Feb 25 2012
By: YamiJustin Wastelander 663 posts

Anyone use an Solid State Drive?

3 replies 25 views Edited Feb 25, 2012

On a PS3? If so how did it go? Was it much faster booting up or carrying out tasks?

Message 1 of 4 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Re: Anyone use an Solid State Drive?

Feb 25, 2012

You definitely see faster load times but for the price you pay for and how much storage it contains its almost not worth it. SSD is new technology and it will be expensive to buy at first. Personally I wait a year or two (Probably when PS4 comes out) to buy one.

Better off having either a hybrid model or a HDD with 7,400RPM.

Photobucket
Playstation Rewards Tester / G.A.P. Member / 3G PS Vita Owner / PS3 Slim Owner
Message 2 of 4 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 25, 2012

There are a few articles online, and several users have upgraded to SSD if you try the forum search.

Certain tasks and games load faster, but I decided it was more cost effective to get a Seagate Momentus XT instead. Most games aren't bottlenecked by the hard drive in the first place, so they won't see much of a benefit if any.

The bottleneck is the PS3 SATA interface, so you can safely go with the cheapest and slowest SSD you can find. Make sure you check the manufacturer's website for firmware updates and upload them to your new drive on a PC before installing it into the PS3.

Message 3 of 4 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 25, 2012

After looking at the general prices of SSD I think I'll be sticking with the classic HDD. I run 750gb hdd which cost like $70, and for the same money I can only get a measely 60gb SSD lol.

Message 4 of 4 (25 Views)
0 Likes