Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: Afraid to buy the PS4!

Jul 8, 2013

As stated previously from other posts, backwards compatibility wont be on the ps4 (excluding Gaikai) for both hardware and business reasons.

1. The ps4 would need to be a lot more powerful to emulate the ps3 games.

2. From the business standpoint, you cannot just ditch the ps3's. If the ps4 was B/C, many people (including myself) would just trade in their old ps3's for the ps4 because it would be pretty much useless to have.

3. If a lot of people trade in their ps3's, then developers wouldn't need to create games for the ps3. Why would a developer want to waste time and money to port a game to the previous generation console that barely anyone has?

The fact of the matter is you really shouldn't be that upset about it not being B/C. Yeah, it might get annoying having so many consoles in your house but it can't be that big of a problem. Personally, I love the nostalgia of bringing out older consoles and playing the games that I grew up with on their respective consoles.

Message 31 of 63 (151 Views)
Sackboy
464 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Seriously, my roommate has the launch model (aka BC version) of the PS3 and guess what it still works fine today. He never had to rebuy it. My brother has a launch version as well, and it too is perfect. Some people just had a bit of bad luck but it's not Sony's fault. EVERY manufacturer of whatever will have faulty products. No one is ever 100% perfect products. Just saying.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 32 of 63 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 8, 2013

The Xbox One and PS4 will be my last consoles i rahter just stick to PC afterwards

Message 33 of 63 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Its called upgrading i can just go and buy a more powerful GPU

Message 34 of 63 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Jul 8, 2013

I will stay away from xbox one i was actually going to give it a try with no bc starting over and all that i have only owned a playstation.  With xbox going the direction of a cable box my mind quickly changed.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 35 of 63 (132 Views)
Sackboy
569 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

I don't think I've ever had a name brand electronics device fail on me. When I was a kid I bought a giant 15 year old CRT Sony tv for my bedroom. $30. Lasted me years until I picked up an RCA CRT that I used for years until I wanted an HD tv...

All my consoles, cartridges, cds, everything...never had one thing crap out on me except for maybe stereo equipment(but I suspect that was my cats chewing on the cords). I'm not sure what some people do to their stuff or maybe I'm just lucky.

For anyone worried about their ps3 dying why don't they just sell their console & pick up a brand new one when the price drops?

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 36 of 63 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 8, 2013

A price drop should be done now for the PS3 its till $280 they should pull the price down to at least $199 the price on that PS3 went up instead of down when the other slims were out there they were sold for a good price $249 and they buffer up the price for a cheap looking console.

Message 37 of 63 (102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Well than maybe you are made of money or maybe you still live at home and mommy and daddy are buying your video games.  Either way, you really have no concept of money and Sony is taking a crap on their customers.  I for one if I do buy a PS4 will only rent games because it is a waste of money to me to purchase games and than have to sell them for a quarter of the price (if that).  I love my old games and I still pull them out and enjoy them (and I will for years to come).  I will certainly enjoy the newer games, since that is what a new console is all about.  But to have to blow the dust off of my old system (which Sony will eventually stop supporting) instead of just making the new system back compatible is a stab in the back.  Instead, Sony will charge their customers again for the games they already purchased so they can continue to play them on Gaikai or Gookoo or whatever and if that is ok with you than a money tree must be growing in your back yard.  Must be nice!!

Message 38 of 63 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 11, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

Well than maybe you are made of money or maybe you still live at home and mommy and daddy are buying your video games.  Either way, you really have no concept of money and Sony is taking a crap on their customers.  I for one if I do buy a PS4 will only rent games because it is a waste of money to me to purchase games and than have to sell them for a quarter of the price (if that).  I love my old games and I still pull them out and enjoy them (and I will for years to come).  I will certainly enjoy the newer games, since that is what a new console is all about.  But to have to blow the dust off of my old system (which Sony will eventually stop supporting) instead of just making the new system back compatible is a stab in the back.  Instead, Sony will charge their customers again for the games they already purchased so they can continue to play them on Gaikai or Gookoo or whatever and if that is ok with you than a money tree must be growing in your back yard.  Must be nice!!

So you'd rather they had announced the price of FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE DOLLARS, all over again? Repeat the same mistake they made with the PS3? You know why they had to remove the PS2 backward compatibility on the PS3? Because they had to use the PS2 hardware to allow backward compatibility, and that drove the price up. Guaranteed, if the PS3 had come out without backward compatibility, you would have seen a similar price.

In order to allow backward compatibility with discs, they would have to include the PS3 hardware in the PS4, because the Cell architecture from the PS3 and the x86 architecture from the PS4 are completely incompatible with one another. It would be like an ape trying to mate with a bird, the x86 architecture in the PS4 simply can not understand the coding on PS3 discs. To include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 would have driven up the price, and they didn't want that. They didn't want a repeat of what happened with the PS3. This is the price of progress. Get over it.

I for one am glad they did not include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 and drove up the price. $399 was pretty much the maximum my fiancee' and I were willing to spend, and I'm glad they stuck with that.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 39 of 63 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 11, 2013
It's not about the PS5. My concern is Sony's attitude toward back compatibility. You are completely missing the point!
Message 40 of 63 (66 Views)
0 Likes