Apr 24 2013
By: havocsarmy Fender Bender 3987 posts

Am I the only one who hates multiplayer on Jrpg's?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 172 views Edited Apr 24, 2013

Playing Ragnarok Odyssey is a good game, but the multiplayer angle threw me for a loop.

Looking at the box cover and in-game preview, I THOUGHT this was going to be a single player experience with AI help

In fact this game gets harder as you progress.

I'm not going to buy anymore of these games- I don't have wifi nor 3G. Plus I don't want my game shared with anyone- I'm a solo player and old schooler

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 1 of 10 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Re: Am I the only one who hates Jrpg's?

Apr 24, 2013

Your thread title is a bit misleading I think. You mention enjoying old school gamer and a solo player. Have you played any of the following JRPG franchises or games?

• Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest
  • Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  • Persona
  • Dark Cloud
  • Cross Edge
  • Tales of series (such as Tales of Graces f on the PS 3)
  • Rainbow Moon
  • Breath of Fire
  • Disgaea
  • Atelier

Not all RPGs on the Vita require you to have an online connection or 3G. Disgaea 3, Persona 4, Atelier Totori Plus are 3 examples of solo play. Atelier Totori is a bizarre game though, something that likely won't appeal to too many gamers.

Message 2 of 10 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Apr 24, 2013

I love FF, but don't like people getting into the game with me.

Multiplayer is what I hate when it's on a potentially great game

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 3 of 10 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

You do realize you can play Ragnarok Odyssey as a Single Player game. Right?

Online Multiplayer in RO is optional. If you're having a problem with a certain level then you can either

1) "Grind" more through levels before it (do realize this is not to level your character, but to try to level your weapons),

2) "Equip different cards"

3) or "Change to a different character class" to see if that helps.

So, there are ways to get through on Single Player.

Message 4 of 10 (155 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13564 posts

Re: Am I the only one who hates multiplayer on Jrpg's?

Apr 24, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

Playing Ragnarok Odyssey is a good game, but the multiplayer angle threw me for a loop.

Looking at the box cover and in-game preview, I THOUGHT this was going to be a single player experience with AI help

In fact this game gets harder as you progress.

I'm not going to buy anymore of these games- I don't have wifi nor 3G. Plus I don't want my game shared with anyone- I'm a solo player and old schooler

Well, for one, Ragnarok Odyssey isn't a typical JRPG.

It's a game based off the MMORPG, Ragnarok Online.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 10 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Apr 24, 2013
The only other JRPG I can think of that has multiplayer is White Knight... and that is more online co-op doing missions.

Rag Ody is based off a MMO like glacius said, what are other JRPGs that have multiplayer? This seems like a non-issue...

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 6 of 10 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11728 posts

Apr 24, 2013

Ragnarok Odyssey, from most the times I've heard about it, is the focus being centered on its online elements. When researching and coming into a game such as this you figure that you can't escape what you're getting into, that you're buying yourself into an online-centric game.

White Knight Chronicles International I believe to be the only Japanese RPG I've played so far that enables some kind of connectivity with other players. Not playing the game long enough though, I never was able to step into that aspect of the game. Knowing that the online element would be there beforehand though, I figured I could check out the online portion eventually if ever I decided to step away from the single-player. With a game like White Knight Chronicles though, I don't believe the networking part is linked up with the single-player in any major way that makes playing online a requirement. Some RPGs, such as Dead Island, combine cooperative play for players to lend a helping hand, while others of course are multiplayer-exclusive, like that of Final Fantasy XIV. Even if a game has an online component though it doesn't always mean you have to use it to get through the game.

Message 7 of 10 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10011 posts

Apr 24, 2013
I've never even played ragnorok online i'm just fine with the single player
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 8 of 10 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Apr 24, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

I see. Your thread title says you hate JRPGs yet Final Fantasy is a JRPG. You should've made the title "Am I the only one who hates multi-player gaming". There are very few Japanese RPGs that contain online components. The upcoming Soul Sacrifice will have have online co-op but also simply playing solo. Very few games require you to use the online components at all. Or even require you to be logged into the PS Network. I'm not sure I know of any that allow random or uninvited people to jump into your game, except for the Little Big Planet series but even that doesn't force you accept someone jumping in unless you allow it to do so.

I don't care for online gaming either. I'd far rather play solo than anything else.

Message 9 of 10 (119 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
246 posts

Apr 26, 2013

you should try the soul sacrifice demo.  you can play that in SP mode with AI help and can save monsters in teh game to gain new AI helpers.  The online part with real people is awesome too.  It comes out on tuesday but you can try a demo now and it has both multiplayer and SP with AI help.

Message 10 of 10 (79 Views)
0 Likes