Jul 07 2013
By: GAMECREEP First Son 23 posts

Afraid to buy the PS4!

62 replies 838 views Edited Jul 7, 2013

If the rumors are true that the PS4 will not be backward compatible with other PS games than I have this one question.  Why in the world would anyone want to purchase PS4 games with the fear that PS4 games will not be compatible with PS5?  I know that it's a ways off but it's a serious concern.  Now I either have to hold on to my PS3 console in the hopes that it will never break down to play my PS3 games or sell them now to get some sort of money for them!  What a bunch of crap!!  I have invested so much money into my PS3 and now it's potentially useless.  I know what you're thinking.  Hold on to your PS3 man and stop your whining!  I don't want to have multiple systems in my home and if it does break, I'll have to buy a new one or get it fixed.  I'm not made of money.  Also, what I don't understand is that Sony is saying that we can't support older games because of the new architecture.  That is the biggest lie of all.  Microsoft Windows has had back compatibility with older games since as far as I can remember.  It's called a software update folks! It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with hardware.  I can play old DOS games on my Vista machine so why not old PS games on the PS4.  I'm just saying that I am very nervous.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 63 (838 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6003 posts

Re: Afraid to buy the PS4!

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013
Message 2 of 63 (831 Views)
MVP Support
39470 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

If the rumors are true that the PS4 will not be backward compatible with other PS games than I have this one question.  Why in the world would anyone want to purchase PS4 games with the fear that PS4 games will not be compatible with PS5?  I know that it's a ways off but it's a serious concern.  Now I either have to hold on to my PS3 console in the hopes that it will never break down to play my PS3 games or sell them now to get some sort of money for them!  What a bunch of crap!!  I have invested so much money into my PS3 and now it's potentially useless.  I know what you're thinking.  Hold on to your PS3 man and stop your whining!  I don't want to have multiple systems in my home and if it does break, I'll have to buy a new one or get it fixed.  I'm not made of money.  Also, what I don't understand is that Sony is saying that we can't support older games because of the new architecture.  That is the biggest lie of all.  Microsoft Windows has had back compatibility with older games since as far as I can remember.  It's called a software update folks! It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with hardware.  I can play old DOS games on my Vista machine so why not old PS games on the PS4.  I'm just saying that I am very nervous.  Any thoughts?

It's not a rumor it's true, & the PS5, assuming there is one is nearly 10 years out, & no, it's not a serious problem.

In any event some older games will be allowed via Sony's streaming service.

I'm not getting a PS4 on release day but I will be some time next year & it'll be to play PS4 games not PS3, I use my current PS3 to play PS3 gamres not PS2.

Move on everyone, nothing new to see here at all!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 63 (825 Views)
MVP Support
10911 posts

Jul 7, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

For most of us, it is a moot point on two fronts:

1 - I, for one, am keeping my PS3, even after the purchase of a PS4, to keep playing PS3 games that I still want to play.

2 - Very few previous generation games hold any interest for me once I start playing the next generation of games.

Example:  I owned a PS2 up until about 2008 when I bought my PS3.  Since my PS3 was backward compatible, I was able to trade in my PS2 toward the purchase of a few PS3 games.  I can count on one finger the number of times I played a PS2 game on my PS3 in the three years I owned a B/C model (I have since traded it in toward the purchase of a newer, quieter, non-B/C model).

Message 4 of 63 (821 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Jul 7, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Link to every "PS4 no have BC?" or "PS4 cannot into PS3?" thread ever.

And a list of all the reasons why that I've encountered.

