Oct 06 2012
By: CALI-1961 First Son 29 posts

Another Customer Lost

22 replies 341 views Edited Oct 6, 2012

This is so bad that all I can do is Laugh at myself.  Is there anyone else out there who has bought 3 or more PS3 systems in the last 3 to 4 years and at least 3 either don't work or has failed and needed to be sent in for service.  And SCE has the nerve to say with a straight face that their failure rate is less than .01 percent.  If this has happened to you please let me know.  Maybe we can inspire SCE to build a more reliable product or least put a disclaimer on the box

"UNIT WILL DEFINETLY FAIL SOON - IF YOU WANT A RELIABLE GAME CONSOLE PLEASE BUY AN XBOX"

I guess 3 systems has finally taught me a lesson.  Unfortunatley I was able to afford it, but I feel sorry for the kid out there with the broken PS3 and his only alternative is a screw driver and a hair dryer

SHAME ON YOU SCE for your disregard of the consumer / customer who buys your product only to be disapointed in the end.

My offer still stands.  I will send you 3 bad PS3 a 2 bad PSP in excahnge for 1 good PS3.  How about it

:womansad:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (341 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Re: Another Customer Lost

Oct 6, 2012

Maybe its the way you care (or dont care) for your things.....

I have a launch day 60Gb and an 80Gb working perfectly fine with never an issue..... both have been upgraded to 500Gb drives and they're still going strong.... never a dead BD drive, no YLOD, no internet connectivity issues...... NOTHING.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (338 Views)
VP of Gaming
28099 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (314 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Oct 6, 2012

CALI-1961 wrote:

"UNIT WILL DEFINETLY FAIL SOON - IF YOU WANT A RELIABLE GAME CONSOLE PLEASE BUY AN XBOX"

This is wrong in so many levels.....

But in the end it just depends on the care you give to your console and luck, if you have broke so many system then maybe is not SCE fault.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (304 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

I agree

Oct 6, 2012

They do lie about the failure rate. I have myself and all my friends as examples of their dishonesty. Plus all anyone has to do it check the numerous forums and blogs where you can read about endless accounts of  issues with PS3's.  Anyone that still has their original PS3 from 4 or 5 years ago, is lucky, pure and simple. Many, many people take great care of their systems and they still break down. The design was faulty. Sony knows it, but they will never admit it. We pay too much to be nickled and dimed with inferior components. Let's hope they don't short change us on the PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
213 posts

Re: I agree

Oct 6, 2012
Of the 20 + PS3's I've owned, operated or shown people how to take care of...

Not one has failed.

I suspect user error, though these things can happen. Sony products have always lasted a lifetime for me, while I cannot say the same thing for Microsoft.

For it to happen once is unlucky, and could viably be the hardware. For it to happen 3 or more times...

Just take it from my ex... its not me its you.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (293 Views)
Survivor
2597 posts

Oct 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure you don't take care of your devices as well as you should. With that being saying you think an Xbox will last any longer? I have a feeling when that does happens, I hope you come back.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7513 posts

Oct 6, 2012
My PS3 is from December 2008. Still ticking like new. If you broke three consoles in three to four years, you have a problem.

Goodbye. Don't hit your **bleep** on the door on your way out.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7966 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 6, 2012

The most reliable console of the current gen systems is the Wii.

It's also the least advanced.

The issue with the failure rates of early PS3's and 360's has several causes.

The first is a design flaw Sony and Microsoft had some very real issues when placing power supplies and DVD drives on top of their mother boards. Sony and Microsoft are still rearranging internal pieces to improve this.

Sony's PS3 has 25 or 26 models (16 or 17 just for that guy) counting the new super slims and each one changed around the internal design a little as opposed to the 360 which has 2 different internal designs 1 the older rectangular white and black boxes and the SLIM or stealth xbox smaller and more square.

If you looked at the inside of a slim PS3 or 360 Vs. The Older models they are completely different. They have moved around processors, fans, disc drives, power supplies, and have solved a lot of the issues that created the big failure numbers. They still have problems here and there but nothing close to the failure rates in the past. There are some 360's that have been running since launch there are some PS3's that have been running since launch. There are huge numbers of failures on both sides that no one should be satisfied with.

Repairs 2REPAIRS

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (273 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 6, 2012

rsteele wrote:

The most reliable console of the current gen systems is the Wii.

It's also the least advanced.

The issue with the failure rates of early PS3's and 360's has several causes.

The first is a design flaw Sony and Microsoft had some very real issues when placing power supplies and DVD drives on top of their mother boards. Sony and Microsoft are still rearranging internal pieces to improve this.

Sony's PS3 has 25 or 26 models counting the new super slims and each one changed around the internal design a little as opposed to the 360 which has 2 different internal designs 1 the older rectangular white and black boxes and the SLIM or stealth xbox smaller and more square.

If you looked at the inside of a slim PS3 or 360 Vs. The Older models they are completely different. They have moved around processors, fans, disc drives, power supplies, and have solved a lot of the issues that created the big failure numbers. They still have problems here and there but nothing close to the failure rates in the past. There are some 360's that have been running since launch there are some PS3's that have been running since launch. There are huge numbers of failures on both sides that no one should be satisfied with.

Repairs 2REPAIRS

I only count 17...... Do not count the model numbers with alpha designations to signify a different hard drive capacity as thats the only varying difference with the slims aside from actually having a different model number from the 2000, 2500 and 3000 series and the super slims 4000 series.

You're basically counting the hardware revision two or three times when you dont need to be..... like the 20xxA, B and C etc etc

Actually, the "huge" numbers you're leading people to believe is hearsay and speculation as well as biased and opinionated with perceptible data coming from repair facilities own assessments...... is always been a matter of fact that the PS3's upon the first 3 years had a failure rate hovering around 10-12% which is below the average industry standard of electronic devices, where household appliances have the highest failure/repair rates.

Compared to the X360 where its been on record from various news and blog sites that the failure rate was around 30-35% which is on the higher end of industry failure rates and by Microsofts definition "exceeds"... which is also why Microsoft RAN OUT of its $1 billion in its account for warrantied units within just 2 years (or was it that they SPENT that amount on warranty repair? cant remember)

And there is a forumula about how to calculate a projected failure rate on a products lifecycle and just the formula itself shows a basic graph that over a period of time shows a dramatic decline over a products lifecycle where constant improvments and revisions to it have contributed to highly acceptable failure rates whether a product is within its warranty period or not.

I found the formula on Wikipedia when searching "industry standard of failure rates for electronic devices" 

With that said..... you simply cannot base that both the PS3 and 360 have high failure rates when reading forums and even "research data" from repair centers as that will created a biased assesment. I only base such an statement because you exhibited a picture of a stack of consoles at a repair facility, as they do tend to post their opinions on console reliability.
if you add up the total number of registered users on every forum you've visitied that have threads about dead consoles, and cut that number in half.... and how its relation, in percentage, to the 65 and 67 million consoles from both the PS3 and 360, you'll see that the numbers do no correlate to the overall failure rates which are assesed globally as these two products are released globally.
I would be willing to bet that the percentage would number somewhere in the 5% or less range.

As for the Wii..... you are correct..... the console is not very advanced, its not a system that is going to be "taxed" in terms of having its resources maxxed out. particularly because it does not render video in HD, so its safe to say that the Wii has the upper hand in terms of having a very low failure rate.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (271 Views)
0 Likes