Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Re: Any reason why you buy a game from PS store instead of on disk?

Jul 27, 2014

I agree with expatcat this gen I'm going all digital.

Before I had the same mind set as most of you. But then I thought about it,

A) I dont trade in games.

B) If I did sell my games it wouldn't be worth it.

C) I don't lend games cause me and my friends all have jobs.

D) To much clutter.

E) may get damaged, lost or stolen.

Then I found digital gaming

A) Less to haul around if I was moving or going on a trip.

B) Last forever (or until Sony shuts down, at that point I dont think I'll care to much)

C) I can hop from one game to another instantly, no need to swap disc, really takes advantage of the PS4 speed.

At the end of the day I guess its all about personal preference. Its just that physical media isnt the same as it used to be back in the day. I remember games came with a thick book that had useful tips to help you play. Now its just flyers and a code for some on disc DLC.

Message 11 of 26 (139 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I buy it from ps store because i dont want the boxes.The only time i actully buy a physical copy is when its a collectors edtion of a game i like

Message 12 of 26 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
716 posts

Jul 27, 2014
Digital games are here to stay. But when faced with that decision it ends up depending entirely on the services they commit to in terms of the download.

Multiple console use, offline use, price. Those are usually what I look for. So if I can have a digital game and fight friends or my dad on our own screens. Digital is obviously the better more gratifying choice. Especially if the title is only worth one playthrough or the other person seldom uses it. Essentially I'm getting more than one copy but for the household. Though I think ps4 omitted that. Rightfully so.

Then you have drive size and convenience. If you want to swap installs constantly on offline games, well discs are good for that. But once a game gets a ton of updates or is online, you'll need the space or an extreme amount of patience to deal with constantly downloading upgrades and installs.

If you're data exclusive obviously you should be prepared to get a better drive as well as care for that drive as it probably can't be backed up. And can't be backed up without some sort of internet connection much less activated.

Data still seems more beneficial to have, as I have been through a burglary... And lost all games consoles and everything. So for me, after doing damage control and deactivating the other devices, I log in and still have the digital games. Discs cannot compete with that without some form of back up piracy.
Message 13 of 26 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I prefer to get the disc. However some circumstances make digital awesome!

For instance the digital copy of Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition I picked up for my PS4 yesterday was $8! It is so much more expensive at all the stores.

My PS4 Gaming Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/flamethroweralan
Message 14 of 26 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 27, 2014

MrAlanC wrote:

I prefer to get the disc. However some circumstances make digital awesome!

For instance the digital copy of Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition I picked up for my PS4 yesterday was $8! It is so much more expensive at all the stores.

that is sure pretty cheap. but usually its cheaper to buy instore. 

Message 15 of 26 (123 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 27, 2014

The sales on digital are the best. The super sale that's currently going...$4 - $8 dollar titles! And good ones at that. 

Message 16 of 26 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I agree 200%. I'm currently moving and all I have to worry about is transporting my PS not a bunch of boxes. Plus,  I don't trade either. If I paid for it, I'm keeping it. Any game that I purchase is one that I really wanted in the first place.

Message 17 of 26 (113 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11353 posts

Jul 27, 2014

Now that physical and digital both use the same amount of HDD space (physical games now install 100% on the HDD), I'm going (mostly) digital for one reason:  Remote Play.

You can only remote play disc games that are actively loaded in your PS4.  You have access to your entire digital collection via remote play.

As for physical games...  I tend to hold on to them long after they are worth anything to anyone, anyway, so who cares about trade/sell value?  I usually can only get a couple of bucks by the time I go to sell or trade my games.

Message 18 of 26 (108 Views)
Sackboy
481 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I own 390 games on steam. Sometimes I wish you could just drop them on eBay and make some money for new games. But in a way it would suck to sell them. I still play all the classics and play Fallout:3 still to this day. In years time most likely will play Halflife:1 or maybe Hitman:absolution. 

Message 19 of 26 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
400 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I agree with the perks for Remote Play.  It'll be even better once Playstation TV hits.  My entire game library playable on any TV in my house will be pretty cool.  

I also like digital because I transport and use my system away from home 4 nights a week.  It's so much easier to just have all my games on the HDD and not have to worry about discs. 

Message 20 of 26 (91 Views)
0 Likes