Jun 12 2013
By: Cerialthriller Lombax Warrior 116 posts

Any word on if PSOne Classic games purchased on PSN will work on the PS4?

4 replies 1009 views Edited Jun 12, 2013

I have been holding off on buying any recently because I'm afraid it won't but I also haven't found anything that says either way. I know that PSN games or PS3 games won't work, but I'm unsure on this. I was upset that when I bought my 3DS that all the classic nintendo games I bought on the Wii won't transfer to the 3DS and a lot of them aren't even available for purchase on it yet.

Message 1 of 5 (1,009 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Any word on if PSOne Classic games purchased on PSN will work on the PS4?

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

New to the forums and PS.com ( HI   Smiley Very Happy ). preordered a PS4 and was was wondering about the OP's question too.  I was looking at the PSN store  titles I played back on the PS1/PS2 ( love me some Spyro the Dragon ). Has there been any info/news on whether  all the classic stuff that is currently on PSN be playable on the PS4 ?  Thanks in advance to all the PS pros for the help or a point in the right direction. 

Message 2 of 5 (979 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

I would assume PS1 games will be playable.  The reason for lack of PS3 compatibility (and I would assume the reason for little PS2 support on PS3) is the difficulty emulating the hardware.  They can't use the same excuse with PS1, considering any modern smartphone can emulate the PS1.

Message 3 of 5 (966 Views)
MVP Support
10870 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

DanSD wrote:

I would assume PS1 games will be playable.  The reason for lack of PS3 (and I would assume the reason for little PS2 support on PS3) compatibility is the difficulty emulating the hardware.  They can't say the same with PS1, considering any modern smartphone can emulate the PS1.

I don't think that PSOne Classics will be playable on the PS4 at launch, but like the Vita, it may come later.

I know that Sony is planning to eventually stream ALL 'legacy' Playstation games (PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP) on the PS4, PS Vita and quite possibly even the PS3 through Gaikai eventually, so it may be a moot point.  What is not clear about Gaikai is how it will work as far as how the service is acquired.  Most likely, it will be a subscription service similar to Netflix, but for games, but Sony hasn't yet stated any details.

Message 4 of 5 (868 Views)
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jun 13, 2013

At this time, there are no plans for emulation of Playstation, Playstation 2 or Playstation 3 software/games. However, sony may look into the possibility of local emulation for PS1/2 games in the future: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/

Message 5 of 5 (741 Views)
0 Likes