Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: Adam Sessler leaves gaming industry for good...

Apr 4, 2014

Mikraphne wrote:

At the same time, what was not to bash? It cost more than a 360 and came out a year later with less features than an Xbox. It took them over a year to finally implement DLNA into it. Many people only bought it to play bluray movies, and it wasn't until about midway through its life cycle that it started to consistently come out with great exclusives. I love Sony as much as anyone, but I am also a realist. M$ absolutely killed it in the first half of last gen's life cycle. The Cell processor was a nightmare to work on, so developers just ported stuff over from the 360, which many times made a buggier version. I love my PS3 and find myself playing it more than my PS4 right now, but I am willing to admit many of the shortcomings of the console.

Now, it seems that the tables have turned with the PS4 vs. X1, which is very ironic.

Yeah the multiplats were usually trashy on PS3, but I blame that 100% on lazy, inept game developers not taking pride in their work.

I could toss a slice of cheese in the PS3, but i wont expect it to play well.  Is that the PS3's fault?

Especially when it was able to launch with games that looked better then 95% of all multiplats until as you say around 3 yrs into its life cycle.

Games like Resistance and motorstorm are beautiful but they actually used the console's cell, not simply relying on the GPU to do absolutely everything.

Ps3 was obviously the more capable and feature rich console even straight out the gates, despite the 360 having a yr lead.

I def value bluray playback above DLNA.  Hardware wise what was not to love about the launch 60GB?

But the fanboys like Adam would always play off the fact that the 360 HDD was small and expensive to replace, supported flakey tech like HD-DVD, was not capable of actual 1080p output or even came with HDMI at all.

It had Halo or gears or something and that I guess was enough to trump alll the superior capabilites the PS3 had, lol.

I also feel differently about the PS4.  Its so bare bones and featureless comapred to the xbone and actually costs more and comes with less.

Its only real advantage now is the ability to play  games at 1080p, better controller, and possibly better exclusive games but time will tell and each person will feel differently here.

Its almost enough to convert me, but I dont want to be stuck at 720p gaming for yet another gen when we were suppossed to get 1080p last gen a heck of a lot more then we ever did.

Another factor is neither system has any games out yet that I would play, except maybe Killzone and Infamous, not really enough to rationalize buying a $450 console for.

Now my decision will be made by the console who secures the best exclusive contnet for upcoming games like Withcer 3 and Starwars battlefront.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 51 of 52 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Adam Sessler leaves gaming industry for good...

Apr 5, 2014

Mikraphne wrote:

At the same time, what was not to bash? It cost more than a 360 and came out a year later with less features than an Xbox. It took them over a year to finally implement DLNA into it. Many people only bought it to play bluray movies, and it wasn't until about midway through its life cycle that it started to consistently come out with great exclusives. I love Sony as much as anyone, but I am also a realist. M$ absolutely killed it in the first half of last gen's life cycle. The Cell processor was a nightmare to work on, so developers just ported stuff over from the 360, which many times made a buggier version. I love my PS3 and find myself playing it more than my PS4 right now, but I am willing to admit many of the shortcomings of the console.

Now, it seems that the tables have turned with the PS4 vs. X1, which is very ironic.

Actually, the PS3 did everything the 360 did. DLNA is actually just a way to setup a media server on your home network. 

Ps3 natively played most common media formats for music and video. 

To have a 360 have the same specs as a PS3, it cost MORE to have a 360 match a PS3 than just buying a PS3.

Even now, buying a 360 to match a PS3 cost more than a Super Slim. 

From purely financial standpoint. 

But cost issues aside. Yes, even Sony themselves apologized to everyone bout the PS3's difficult to develop Cell processor. But now we're past that and there are loads of developers coming to Sony to develop for the PS4. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 52 of 52 (476 Views)
0 Likes