VP of Gaming
28544 posts

Re: All PS3s need full Backwards Compatibility

Feb 27, 2012

I know it will fall on deaf ears, however I must explain to you that the console business is predicated on the console being what's called a "loss leader". That's a product you make very little, if any money on, so you can sell things that go with it, i.e. GAMES. They don't make money when you buy a Playstation 3 and then you play your ten year old PS2 games. If you're playing PS2 games, then you're not BUYING PS3 games.

If you really want to play PS2 games, then buy a PS2. They're still in production and not exaclty rare. If you're going to say "but... but... but... but... I want to play them on a PS3!", well you had your chance to do that about five years ago. He who hesitates is lost, my friend.

Message 11 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4602 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Wanted to add on this that Sony probably saved a large chunk of changed removing the RSX emulator as well.  Not all is lost though, as you can always buy a used 60GB If you really want to do so.  Just get PS Plus, backup your daily game rotation save data, and if push comes to shove, get it reflowed for a decent price.

Btw.  Dang CA!  You've been a member here forever!  Where was I???

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I know it will fall on deaf ears, however I must explain to you that the console business is predicated on the console being what's called a "loss leader". That's a product you make very little, if any money on, so you can sell things that go with it, i.e. GAMES. They don't make money when you buy a Playstation 3 and then you play your ten year old PS2 games. If you're playing PS2 games, then you're not BUYING PS3 games.

If you really want to play PS2 games, then buy a PS2. They're still in production and not exaclty rare. If you're going to say "but... but... but... but... I want to play them on a PS3!", well you had your chance to do that about five years ago. He who hesitates is lost, my friend.

Blue Led Status achieved 10-26-2004
9-09-09

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 12 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Prenihility wrote:

Too "taxing" on the PS3s processor? No reason to have backwards compatibility because games are being rereleased on PSN? ...Um, yeah, i'll give you a reason. I already OWN those games. So why in the HELL would i have to buy them AGAIN to play them? This is a Playstation 3, not a Playstation 0.5... Also, prices going up? Thats extreme BS. Seing as it's software, software which they already have, most likely.  

All PS3s having PS1 BC wasn't even premeditated, most likely.  If they wanted it to actually have BC, PS2 games should be playable on all PS3s aswell... That's 2 generations behind, not 1 (AKA; the PS2).

Typical fanboy nonsense...

What don't you understand? If they released an emulator for PS2 playback via firmware update it would have to emulate both the PS2's GPU and CPU. When I say its too taxing for the PS3 I mean its too much workload for the Cell Processor to handle emulating 2 chips at full speed. Many many games would not work simply because there isnt an actual chip. When they emulated the GPU in the 80gb model, 10% of all PS2 games would not work or be playable, while another 20% of games suffered many bugs, glitches, freezing, etc. If the CPU is also being emulated, then I'd wager you'd only get 50% of games that would work, and of course there's be tons of semi-playable games buggy as hell.

They kept the PS1 emulator because it takes nothing really to emulate the old PS1. The PS3s hardware is very different from a PS2, and the only way you will ever be able to play the physical PS2 DVDs again is for them to put the PS2 hardware back int othe system. It's not going to happen. Save $$ and buy a 60gb/20gb/ or early 80gb model. Although less energy efficient and more prone to YLOD, they are superior to the Slims.

Message 13 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28544 posts

Feb 27, 2012

HeartBreaker213 wrote:

Wanted to add on this that Sony probably saved a large chunk of changed removing the RSX emulator as well.  Not all is lost though, as you can always buy a used 60GB If you really want to do so.  Just get PS Plus, backup your daily game rotation save data, and if push comes to shove, get it reflowed for a decent price.

Btw.  Dang CA!  You've been a member here forever!  Where was I???

CaptainAlbator wrote:

9-09-09

Go Blue!!

Not only that, but you can find a PS2 dirt cheap these days. They're not exactly rare.

Message 14 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4602 posts

Feb 28, 2012

Forgot to mention that as well.  Not only is that a much cheaper solution, but most likely you will have a piece of memoribila in the future!

"Not only that, but you can find a PS2 dirt cheap these days. They're not exactly rare. "

9-09-09

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 15 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 29, 2012

i think so too,i dont understand how we can purchase playstation 2 classics but wont let us play playstation 2 games on our ps3.

Message 16 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Re-read the other posts. I explain very clearly why playback of physical PS2 DVDs or ISOs is impossible unless the game datais tweaked to work on PS3

Message 17 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 3, 2012

Pickpocket1993 wrote:

i think so too,i dont understand how we can purchase playstation 2 classics but wont let us play playstation 2 games on our ps3.

it wont let you cause they reformated them for download so its different then playing a dvd version of it... they took out the emulator that can read dvd formated ps2 games and now you have to buy it on psn... if you seriously want to play them as others have said go buy a ps2 or find a use ps3 with 4 usb slots... if it has 4 usb slots it can play ps2 games

Message 18 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Mar 22, 2012

Ok but still they should keep it for people just starting to get playstation or. Convenience

Message 19 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28544 posts

Mar 22, 2012

Pickpocket1993 wrote:

Ok but still they should keep it for people just starting to get playstation or. Convenience

Goodness gracious, why? You can buy a PS2 anywhere, and the games are under ten bucks at GameStop. There's piles of them, I know I've seen them. There's no shame if you own more than one console.

Message 20 of 83 (7 Views)
0 Likes