Feb 26 2012
By: Prenihility Lombax Warrior 99 posts

All PS3s need full Backwards Compatibility

82 replies 98 views Edited Feb 26, 2012

By full BC, i mean the games should work as they do on The consoles they came out on.

I pop in MGS 3 in my PS3, and it runs at 20 FPS... That's just ONE example.

Not only give us that ability, but make sure that PS3s with software emulation-based BC capabilities get 100% compatibility, with no issues, which we all know is very, very possible, and Sony doesn't deny that.  

People need to step up and demand Sony gives every PS3 user the ability to play their PS1 and PS2 collections on their Playstation >>>(3)<<<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxdvz39pK4&feature=plcp&context=C3514554UDOEgsToPDskJVe1CVoqo7WJfF5U...

Message 1 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Re: All PS3s need full Backwards Compatibility

Feb 26, 2012

ALL PS3's can play PS1 games using software emulation, that hasn't changed. Because the new PS3's (since late 2008) have had both the PS2's GPU -and- CPU removed, it is impossible to play PS2 format discs. It was possible in the early 2008-model 80gb PS3s for the system to emulate to Emotion Engine CPU, but it still had the physical PS2 GPU chip. The compatibility on this model was in the 70%-90%. Emulating the GPU in addition to the CPU would be way to taxing on the PS3's cell processor. Also, with the way things are looking with HD remasters or HD Classics being released on the PSN, there is little reason why Sony would suddenly bring it back. There really isn't that much of an outcry for the feature to be brought back, and with HD Classics/remasters, people are becoming more satisified with what they already have. I own the original 60gb system and i have to say I'd hate to not have BC tho!

Message 2 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Feb 26, 2012

that is some good points... i dont believe it is needed to bring thing bc back since sony is releasing the ps2 classics on psn like Yami stated and they are remastering some ps2 games and adding in trophies and everything... plus too many people are buying ps2 stuff for ps2 and ps3 for ps3 so why in their right minds would they add in anything tht isnt needed... it puts unnecisary costs on the manufacturing and not too many people will use it so it isnt needed

Message 3 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 26, 2012

There is a huge demand for PS2 compatibility on the PS3. It's the number 1 requested feature on the Playstation Blog Share (http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/). My brother, for example, pampers his old PS3 because he bought it with PS2 capabilities and gave away his PS2. I myself have tons of PS2 games, but only have a half-dozen PS3 games and a dozen downloadable games.

I've played as many old PS1 games as I have PS3 games on the PS3. I would enjoy PS2 games even more. Some are older but classic RPGs or quirky action games that no one would ever bother to "remaster" to the PS3 for the general market.

Message 4 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 26, 2012

I'm sure Sony could properly emulate the PS2 on the PS3 if they really wanted. There was a Sony patent for it drifting around the interwebs a couple years ago. I bet if they opened up development on the PS3 someone might even do it for them.

Message 5 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 26, 2012

From what I remember they issued the patent to prevent any third party company from making their own way to play PS2 games. The only way that they can allow non-BC models to play PS2 games is to convert them to work on PS3, which is what the PS2 Classics are = PS2 games tweaked to work on PS3. This means PS2 DVDs themselves cannot be played. For them to release some possible emulator that emulates both the GPU and CPU of the PS2 at full speed would be too stressful and taxing on the PS3 itself.

Also, the compatibility is lowered everytime hardware is removed.

- Emotion Engine + GPU (20gb/60gb systems) = 99% of PS2 games work, with a few odd ones that don't

- GPU + emulated Emotion Engine (original 80gb system) = 70% of PS2 games work with little to no issues, 20% with some graphical bugs, glitchs, etc, and maybe 10% that flat-out don't work.

Now imagine both the GPU and CPU being emulated on the PS3. Not only is this going to likely not run at full speed, but I can imagine a large majority of games not working because of the missing physical chips.

EDIT: And about you suggesting them opening the system up. There is a USB dongle called Cobra USB that basically lets you run PS2 games off your internal drive, burned disc, etc. While this is mostly for BC models, it works with Slims and the other non-BC models. Problem is since the entire PS2 is being emulated, most games don't work, and many suffer from lag and graphical issues (fyi - Cobra USB only works on hacked/jailbroken models).

Message 6 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 26, 2012

I looked at that Cobra USB just now. It accesses an old Sony PS2 emulator that is on the PS3, but disabled. Not everything is emulated so trying to use some functions would just fail. Of course it would also be buggy and slow if Sony only intended it for a couple of the early hardware versions and never updated it. I bet Sony could make a far superior emulator if they wanted to with their inside knowledge of the Cell Processor, PS2, and PS3.

Also of note it looks like the Cobra can be configured to use a far better interface than the actual PS3 to play games and everything else.

Message 7 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Feb 26, 2012

flerchjj wrote:

I'm sure Sony could properly emulate the PS2 on the PS3 if they really wanted.

Sony does want to but they know they shouldnt because it would bring up the price... they know it would be cheaper to just buy a ps2 and play it on there... and also eventually they will have every ps2 game on ps2 classics

Message 8 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Feb 26, 2012

If it hasn't come back by now, it's not coming back at all.

Message 9 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Too "taxing" on the PS3s processor? No reason to have backwards compatibility because games are being rereleased on PSN? ...Um, yeah, i'll give you a reason. I already OWN those games. So why in the HELL would i have to buy them AGAIN to play them? This is a Playstation 3, not a Playstation 0.5... Also, prices going up? Thats extreme BS. Seing as it's software, software which they already have, most likely.  

All PS3s having PS1 BC wasn't even premeditated, most likely.  If they wanted it to actually have BC, PS2 games should be playable on all PS3s aswell... That's 2 generations behind, not 1 (AKA; the PS2).

Typical fanboy nonsense...

Message 10 of 83 (98 Views)
0 Likes