Wastelander
742 posts

Re: Anyone else wish Trophies were getting revamped with PS4?

May 30, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Really?  A thread about trophies on a gaming forum and you're telling him to "win a real trophy"? well, I may not agree with the changes he wants, but c'mon...thats about as logical as going to a guitar hero/Rock Band discussion and telling them to play real instruments. And since when is a trophy not an actual accomplishment? Granted, some are just thrown at you for playing a game, but I am willing to bet you feel pretty good for getting a gold trophy on a game that has you place in the top 1% of online players. How is that not real?

Do you have trouble reading as much as you have quoting? You could argue trophies to be accomplishments (and I never said they weren't accomplishments, they just aren't real accomplishments they are only false accomplishments and not because they aren't tangible), but the fact of the matter is they are some of the most superficial accomplishments in the world. Getting the top 1% of online players is a significant milestone but compared to 99% of the rest of the drivel out there, for the most part trophies aren't real accomplishments. 

Or getting a trophy for just completing the prologue chapter of a game or watching a tutorial video. That's totally a real accomplishment, like totally compared to winning an actual gaming tournament on MLG. 

Next you are going to start exclaiming that getting the platinum trophy for Hannah Montanna is a real accomplishment. 

Message 21 of 55 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

May 30, 2013
To me, it just seems simple is better. The more straightforward you are, the better. You know the average game without DLC will give you a maximum of 1000G. I can easily look and see who has put in the time on a game by that point total alone. I dont have to drill down into how many trophies were earned, if I got 460G in Gears and a buddy got 125G, I know I put more time into it than he did or if another friend got 1000G, I know he finished everything he could. I like seeing how close I can get that number to 1000. I couldnt tell you how many trophies are allocated per mineral and to me, its just overly complicated. Or I should say this: Its complicated for no reason. It should just be basic math, the higher your score in each game, the higher your overall total gets and watching that number get higher and higher is cool I think and easily recognizable at a glance. It just feels like trophies were a complicated slapped on response to the overwhelming popularity of Achievements.
Message 22 of 55 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Really?  A thread about trophies on a gaming forum and you're telling him to "win a real trophy"? well, I may not agree with the changes he wants, but c'mon...thats about as logical as going to a guitar hero/Rock Band discussion and telling them to play real instruments. And since when is a trophy not an actual accomplishment? Granted, some are just thrown at you for playing a game, but I am willing to bet you feel pretty good for getting a gold trophy on a game that has you place in the top 1% of online players. How is that not real?

Do you have trouble reading as much as you have quoting? You could argue trophies to be accomplishments (and I never said they weren't accomplishments, they just aren't real accomplishments they are only false accomplishments and not because they aren't tangible), but the fact of the matter is they are some of the most superficial accomplishments in the world. Getting the top 1% of online players is a significant milestone but compared to 99% of the rest of the drivel out there, for the most part trophies aren't real accomplishments. 

Or getting a trophy for just completing the prologue chapter of a game or watching a tutorial video. That's totally a real accomplishment, like totally compared to winning an actual gaming tournament on MLG. 

Next you are going to start exclaiming that getting the platinum trophy for Hannah Montanna is a real accomplishment. 

Do you? I made the distinction that-->"Granted, some are just thrown at you for playing a game" apparently you missed that part.

And getting in the top 1% of players is a milstone, period. And comming from the perspective of someone who has been in the MLG, and ranked among the top 100 players of Battlefield, I suppose I cant expect an average gamer to understand...but thats what is called a stepping stone.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 23 of 55 (68 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

May 30, 2013
I guess I'm just angry that in looking at the PS4, they are not going to innovate in any way in this next generation and its disheartening that a company that was so ahead of the curve with the PS2, lost all traction with the PS3 and looks to not be able to move the needle with the PS4. Its like, you had 8 years of getting hammered by the xbox on some core features and you now cant even come up with a better online store or a better way of tabulating game completion, its just frustrating. Its like bizarro world where up is down and black is white and why? There is no reason they cannot do what Samsung did to Apple and just blow the doors off xbox feature wise and they just either stubbornly or blindly refuse to capitalize.
Message 24 of 55 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:
I guess I'm just angry that in looking at the PS4, they are not going to innovate in any way in this next generation and its disheartening that a company that was so ahead of the curve with the PS2, lost all traction with the PS3 and looks to not be able to move the needle with the PS4. Its like, you had 8 years of getting hammered by the xbox on some core features and you now cant even come up with a better online store or a better way of tabulating game completion, its just frustrating. Its like bizarro world where up is down and black is white and why? There is no reason they cannot do what Samsung did to Apple and just blow the doors off xbox feature wise and they just either stubbornly or blindly refuse to capitalize.

Are you seriously citing trophies as "lost all traction with the PS3" and making a similar assumption about the Ps4? A system we know little about? And that hasnt even had a chance to effect the games industry yet?  Ha!

