VP of Gaming
29167 posts

Re: Am I really the only person on this forum that thinks Knack looks stupid?

Nov 9, 2013

Video games don't have to be about dismembering hoards of the undead, or riddling countless non-descript soldiers/aliens/supernatural beings with more bullets than the the military could possibly budget for in a year in a colorless wasteland. You can play something colorful and whimsical, despite it not being "hardcore" enough. One of my favorite games is actually Ape Escape, and at first glance yes it looks "stupid", but the more you play it, the more addicitve it gets.

Seems to me that this is less about the actual game, and more about not wanting to tarnish your gamer "street cred".

Message 31 of 34 (482 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6095 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

Actually it's a matter of perspective...

Some of us grew up on Playstation 1 and have fond memories of platformers like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

Some of us moved up from Playstation 1 and then to Playstation 2 - thoroughly enjoying Jak and Ratchet and Clank.

Then something odd happened during the PS3 cycle - those type of games vanished (besides Ratchet and Clank). 

While Activision tried (with the failed Crash and Spyro reboots), they have no idea how to make excellent platformer games, they just know how to create shooters. Shooters are what dominated this passing gens consoles.

Which made me super excited to hear the very person who help with the Spyro, Crash, Jak, and Ratchet and Clank games, who also is the LEAD ARCHITECT of the PS4, was creating a game for us purist who remember a time when those titles were the most fun, a true platformer for the first time in a long while.

While some shrug it off because they think it's a kids game, people do not realize that the game is overly difficult, not because it's cheap but you have to be smart as the player or you'll die easily. Not only that but while off screen and video's that have been shown, just doesn't do it justice of what it really looks like in person. Some think, "Well that could have been done on the PS3" , this realization is unfounded due to the fact the game is one big physics simulator, particles are individually crafted and broken off as you play, too much in fact that next gen hardware was the only way it could even be possible. Often times, you hear that it looks like a Pixar film and while many games claimed this this gen, Knack pulls it off perfectly to a T. Game looks gorgeous and in 1080p more so than ever, so my advice is to maybe... if you get time, try it out or check it out at a store that has it on display - you might be in for a surprise Smiley Wink! Day one purchase btw...

Message 32 of 34 (479 Views)
MVP Support
14124 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

I didn't sense any hype surrounding Knack because it's a brand new PlayStation franchise. Wait until the game is released, buy it, and then you can decide to see if it's entertaining to you.

Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 33 of 34 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Its more of a kids / family game. Id never buy it but it does not mean its a bad game

Message 34 of 34 (464 Views)
0 Likes