Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Re: Anyone else suggest waiting for a PS4 Slim?

Jun 15, 2013

20gb fat ps3 launch owner... so 6 and half years and an upgrade to a 1tb 7200rpm drive later, its still running beautifully! (knock on wood >.<)

Photobucket
Message 21 of 71 (824 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 19, 2013

bro i say if you got the will power to wait do it because you know it will AT LEAST be a little better than the first

Message 22 of 71 (791 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jun 19, 2013
I do not have the will power to wait. I already ordered mines and I am getting more excited by the day.
Message 23 of 71 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Honestly, I was just sort of figuring that I'd buy another one in about 2 years.  I absolutely love my slim PS3 with the 500GB HDD that I bought bundled with Assassin's Creed 3 last October.  I'll probably buy a PS4 hardware redesign at some point, too.  

PSN: sleepyeyes2k2
Reformed Xbox Gamer

21lob2s.png
Message 24 of 71 (775 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9419 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I can (almost) guarantee that there won't be a 'slimmer' model of the PS4.  It is already 'slimmer' than the PS3 'slim'.  Like the Vita, I don't think there is a way to condense the hardware down much.  GDDR5 RAM comes on 512MB chips, which means there are 16 chips on the mainboard for system memory alone.  The AMD Jaguar is a socket FM2 processor, which means the heatsink and fan for it is going to take up a pretty good chunk of the internal real estate.

As for the other components...  we're talking about a 4th- or 5th-generation Blu-ray reader (the original PS3 was a first-generation and Sony has been using 2nd-generation BD drives since the 2nd 'slim' revision.  The super-slim MAY have a 3rd-gen BD reader, but I'm not sure.  The network card is a Gigabit Ethernet/802.11bgn bit that has been around for a few years, and it is still using Blutooth 2.1+EDR (latest revision is 3.0+HS, which doesn't actually transfer data over the BT, but actually switches to 802.11g for data transfer), which is also a proven revision.

I don't expect to see the failure rate of early PS3s with the PS4, though there will still be some.

Message 25 of 71 (764 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jun 19, 2013

This last generation I didn't get a PS3 until August of last year. Between working full time, being married, loss of interest in gaming for periods of time, etc. I couldn't devote time to the PS2 backlog I had let alone get a PS3 at $599 a smash. 

It is almost the same for me with the PS4. I have plenty of games in my backlog and I really would rather see how the first 6 months to a year of the PS4's lifecycle plays out. Will there be a PS4 Slim down the road? Unquestionably.  The console makers have seen too much profit from the redesigns and multiple SKUs to not do them. Technological concerns also enters into it. If you can get a console that runs cooler, faster, is smaller, etc. it is hard to dismiss.

[URL=http://www.ps3trophies.com/profile/JRSIV1975][IMG]http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/4/JRSIV1975.png[/IMG][/URL]
Message 26 of 71 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11326 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Whe even talk about the slim yet. The PS4 is not in people hands. Had PS2 fat no issues what so ever. Had PS3 fat again no isues what so ever. I do not se a need to wait for a slim at all. It will be 2 to 3 years to wait for this. Ontop of this you will miss out on both the great relese event of getting the PS4 and all the great games at or shortly afte release. I look forward to m new system release. For my PS3 I missed releas day and got it the next Friday which was black Friday, The experience Ive had to try to obtain a PS3 gave me a great story to tell. Being at CompUSA and having them call the cops on us cause the demanded selling a 2000 dollart tv or you get no system. From being in line Black Friday being told I wont get a system. And Just as I asked some one canceled there reservation. Me being next inline. I walked out with my PS3. Great stories and experiences I have lived through. Even experience for the PS2 that I got years a go.

Message 27 of 71 (739 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
587 posts

Jun 19, 2013
To me it's not the hardware but Sony's crappy sutomer service, they can barely run wht they have network-wise as it is, and I have a backlog of really good games to play. And if anyone knows true emulation from the boys at MAME, the PS4 may not be actually powerful enough to emulate such a layout as the PS3. Hence the other problem. Data Caps. Even though prices are continuing to fall more and more providers are leveling caps at people. No Gakai for me and if they truly go mostly digital again there's that cap. And yes I have looked all over for better deals, but there are none in my area. In fact there is a list of providers that have a cap and don't and the list of the ones with no caps is incrreasing rapidly. They just want more of a piece of the pie, but supposedly the government is finally taking notice and looking into it.

Pinball totally rules!
--------------------
Message 28 of 71 (733 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 10, 2013
I think it's worth waiting all the games that you'll "miss" will come out on the consoles now (ps3 Xbox wii ect) so yo really only missing graphics will be made up for with the fact you'll only have to buy one ps4 not two
Message 29 of 71 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1951 posts

Oct 10, 2013

I have a CECHA01 that hasn't had any issues yet. But I am NOT missing the launch of this console. I missed PS1,2, and 3 by a few months. Not this time.

However I am considered a hostile worker apparently...
 photo Sigconsept.gif
Message 30 of 71 (483 Views)
0 Likes