big problem is that UPnP is not supported by Apple (they say it is but when I put the router in the Apple UPnP it still didn't work)

I went and talked with the router experts at my local electronics store (I have some knowledge) the 2 associates said they would never recommend an apple product.
Message 8 of 10 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11012 posts

Dec 23, 2012

almostsane1 wrote:
mine is 3 to 4 years old. i think the big problem is that UPnP is not supported by Apple (they say it is but when I put the router in the Apple UPnP it still didn't work)

I went and talked with the router experts at my local electronics store (I have some knowledge) the 2 associates said they would never recommend an apple product.

Yeah, basically I agree with them, only because the Apple routers are overpriced for what you are getting (which is not much more than you can find for $30-40 cheaper elsewhere).  Newer Apple routers are better, but still way overpriced (you're only paying for the Apple logo, I think).  Older Apple routers did not support UPnP, the newer ones do.  I have the same issue with my 4 year old Uverse gateway (2wire).  It does not support UPnP, but I've always run a router-behind-gateway setup (I prefer Netgear routers) and it works well.

The only real use for an Apple Router is if you run on Apple computers and want to do your Time Machine backups via wifi where your backup HDD is attached to the router.  And there are even non-Apple solutions for that.

Message 9 of 10 (95 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Dec 23, 2012
it's just really disappointing that i had to go buy a new router because apple is so anti-industry standard. the airport worked well.
Message 10 of 10 (91 Views)
0 Likes