Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Re: Analysts Want $300 PS4

May 6, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

This whole "monthly cost" XBOX rumor boggles my mind. I know a few people who are excited about this, but do they think to themselves for one minute what would happen if they (for some reason) get behind on the payments?

Yeeep, I'm with you on the "locking the whole system" theory, and that would probably hurt the resale market as well. Can't do anything with an officially bricked system right, at least without employing 'other' methods. Based on my bad experience, if I had to keep paying monthly payments for a system I grew to dislike, I probably would have stopped paying all together. Who knows, maybe this could possibly affect your credit? Its something I personally would have to stay far away from, at least if Microsoft is doing it.

"If" I were to consider it, it would be paid off within a month regardless of who is doing it and would have to have a good reason for me to pay the overall higher sub price rather than waiting a month.

Message 41 of 51 (126 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

May 6, 2013
The Xbox 720 costs $299 if you sign a two year contract at $15 a month so youre paying $660 total over two years

There is no reason that Sony cant likewise sell a $199 PS4 if you sign a two year contract at $15 a month so youre paying $560 total over two years
Message 42 of 51 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

May 6, 2013
No reason why they can't, but I hope they stay away from that model. Last thing we need is subscriptions of video game hardware. If you want to pay monthly, put it on your credit card.
Message 43 of 51 (113 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

May 7, 2013

I expect the PS4 priced at 400-450. As proven before, you don't have to sell at a price below that of your competitor in order to outsell them. 

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 44 of 51 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

May 7, 2013

Wikiality wrote:
The Xbox 720 costs $299 if you sign a two year contract at $15 a month so youre paying $660 total over two years

There is no reason that Sony cant likewise sell a $199 PS4 if you sign a two year contract at $15 a month so youre paying $560 total over two years

Everything you hear regarding price of the next generation of consoles is complete speculation and wild rumors.  There have been no official announcements from either camp in regards to price points.

Just because M$ started the contract-subsidized pricing on the 360 doesn't mean it will stick around for the NextBox.  It doesn't hurt that M$ basically FORCES their customers to subscribe to XBL by 'hiding' pretty much all online functionality behind said subscription.

Message 45 of 51 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

May 7, 2013

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Would this be possible for a model like this at launch?  The next xbox is supposed to have $300 subscription based model and a $500 one.  If sony wants to stay competitive I could see a basic model at this price.  

The 720 will be more exs  spensive than the ps4.

Simple reason as to why, is because the 720 will be a cable box plus dvr...

It will also have a blu ray player built in this time...

All kinds of bells and whistles are going to be in the 720..

Unlike the ps4 which will be more main stream gaming this time.

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 46 of 51 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

May 7, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/69700-analyst-wants-a-300-playstation-4

People don't realise that Wii u is old hardware and they are making a profit of off it. It only cost's nintendo $180 to make a wii u,  The reason why current gen consoles are still at arount $300 is because they want to make lots of profit off of this.  This is NOT due to the high manufacturing costs.  7-8  year old consoles are cheap to make.   The new consoles will be using cheap AMD apu's for their new systems and they do not have to create custom chips which saves on cost.  It IS possible, but im not expecting it to be no more than $350

Um, who says it takes $180? Is that the price for just the components or something? Because Nintendo already stated each system is selling at a loss at the moment.

Really??? That is funny, because a week after launce on fox business channel nintendo said after sell 1 game they made a profit on the wii u...

Explain that....

Photobucket

Message 47 of 51 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

May 7, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

How much do you guys think the PS4 might cost? How much do you guys think it will cost to maufacture it?

The PS4 will likely start out in the $420-450 range.  As for manufacturing cost:  A standard 8-core AMD processor and system board will currently run you about $250.  An AMD Radeon 5650 costs about $200.  8GB of GDDR5 memory would cost about $200 if you could buy GDDR5 RAM separately.  Take off about 25% for OEM savings, and you're looking right about $500 just for the major components.  Add in the 6xBlu-ray, PSU, cooling and other components and you're up to about $600.

Wow hate to shop where you do... way to high for the gpu... I have that card and it cost $85 made by amd...

Also the APU they are using cost around $140... It is the APU a10- 5800k..

The memory is only sold by companies who sell to companies building gpu's..

So that is a little hard to price, since no one sells to average people...

Photobucket

Message 48 of 51 (66 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

May 7, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Given what has been promised as to what the PS4 will be able to do, the price tag should be above $400

-I expect one tier, as sony has always done. We don't want the WiiU market strategy.

-If in order to get the PSN I was promised on the PS PS4 announcement, I have to pay, then so be it. I hope there are two tiers: FREE & PS+.

--This is jumping on the If realm--

If SONY does release two PS4 flavors standard & premium then please someone help me understand what would the difference be. A bigger HDD? A bigger HDD and/or color has  been the lamest marketing strategy for which people have fallen. The strategy works but not with me.

So please, what would be the key features that would only be on the premium version that will not handicap the standard version?

Every report has mentioned there being two models, rumored to have a $100 difference in price between them. A different hard drive size would be the safe bet, but it could also differ in terms of accessories too, such as cables or the Eye, etc. Nobody knows for sure just yet, so you'll probably have to wait until E3. It would be wise to include a second controller in the more expensive model...I hate how consoles nowadays only come with one, but I digress.

It has already been stated that online multiplayer will remain free...they're not going to an XBL model. Details have not been confirmed, but it seems likely that there will be two subscription tiers: 1) PS+ only, as it is now, and 2) PS+ & Gaikai. It is unclear whether Sony will allow you to subscribe to just Gaikai without PS+. But if so, PS4 users would essentially have four options if you count not subscribing to any service as one of them.

If there is a $100 difference in cost, it is likely the 'core system' ($420) vs a 'bundle' ($520).  Much like the PS3 has been in the last couple of years.

The more expensive tier would have both a much larger HDD and a game or two.  Or alternatively, include 2 years of PS+ or a year of PS+ & Gaikai.

@xClayMeow:

Of course we won't know for sure till SONY officially addresses these points during their E3 presentation. Till then we are just having some fun with logical speculation Smiley Wink

When I made  reference to PS+ I was referring to PS+ & Gaikai.

With that said:

• I believe the two PS+ and Gaikai, the services they represent, should be marketed and sold together; that is one price for both premium services. 
  • When it comes to PSN & Gaikai, I don't like the separation of names. Gaikai should become PSN. The less companies it sounds/feels that the end-users are signing up with the better.

@BBurgSteve:

A PS4 launch bundle priced between $500 to $550  that includes:

• a bigger HDD than that of the core system
  • HDMI cable [if this isn't already included on the core sytem sale]
  • one disc game
  • PS+
  • of course PS4, DS4, PS4-Eye, etc...

Would be a good idea.  With that said, I would trade the bigger HDD & HDMI cable for a second DS4.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 49 of 51 (61 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13736 posts

May 7, 2013

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-profitable-with-just-one-software-sale-6400457

I assume you're talking about this.

The system by itself still sells at a loss. Must be a smaller loss than most other consoles, but still a loss. It's probably because most of the games they have are ports, or just really low development cost games, and since they're selling for what, $60? Wouldn't be too hard to make up a difference.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 50 of 51 (56 Views)
0 Likes