May 30 2013
By: TwoFive3 First Son 17 posts

Anyone else wish Trophies were getting revamped with PS4?

54 replies 154 views Edited May 30, 2013

It seems to me Trophies and whatever algorithm went in to determining what level gamer you are was simply born out of trying to be different than Achievements.  I personally cannot stand trophies and wish just a standard point system would take its place.  I cannot hear the notification sound it makes (does it make a sound) and the bland non descript text box that shows up is pretty unsatisfying.  It shows up in the top right corner of the screen sort of out of the way and like no big deal.  Achievements hit with that unique loud unlocking sound and are center screen.  I think xbox really nailed it and was hoping PS4 would follow suit.  Drop down notifications worked great on Android, so Apple installs the EXACT thing on its iphones, no big deal.  Nobody gets hurt, we don't have to go out of our way to be different for the sake of being different.  Just give me a running total of every point Ive earned and lets keep going one game to the next.  Instead I have this dumb trophy collection that tells me nothing really.  They never inspire me to play or replay games differently like Achievements do.  Anyone else feel that way?

Message 1 of 55 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: Anyone else wish Trophies were getting revamped with PS4?

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:

It seems to me Trophies and whatever algorithm went in to determining what level gamer you are was simply born out of trying to be different than Achievements.  I personally cannot stand trophies and wish just a standard point system would take its place.  I cannot hear the notification sound it makes (does it make a sound) and the bland non descript text box that shows up is pretty unsatisfying.  It shows up in the top right corner of the screen sort of out of the way and like no big deal.  Achievements hit with that unique loud unlocking sound and are center screen.  I think xbox really nailed it and was hoping PS4 would follow suit.  Drop down notifications worked great on Android, so Apple installs the EXACT thing on its iphones, no big deal.  Nobody gets hurt, we don't have to go out of our way to be different for the sake of being different.  Just give me a running total of every point Ive earned and lets keep going one game to the next.  Instead I have this dumb trophy collection that tells me nothing really.  They never inspire me to play or replay games differently like Achievements do.  Anyone else feel that way?

They do make a sound. Its a chime like noise.

Yes, trophies should be more in the way, great idea.

Actually the trophies tell you more about the game than points do...since hte xbox points pool, there is no easy way to tell now many 50G achievements you have without looking at each game individually.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 2 of 55 (147 Views)
First Son
17 posts

May 30, 2013

Alriiiiiiiiight, on one point we agree.....lets get a few more people chiming in and we'll get this trophy situation worked out to our liking.

Message 3 of 55 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:

Well as much as people will deny it, trophies on PS3 were a plastered on feature from the very beginning, but its arguably become more popular than achievements and I often see more trophy hunters than achievement hunters. The "Platinum trophy" is actually one of the most sought after thing by many playstation gamers and its much better than the 100% feature given dlc.

But as for inspiring me to play games or finish them, I would argue yes they actually influence me to pick certain games over other ones.

Though not entirely.

Some of the first games I played were Resistance Fall of Man and Assassins Creed 1. In terms of my backlog I keep record of what I play by keeping track of the progression of trophies. Not enough to platinum them (as I only platinum games I truly enjoyed and don't require going out of the way to platinum) but to finish the main features of and campaign. I will likely return to platinum some of these games at a later date. 

But as for the whole synchronization and half-assed profile pages between friends, lack of a built in forum ( I still strongly suggest that the playstation community forums become integrated into PS4), bragging about trophies becomes utterly pointless unless between friends, while random strangers (given that you play many online games) may check your barebones profile pages and compare trophies for insecurity or learn something more about you, given trophies can tell alot about a person.

The only point I've seen with trophies is to keep track of what I play and when I played it. Purely for statistical purposes, though the 3DS has done better with keeping statistics of what I play. 

I don't see achievements as any less though. Its in the same page as trophies.

Message 4 of 55 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:

What a stupid rant. Achievments on the Xbox have the very same names and describtions as PS trophies. So if you consider those bland on the PS, so are achievments. They are the same. If you can't figure out what to do, check the XMB or one of the many many trophy guides.

Points and trophies don't differ much at all. Bronze is worth 15 points, Silver 30, Gold 90. So there you go, there are your points. With the benefit that there are Platinum trophies.

Any yeah, forcing achievments on the center of the screen in the middle of the action sounds really great. That's also where I prefer to see ads during a movie.

Message 5 of 55 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13135 posts

May 30, 2013
This is a dumb thread
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 6 of 55 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 30, 2013

TwoFive3 wrote:

Alriiiiiiiiight, on one point we agree.....lets get a few more people chiming in and we'll get this trophy situation worked out to our liking.

That guy who spelled sephiroth wrong was being sarcastic.

I don't think people really care for trophies, and an indication in the corner of the screen is sufficient. If it took up more of the screen, it would kind of intrude on the gameplay and immersion.

I say, for next gen trophy indications should be optional and there should be a option to make trophies private for certain users as I have seen numerous people (on other forums) express concerns regarding privacy with trophies. That is actually a major concern and I should have stressed it over my previous complaint (online boosting and online trophies that require grinding). 

Trophies give out ALOT of information about certain users. Its why I think some people are actually glad that synchronization is optional.

Message 7 of 55 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 30, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
This is a dumb thread

If I had a dime for every time someone between the Playstation General and Off-Topic boards said that, I would be a millionaire.

You guys need to chill out and actually avoid bumping the thread rather than just pointing out its dumb.

But as far as trophies being more bland than achievements. I think thats purely opinion on the OPs part. They seem the same thing to me, with the exception of the platinum trophy which I think is much better than anything achievements have provided (to my limited knowledge of achievements).

Message 8 of 55 (125 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

May 30, 2013
I didn't even know the trophies made a sound. :/
Message 9 of 55 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 30, 2013

thirtyy wrote:
I didn't even know the trophies made a sound. :/

They do, but its very subtle and I prefer it remain that way. It doesn't ruin or get in the way of my gaming, and sometimes I don't even remember getting it. 

Message 10 of 55 (119 Views)
0 Likes