Nov 05 2012
By: dtbecker First Son 19 posts
Accepted Solution

Advanced Format, work with old PS3?

[ Edited ]
6 replies 759 views Edited Nov 5, 2012

I am upgrading my hard drive this month, but I want to know if Advanced Format drives work with the old 80GB PS3? All Western Digital drives have this technology and I wanted somebody to confirm if it works.

This drive features Advanced Formatting Technology:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Cache-Desktop/dp/B00461G3MS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie...

Message 1 of 7 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2612 posts

Re: Advanced Format, work with old PS3?

Nov 5, 2012

I think it does, I believe a Firmware update some time ago added support for those but I can't be 100% sure.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 7 (749 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 5, 2012

From what I am seeing PS3 slims and super slims work just fine with this technology. But, older PS3's are different and don't have the same internal hardware for harddrives (from what I researched)

Message 3 of 7 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

Nov 5, 2012
Hello,

I am running an Advanced Format Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB (WD7500BPKT) in my PS3 CECHL01 (one of those fat ones). Recognized without a hitch, games load considerably faster and Skyrim is a lot more fluid than it used to. Smiley Happy

From my experiences, I would say go for it.
Message 4 of 7 (713 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Nov 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your post. The only reason I was worried because someone on Amazon said they had issues with the Advanced Format Drive, but the older BEVT drive had no problem.

I will try an Advanced Format Drive. I have the same PS3 you do and same version.

Message 5 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 7, 2012

dtbecker wrote:

Thank you so much for your post. The only reason I was worried because someone on Amazon said they had issues with the Advanced Format Drive, but the older BEVT drive had no problem.

I will try an Advanced Format Drive. I have the same PS3 you do and same version.

I don't see why Advanced Format won't work on a PS3, as they could fallback to 512B mode (called Advanced Format 512e) if needed.

That said, avoid the Scorpio Blue series. They seem to have aggressive power-saving methods and shuts itself down periodically to save power. This causes serious stuttering issues from what I have read. Scorpio Blacks are more performance-oriented, and don't seem to be affected by this issue. Skyrim plays smoothly on mine. Smiley Happy

Post back on how it turns out! Smiley Very Happy

**EDIT: Also, be careful of what you buy there. You need a 2.5" 9.5mm drive, otherwise it wouldn't fit in the PS3's drive bay. Just noticed you linked to a Desktop Drive (3.5") which is just too big for the PS3's drive bay. There's also 2.5" 12.5mm drives, which also does not fit in the PS3's drive bay, so read before you click buy.

Message 6 of 7 (684 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 7, 2012

I will do so. I will go for Scorpio Black 500GB (seems to get good reviews). Just wondering, would the Western Digital Blue 500GB work, or would it likely suffer from power saving technology?

EDIT: Whoops, judging from your previous post, I should the the Scorpio Black.

Message 7 of 7 (678 Views)
0 Likes