Highlighted
Aug 06 2013
By: theQore Lombax Warrior 147 posts

Account creation glitch

5 replies 111 views Edited Aug 6, 2013

This may or may not be solved on the forums. Please don't give me another link to a help center or another thread. Heres the problem I keep running into:

I would go to create a new account and of course the desired name is taken. I'll switch back to my main account and try to create a message to the name. I get a message saying that the username does not exist. I also go to the public trophies search and it would come up with "No User Profile" yet somehow the name is taken.

I have brought up this problem to the Playstation support and they have absolutely no clue why it does it and how to fix it.

I continue to search for a name to make and I stumble across this one that I'm currently using. I type it in the account creation sign up and it says that it is available, however I had to leave and shut off my Playstation. I come back about 40 minutes later and it says that the name is taken. The very same name they said was available 40 minutes ago. Once again, I contact support and they did not have an answer. The next day I decide to try again and it turns out to be available again.

I am wondering if that has anything to do with why some other nontaken names are unavailable. If this has happened to you, please post. If you have an answer please post as well. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Re: Account creation glitch

Aug 6, 2013
Maybe because you were in the process of using the name but instead of finishing the account creation you backed out. Then trying later showed it was already taken because there might be a time frame to create an account and use that name. After the time frame is up the user name becomes available again.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 2 of 6 (102 Views)
MVP Support
14456 posts

Aug 6, 2013

I've seen a few threads saying the same thing - "I tried to create a user name, but had to leave and now it's taken".  Likely when you start the account creation process the program puts a temporary freeze on the name so that nobody else can take it while you are completing the registration process.  Then, should the full registration process not be completed the freeze is released some time later.

Why not budget your time properly and create accounts when you're not in a rush?  Problem solved.  Nothing could be simpler.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 3 of 6 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Aug 6, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

I've seen a few threads saying the same thing - "I tried to create a user name, but had to leave and now it's taken".  Likely when you start the account creation process the program puts a temporary freeze on the name so that nobody else can take it while you are completing the registration process.  Then, should the full registration process not be completed the freeze is released some time later.

Why not budget your time properly and create accounts when you're not in a rush?  Problem solved.  Nothing could be simpler.

I really wasn't in a rush. Something personal popped up and I had to leave. But this still doesn't answer my question as to why some names are "taken" but there is no account created with the name.

Message 4 of 6 (91 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14456 posts

Aug 6, 2013

Dunno on the "ghost" names - have you tried over a period of a couple of days to register them?  If PSN support doesn't know, then I really don't know who else you could contact to get an answer.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 5 of 6 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Aug 6, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Dunno on the "ghost" names - have you tried over a period of a couple of days to register them?  If PSN support doesn't know, then I really don't know who else you could contact to get an answer.

Yes I've tried some names a few times and their still somehow taken. I heard someone talking about sony reserving some names. I don't know if that's true.

Message 6 of 6 (77 Views)
0 Likes