Jul 27 2014
By: joeyp203 Splicer 48 posts

Any reason why you buy a game from PS store instead of on disk?

25 replies 315 views Edited Jul 27, 2014
I've been wondering this, why do people buy games from PS store at times rather than on disk? They are the same price, I much rather have a physical copy personally but can somebody explain why they would download it instead of having a physical copy?
Message 1 of 26 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
644 posts

Re: Any reason why you buy a game from PS store instead of on disk?

Jul 27, 2014

I answered this question for my poster of the week splotlight, so I'll just leave that here.

When asked if I prefer physical or digital games, I'm faced with a difficult decision and must explain myself, which is why I'm extremely glad that I get to answer this question. Until very recently, I was infatuated with the idea of owning a physical game. To me, the feeling of growing an eternal gaming library on one of my shelves seemed almost magical, and as someone who enjoyed old-school gaming, downloading everything into a virtual library seemed just wrong. I never questioned this choice for a very long time, until I bought a defective copy of InFamous: Second Son at Target. When that disc didn't work, I was confronted with an ultimatum: I could either a) Take the game back the next day and purchase a new one, or b) Download the game now and return the defective one tomorrow. This forced me to evaluate the pro's and con's of physical vs. digital possession, and it pains me to admit that the only justification for a physical game I found was that "Magical" feeling. After years of owning (and losing) physical games, I caved in and switched entirely to digital, and am honestly glad I did. This way, no matter what happens with my game, I can always re-download it from the store. There's proof of purchase online, and I can trust the PS Store to handle my downloads for me, especially with Playstation Plus and automatic downloads. I can play my games across different consoles, pre-order with efficiency, and browse my games far easier than I ever could before. Recently, since, as I mentioned before, I'm on vacation, I've come to appreciate the ability to manage my downloads from my computer. Once I got the Destiny Beta, I activated it and downloaded it to my PS4 remotely from where I am now, knowing that it will be ready when I return home. In the end, it's too hard to make a logical argument for physical games in the modern day, and though I will always miss holding a new game in my hands, virtual is far more efficient.

Message 2 of 26 (312 Views)
Fender Bender
2921 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2014

the only reason I'd buy a game from the store. either its a classic title. or a digital only title. otherwise i always get a physical copy.

benefits of physical copy: no way of losing your copy. but chance of the game getting damaged. you can use it on multiple consoles online and offline. lend it to someone. and trade it in. even tho i dont do trade ins. i like to keep my games.

benefits of digital copy: lasts forever (unless they took it down from the library). or your account was banned or hacked. then your in trouble. but unlikely.

Message 3 of 26 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 27, 2014
Never thought of it like that, bravo.. I knew there had to be some logical reason behind why people do it. Last question, currently owning only physical copy's, can I play a game without the disk inside my playstatiin?
Message 4 of 26 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 27, 2014

nope.

Message 5 of 26 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Jul 27, 2014
I'm not allowed to buy killzone mercenary so I bought an inncent PSN card so I can play a violent hardcore game.
Message 6 of 26 (276 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
822 posts

Jul 27, 2014

I will say I prefer discs over digial games. However, I do buy a share of digital games. I do buy a few classics from time to time that I loved from the ps1 or ps2. I also buy a few that are digital only as there are some pretty good digital only titles available to play. The main reason I do decide to buy some digital games over their physical counterpart is a good sale. There are times when a game has a great online sale that I can get way cheaper than the physical version. For example, I picked up Injustice this week while it was on sale on psn for about 8$. The physical copy in stores is much higher! I have just always prefered having physical games when possible.

Message 7 of 26 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1957 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2014

Your digitcal copy has zero value, cannot be sold, lent or given away. I can understand people want stuff immediately, but at the same price? Daft. As for bad disks, that's extremely rare and hardly the end of the world.

Just look at all old consoles with cartridges. Fun from the past. Now look at what a digital equivalent offers. Nothing. It will ulitmately evaporate with the account it is tied too.

The ultimate power grab gaming (and media) companies are aiming for is to phase out disks, move to digital only puchases, which are really disguised rental/subscriptions and then the final end game: pay per play.

Message 8 of 26 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2014

I buy physical for a couple reasons. 1) I like collecting video games / consoles. 2) I worry about the future. Let's say, in 20+ years, will I still have access to re-downloading all my video games from a PSN server? I can't assume they will be around forever. If I ever wanted to hand down my games to children / grand children, as I have seen people do with their Atari 2600's and NES consoles today, I would have to believe that my console would never fail and/or I could re-download any of my games forever -- which both are unrealistic assumptions.

Plus, if I was ever that hard up for money, I can at least sell games from my collection; as where with digital -- I can not. Of course, I buy digital-only games when I have no other choice. But, if they are released physically at some point (like Journey/Flower combo or Telltale's The Walking Dead), I re-purchase the physical copy.

Nothing wrong with digital-only gamers, I personally just prefer physical.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 9 of 26 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 27, 2014

HorrorGod wrote:

I buy physical for a couple reasons. 1) I like collecting video games / consoles. 2) I worry about the future. Let's say, in 20+ years, will I still have access to re-downloading all my video games from a PSN server? I can't assume they will be around forever. If I ever wanted to hand down my games to children / grand children, as I have seen people do with their Atari 2600's and NES consoles today, I would have to believe that my console would never fail and/or I could re-download any of my games forever -- which both are unrealistic assumptions.

Plus, if I was ever that hard up for money, I can at least sell games from my collection; as where with digital -- I can not. Of course, I buy digital-only games when I have no other choice. But, if they are released physically at some point (like Journey/Flower combo or Telltale's The Walking Dead), I re-purchase the physical copy.

Nothing wrong with digital-only gamers, I personally just prefer physical.

problem is. catridges last way longer than blu rays an other optical media. ofcourse if you take care of it it will last.

but still physical is better. i think its a matter of opinion if you dont plan on trading in your games or playing on others' consoles.

Message 10 of 26 (251 Views)
0 Likes