MVP Support
9260 posts

Re: Any problems with PS3 Super Slim?

Apr 9, 2013

ScreamAimFire999 wrote:
I really hope this doesn't freeze a lot. I'm planning on trading in my slim for a super slim. The slim freezes a lot for me.

The latest slims run abit more cooler than previous slim models.

- Contact Customer service at 1-800-345-7669- Monday to Friday from 6AM - 10PM, PST and Sundays from 8:00am to 8:00pm PST
For Refund Inquiries, Click Here
To Chat with a Rep, Click here!
For the latest on everything Playstation, Check out the Blog!
Message 41 of 100 (3,826 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Hi Folks,

I bought the new ps3 super slim 6 months back. Today while playing a game, it started making a huge fan noise. While making this noise, the fan was blowing air quite heavily. The noise was like some vaccum cleaner at work. I tried to turn off and on a few times but that did not help. Next - i went on youtube and found a vid with the some one ahving the same issue. Someone gave a resolution to turn off the console then unplug and then plug it back and turn on the console. I did the same and noise was gone.

My Query - 

1. Is this a problem to be worried about?? And should i get the console replaced?

Any kind of advise would be helpful. Please help out !

Many Thanks.

Message 42 of 100 (3,775 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 10, 2013

this is NORMAL.....

this means the PS3 is getting hot and its doing its job by ramping up the rpm of the fan to keep up with its cooling needs.

turning if off and then back on again isn't going to help..... things don't just cool down in a few minutes. Especially when processor temps regularly hit 180*F.

Turning the A/C temp down a little bit, using the ceiling fan, opening a window if its cool out helps a lot with the cooling of electronics.

the reason why the super slim is a little louder is because of its compact size which means the fan design creates a certain pitch when its spinning fast, which as you put it, sounds like a vaccuum cleaner.

All you need to do, is stop playing, turn off your PS3 for 1hr to 1.5hrs and you can resume playing. 

You should be taking 15minute breaks every hour of playtime anyway.... not just for your hands, but your eyesight and overall physcial health.... move around a bit. Make a sandwich, watch something on TV. 
Its recommended. And it says so in just about every game manual. Whether its on a booklet or on the disc. Even the PS3's manual states such.

I know that we all like to sit on our chairs/couches/beds/floors etc etc for HOURS on end and vegitate until (hopefully) we get hungry or have to use the bathroom or need to get some sleep..... but theres a lot of people who ignore that. And they die from blood clots because they don't bother getting up to move and get the blood flowing. I know I'm going off on a tangent here but its best to lay it out so you can understand the weight of a situation that may not appear dangerous for most people.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 43 of 100 (3,770 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Apr 11, 2013

Thanks so much for the info. What you wrote sounds logical and makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the advise and info.

Cheers Mate !

Message 44 of 100 (3,755 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 14, 2013
Download speeds arent as good as the regular slim and doesnt seem as sturdy but plays and works well so far i got the God of War bundle and it came with the red ps3 super slim ill post here if anything happens
Message 45 of 100 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 18, 2013
I've had one for three months stopped reading disk also brought one for my wife and same problem. Had that exchanged for another slim and that's now showing signs of not being able to recognise it has a disk in the console. I exchanged: got the slim one instead my opinion is they are cheap and poorly made don't buy get the one before
Message 46 of 100 (3,652 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 6, 2013
Just got the new slim works perfect acsept when I put r.e.6 in the console it made a loud vibrating noise I dont nno why. I have had all the ps3 consoles and they all **bleep** up one way or another it does my head in all I wont to do is play on my super slim with no problems. Please tell me iff u have eney problems with your consoles
Message 47 of 100 (3,467 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

May 6, 2013

My first one was flawed within 48 hours DIsc drive kept spinning up to like 10X normal speed system would overheat then shut down...returned it second one has been flawless thus far and runs MUCH cooler than any previous model i have owned.

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 48 of 100 (3,464 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 10, 2013
I've had mine since December, and I haven't had any of the problems you guys are bringing up. I got the 250gb super slim that came with inFamous 1, 2, festival of blood, and Uncharted 1 & 2. The only problem I had was the Crunchyroll program was crashing but that seems to be fixed since I got in touch with Crunchyroll and they had me try some stuff. Seems to be that I just had to get rid of some old game data that I don't play anymore.

My system has never frozen, never overheated, never made any strange sounds, never had any sort of video/audio problems, and has read every single disc I put in it (it read a ps2 disc, but said it was unsupported software). I've used the wifi a few times, but I always prefer a wired connection, and have had no problems with either of them. My downloads are quick, my ps+ backups are always done before I even realize that it turned back on for them, and my top loading disc tray is good and sturdy. It is a little bit of a change from the front loading ps3 models, but I don't mind the top loading tray at all. It sort of reminds me of my old ps1, which I still have even though it doesn't save data any more.
My PSN
Message 49 of 100 (3,394 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

kythunder,

Any chance you could do this for me?

Message 50 of 100 (3,286 Views)
0 Likes