Dec 07 2011
By: QuantumPSI Lombax Warrior 231 posts

Android?

4 replies 1494 views Edited Dec 7, 2011

Ok, I've seen articles saying that Playstation Suite allows devs to make android apps that will run on the PS Vita. 

My question is this...

Will the PS Vita be able to run regular Android apps?  Can it connect to the Android marketplace and download apps?

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this.  I really hope it can, cause it truly opens up the door for its uses.  Further, I feel like it'll be LESS LIKELY to get hacked (why hack it to run an emulator when you can just make an 'app for that'?)

Message 1 of 5 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: Android?

Dec 7, 2011

@QuantumPSI ps vita uses its own os. it is not a android os. it will not use android apps because well the ps vita does not use a android os so why would it?  it will only have access to playstation suite apps that will be made. that will work on other playstation certified products. sony has said that they hope they can get other android devices on board.

it would be more likely to get hacked if it used android OS not less.

also the playstation suite does not use ps vita's native language. so people who think that getting into the playstation suite so they can hack the system will find that out soon enough.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 2 of 5 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Dec 7, 2011

Well if what you mean by " regular android apps" is regular apps, then yes, developpers can make any non-game app or game that will run on psvita as well as ps certified android devices. All apps will be checked and filtered, and I don't think sony will be allowing emulators on the ps suite. It obviously doesn't connect to the android market, because that takes away from the whole point of making ps suite, Sony made ps suite a separate store for only playstation certified devices instead of using the android market, because the Vita isnt android. If it makes you feel better, Sony did mention at a conference that they will support more devices with ps suite in the future, and hopefully it becomes as popular as the android market.

Message 3 of 5 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Dec 8, 2011

If PS Vita would have the Android Market not a lot of people will be buying sony's games and that will decrease there sells.

Message 4 of 5 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3460 posts

Dec 9, 2011

Android apps run within a java virtual machine, which is pretty much a glorified emulator

PlayStation Suite is another virtual machine. I would imagine the android version is not a java app, but one native to the hardware it runs on (a virtual machine running within a virtual machine wouldn't run very well...)

PSS is coded in C#, where android apps are in java. So no, it won't run android apps, and android apps can't easily be ported over. They have to be rewritten.

The best part is, they'll run on multiple devices. PS3 eventually, as well as Vita, Xperia Play, and Sony's tablets.

The apps will get their own section in the PSN store.

Message 5 of 5 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes