Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Re: An issue with my PSP screen

Mar 5, 2010

My 3000 has the exact same issue.  I can't see it in games but it's very noticeable when watching videos, especially during dark scenes just as others have mentioned.  If it were prominent in games I'd return it, but seeing how many others have this problem with the 3000 I'm not going to worry about it. 

Message 41 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

May 20, 2010

Well, a little update here. After sending in over 4 units, I'm giving up. Every "new" 3000 unit I get back from Sony has the same screen problem. They are not fixing the issue, just sending me out different units. Gee thanks Sony! Guess I'll just have to live with it. 

Message 42 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

May 20, 2010

"What you're actually seeing is light refraction.... like a prismatic light effect..... if you hold your PSP at an angle towards a good light source, you should notice a very slight bevel around the edges of the screen lens which causes light to refract off the screen lens and onto the screen, creating the illusion of a border around the playing screen, slight imperfections in this bevel can cause the border to appear squiggly or jagged..... I've attached an image to give you a better idea of what im talking about.

EDIT: The reason this might be more noticible on white and silver PSPs is because the lighter colored shell allows more light to bleed out around the screen edges...... hence adding fuel to the fire."

Rabid_Moose is correct. I've owned 7 psp's, and repaired/ refurbed over 500. Easiest way to test this is take the psp apart and look at the screen with no front face plate on. Also he's correct about lighter color units as well, silvers seem to show it worst , i think due to there reflectivity.

Message 43 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 25, 2010

Well, I just got a PSP 3000 model (Australian 3002) and the same thing is happening. This one is silver too.

Sadly it's out of warranty so I can't even try to get the thing replaced. Unless I could complain to Sony hard enough and point out this forum.

Are that many people having issues with this? Do many not even notice this problem?

Message 44 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Jun 25, 2010

The slight slight discolorations on the edges of an LCD screen?

Almost every device I've ever owned had this issue... It's not bad, I just think it's the the mirror behind the LCD with slightly imperfect edges, never bothered me...

The PSPgo is actually the first device I ever got to not have this problem... Even if it's there, I don't notice it.

Now, on my iPhone, it's a different story. Quite annoying actually...

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 45 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 25, 2010

Nah, this isn't backlight bleeding which I've experienced before.

This is a strip half the size of the width of your fingernail that runs around the edge of the screen. Here the pixels are lighter (discoloured) compared to the rest of the screen.

It's as if water got there (but it's not water as others have reported).

Kind of like putting a screen protector on and not having the edges stick to the screen so the colors are different.

Message 46 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Jun 25, 2010

all the 3000's i have seen and owned have had this issue. you cant see it in daylight. im not sure if you are having the backlight edgeing bleed but it certainly sounds as though this is the case

Message 47 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jun 25, 2010

yup, you are experiencing what myself and many others have. Sony won't fix the problem either. As you'll notice above, I went through 4 units before I just gave up. They just kept sending me refurbished silver units that had the same problem. What's depressing is that my original unit was the best out of all of them. Each one they sent me was worse. Either learn to live with it, which I have, or sell it and get a black one or a PSPgo. I've heard the black ones don't have this issue, or at least it isn't quite as severe. Good luck!

Message 48 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1263 posts

Jun 25, 2010
Get a PSPgo
Best cover art ever! on Twitpic
Message 49 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 25, 2010
I'm just amazed that Sony can get away with creating these products.

I'm also amazed that not that many people noticed this issue. My PSP 2000 was flawless so I noticed this immediately.
Message 50 of 72 (244 Views)
0 Likes