Mar 05 2012
By: DarkOne_PR First Son 20 posts

AR Games, Good For Sony?

5 replies 202 views Edited Mar 5, 2012

WARNING: English Its not My First Language So Sorry for all the errors you WILL find on the article. Thanks!

AR Games its something the gaming companies are focusing right now. With the release of the PS Vita and with games like Reality Fighters and Little Deviants, and on the PS3 which use the PS Eye Like EyePet, shows to everyone the capabilities of AR. But has Sony exploded the capabilities of AR in a smart way? The Awnser IMO its Yes and No, and I'll let u know why.

EyePet_E3_screenshot_02_copy.jpg

EyePtet for the PS3 was kool but missed Sony's Market

Now guys, Do anyone Remembers an AWESOME game called Eye of Judgement? Yes that game that was created by the famous creator of Magic the Gathering TCG? You know the one who Implemented TGC with AR for the PS3? No? You guys don't remember? Well then... thats the whole point! How a game as Awesome and revolutionary as Eye of Judgement Went under the Radar of many many gamers? Well There are 2 reasons for that... Marketing and Whole new TGC game mechanics

eoj-bundle-pack425.jpg

Do you Remember Now?

Well For the First one. Its to no surprise to anyone that Sony (Even when I love them so much) are kinda "lazy" with their marketing. My own Expirience with this game was a weird one! I actually am an employee of GS right now. I started working there in late 2006, the same time the ps3 was releasing. Then on October we recieved on the boxes this game which nobody on the stores knew it was coming! and they just put it on the shelves w/o any notice of anyone. But I always wondered "Damn that looks really kool! I wonder whats the camera for?" I took it out of shelf, read everything about it and decided to buy it. When I played the Game I was IN LOVE with it! Called all my friends and told all about it! But heres the thing, No one and I mean NO ONE else knew of it! I even knew of it bc of that curiosity that got into me and at the fact that I work in a Video Game Store. But to anyone else out there... How could they even know the game existed or how amazing it was?! Anyways The whole point of this part is, Sony Needs to Put effort to marketize things that DESERVE to be marketized, like Eye of Judgement.

249664064_a2bb82f7da.jpg

Yes, we ALL were playing Alone...

Now the second point... New TGC game... WHY?! Sony had the technology to back up a game like this... but why not support this kind of AR technology with something EVERYONE knew about it? Why not create this game with "Magic the gathering" or even better "Yu-Gi-Oh" since this last one had an AMAZING RANGE IN THE MARKET!? (Kids and grown ups play Yu-Gi-Oh).  This was a Great missed opportunity for this Technology to come forward, instead of creating a new TGC franchise that only some (myself included) dared to try! The rest of the TGC gamers are already Installed in what they like! Thats not even mentioning Yu-Gi-Oh was HOT in that moment and Still everyone play it!) All of this got me to think... WHY SONY DIDNT EXPLODED THIS ON THE MARKET!

2592%2525252520-%2525252520anime%2525252520disappointment%2525252520facepalm%2525252520frustration%2525252520text%2525252520yu-gi-oh.jpg

Ok so to finish this article, the whole point is Augmented Reality is a Great Thing to create and to market out there. Sony just need the right tools to make it successful and to come on top of the competition. We all Love Sony and its products and I always im up to creative and innovative things! (like eye of judgement). But not everyone out there its as dedicated as ourselves. They are mainstreamed minds wich needs to be attaked with what they like and watch on TV. Sony, I know AR games are going to become a new thing for the PS Vita... Start Tackling the market out there with a game for the Vita and PS3 of Yu-Gi-Oh. This is not a wishlist on my part. its a way of telling you that the augmented reality market its out there waiting for a company to give them a reason to give in into AR, and Sony can give the first blow! This is a great way to catch up more market for the PS Vita and to live up the great technology behind Eye of Judgement.

Message 1 of 6 (202 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Re: AR Games, Good For Sony?

Mar 5, 2012

Sorry I forgot to write this in the finishing lines... 

What Do you guys think. Is it a good idea? Do you think Sony is doing just fine? What will you want to see being done in AR? Let me know in the comments/Replies below Thanks a lot for reading!

Message 2 of 6 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I do see that AR could and should take up a great deal of developement time. With the Vita and the Playstation they have the tech and groundwork down for this ability.

I play Eye of Judgement still and have been playing the AR on the vita (little Deviants, and the three AR freebies).

I think we need to not only talk about the video aspect tho. AR is also the GPS funtionality like Near, the motion senor aspect like the aim feature in Uncharted GA, and the true movement mapping of the PS Move. All these technologies act together to give the feeling of being in the game more than a simple controller ever could.

I am really looking forward to the growth in this area and what developers come up with for the PS3 and the Vita.

LLP

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 3 of 6 (202 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I bought the PSvita early edition bundle with the Little deviants "pack in" game, The 4GB memory card and the PSvita case. Along with Uncharted Golden Abyss, Dungeon Hunters advance, lumines Electronic symphony. But I have not used those AR cards since the PSvita store and on-line features were not up and running on Feb 15th 2012.

Sony hasn't really done a whole lot to market those AR cards. I have yet to use them. AR cards could be a good thing for PSvita hopefully Sony will do something creative with them?

Message 4 of 6 (202 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Thanks a lot for reading. Eye of judgement its a great game! Glad u still play it! I dont have anyone to play it with .
apart of that I love all the vita functions but im more of a classic gamers, still games like EoJ can change one opinion

Message 5 of 6 (202 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Yes thats exactly my point! When I was selling the Vitas Nobody knew it hasthe 6 cards and what was their use. :/ Thanks for reading! hope u liked the article

Message 6 of 6 (202 Views)
0 Likes