• Convenience - Yeah, slash lazyness
  • My whole PS3 library has been rendered useless - Solution: Keep PS3
  • Why would I want to have to huge consoles hooked up to play games (Somone actually said this)
  • It costs money to keep both - No in fact it does not
  • It will be a gold mine, I tell ya' - False, the cosole would be needlessly expensive because it's basically a PS4 with a PS3 built in
  • Put a PS3 disk reader inside the PS4 - Which is just putting the PS3 inside the PS4
  • Why not make a cable to connect the PS3 to the PS4 so I can... - Note: the PS3 would be right next to the PS4, playing the game and streaming it to the PS4
  • PS4 can't play PS3 games because Sony is lazy - Yeah, okay. The x86 architecture cannot emulate cell engine/Different Architecture
  • PS4 should play PS3 games because they're both blu-ray - Fallacious argument. Do not respond because this person does not know what they were talking about and will refuse to acknowledge the truth. It will carry on for at least seven pages. They believe they are correct. / Different architecture
  • PS4 games won't be any better, I need it to play PS3 games - Aside from the minute uptick in graphics, simply put, the PS4 alows for more of everything.
  • won't enjoy PS4 titles - Why buy a PS4?
  • don't have any space - Put the PS3 away, you won't play it everyday. Guess what I did when I wasn't playing my N64: in the box
  • I only have one HDMI in - Most HDTV's, even older ones, have multiple HDMI inputs; when all else fails: HDMI switch
  • I would pay for it - Yeah, you, not the average consumer which needs to be considered to sell anything
  • have to sell my PS3 for a PS4 - Probably the most logical of the bunch
  • was never gonna' play PS4 games on my PS4, just watch movies and play PS3 games - That's just silly. I don't approve.
  • I don' wanna' - Entitled
  • Online communities will be empty because everyone has a PS4 - False, if everyone is frothing at the mouth for PS3 games they will not simply empty like *that*
  • The PS3 is selling horribly so Sony is pushing out a half baked PS4 - PS3 overtook Xbox 360 sales some time ago, it's gaining steam
  • The PS3 will die suddenly when the PS4 is released - Sony has a ten year plan for their systems. The first two lasted longer than a decade. I expect nothing different from the PS3, only 7 years old.
  • What if my PS3 breaks - What if your PS4 breaks/Buy a new one/You will be able to find someone to fix it
  • What if Sony drops support; they've lied before - Not about the ten year life cycle

ALL THE THOUGHTS YOU COULD EVAR WANT.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 5 of 63 (818 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Jul 7, 2013

LOL cuz I buy a new system for new games not to play my old games on them

Message 6 of 63 (805 Views)
Fender Bender
3641 posts

Jul 7, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

The PS3 and th PS4 are TOTALLY different systems in every way. What you are saying is almost like saying the the PS4 should be able to play VITA games. It is not a simple matter of software. When  games are made for multiple systems, they are in essence making 2 games. It is not simply a matter fo updating some software to make a PS3 game playable on the PS4. iIt sounds like you have invested a lot of money into your PS3. I totally understand that (I have well over 100 games and 2 PS3 systems, move controllers, PS eye etc.). If you never bought the PS4 and your PS3 broke down you would still be in the same situation you would be in if you bought a PS4 and your PS3 broke down. Here is my plan: From the looks of the rear of the PS4, the power supply input looks identical to the PS3's and the fact that they ahve already confirmed that the PS4 will not have a power brick is further evidence of this. So what are we dealing with? 3 cables! An HDMI, the power supply and the ethernet cable. I will be leaving all three of those connected as is. When I want to play a PS3 game, I just have 3 cables to disconnect and swap out. It takes less than 30 seconds. This is a very monir issue. Keep your PS3, keep your cables hooked up and enjoy both systems! If anything the fact that you will be playing both systems will extend the life of both of them as well.

Message 7 of 63 (801 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Jul 7, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

You have got to be kidding me. We buy a PS4 to play PS4 games. If you love your PS3 then keep it. Dont want a ton of consoles then either dont get PS4 or sell your PS3. I have to ditch my old consoles every time a new one is released but i dont care because i can play them on my PC with emulation. Just that simple. Emulation would help you a lot in this case dude.

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 8 of 63 (784 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 7, 2013
PS4 not being B/C is not the end of the world. Its a PS4, MEANT for PS4 games. If you want to play PS1,2 or 3 games, buy the console meant for those. Jeez people...
Message 9 of 63 (605 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11701 posts

Jul 7, 2013

GAMECREEP wrote:

the onle reason why the ps4 isnt backwards compatible with ps3 games mainly because the ps4 would need to be more powerful than it is inorder to emulate the cell processor..  but we dont know what is planned for the ps5..  who knows, with the steps they made to make the ps4 easier to program for it might be possible that the ps5 may be backwards compatible with ps4 games provided sony doesnt take to mauch radical changes on what architecture the ps5 would run on..  

>

Message 10 of 63 (605 Views)
0 Likes