And how hard is it to check the percentage of a game? It effectively presents the same information as the achiemevent point system.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 25 of 55 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:

That first bit of red text pained me. This is your idea of innovation? Plastering a giant bothersome notification over the screen in the middle of gameplay with sirens to boot? The PS4 has a plethora of new features and more we're bound to hear about at E3.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 26 of 55 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

May 30, 2013
Yeah, and you also have to wait for it to "perform the sync" maneuver or whatever. Its like, cmon.....

But no, they lost all traction by not locking in exclusives, pricing way too high, custom silicon that never took off and were forced to be reactionary to the xbox who had an online store from the beginning, had gamerscore from the beginning and a clear online "play your friends" strategy. They innovated with those three things alone.

LIttle about it? They had a two hour reveal and told all about it including games. What are we missing? Were stuck with the same clunky slow online store, and trophies that make no sense and a new box my friends still will not buy because they are too invested in their GS and the ease of inviting and playing online with your friends. INstead we will get nextgen HOME.
Message 27 of 55 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 30, 2013

I was excited when Sony first announced the trophy firmware update for PS3. When it was available, I immediatly bought "Super Stardust HD" off the PS Store, just to experience my first "ding!"

But, the excitement has worn off over the past 5 years. IMO, the trophy set-up is fine the way it is. But, I can take it or leave it.

If they revamped it, I don't care. If they ever got rid of it completely, it would not bother me. 

I'm just amazed at how many people I've met on here and/or while playing online that don't know, or just forgot, what it was like to play video games without trophies / achievements.

EzraMajor wrote:
I prefer trophies. Anyone can get a couple achievements in a lot of games for a high score. You have to earn a platinum. (Or just play through Walking Dead..)

Trophies/Achievements are the same exact thing. PS3 and 360 have the same names for each trophy/achievement in multi-platform games.

The only difference, is:

- PS3 goes by "Levels" and 360 goes by "Gamerscore."

- 360 gamers call it "Getting 1K on a game" while PS3 gamers call it "Getting Platinum on a game."

And all a Platinum is, is a trophy to show you got all the other trophies in a game. 360 does not have this extra achievement.

So there is no difference between someone 1K'ing a 360 game or Platinum-ing a PS3 game --Both had to "earn" it.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 28 of 55 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:
Yeah, and you also have to wait for it to "perform the sync" maneuver or whatever. Its like, cmon.....

But no, they lost all traction by not locking in exclusives, pricing way too high, custom silicon that never took off and were forced to be reactionary to the xbox who had an online store from the beginning, had gamerscore from the beginning and a clear online "play your friends" strategy. They innovated with those three things alone.

LIttle about it? They had a two hour reveal and told all about it including games. What are we missing? Were stuck with the same clunky slow online store, and trophies that make no sense and a new box my friends still will not buy because they are too invested in their GS and the ease of inviting and playing online with your friends. INstead we will get nextgen HOME.

Great assumption considering they didn't mention HOME once. And the trophies not making any sense, is a subjective statement, not a solidified fact..So there's that..And they weren't "reactionary" true they had to compete (duh) but they had an online store planned from the beginning.

And as far as what we know about the system...we don't know that much..From a 2 hour reveal, of the hardware and tentative games that were given no solid release date, we don't even know what the case will look like.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 29 of 55 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 30, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Gadirok wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Do you? I made the distinction that-->"Granted, some are just thrown at you for playing a game" apparently you missed that part.

And getting in the top 1% of players is a milstone, period. And comming from the perspective of someone who has been in the MLG, and ranked among the top 100 players of Battlefield, I suppose I cant expect an average gamer to understand...but thats what is called a stepping stone.

lol, for what a week? A day? That is the worst combination of superficial accomplishment and gloating that I have heard today and reminds me why gamers like you are so arrogant, especially in games like battlefield 3, but even funnier when you are playing competitively for a multiplatform game on the PS3.

And apparently my emphasis on your trouble reading wasn't big enough. So I will just highlight and bold it in green for you:

"You could argue trophies to be accomplishments", "Getting the top 1% of online players is a significant milestone"

Still doesn't stop from it being a superficial achievement. 

As for direct comparisons, I don't go around gloating that I ranked in the top 1000 of Starhawk during a period when people would spam clusterbombs while trapped and unable to escape lethal spawn killing and purely relied on sidewinder skills, but do you know why I don't gloat? Because its a superficial accomplishment in a video game. But I wouldn't expect an average battlefielder like you to understand. 

Just like the hundreds of thousands of gamers who played in the same server as you and didn't give two ****s about who you were and probably never will.

EDIT: And also, for future referencing, lets take a look at some funny jokes today:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/setzaroth/

Message 30 of 55 (37 Views)
0 Likes