Nov 04 2012
By: darklyger64 First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

A way to bring games at my friend's house

10 replies 225 views Edited Nov 4, 2012

I have a question.

I know that game sharing was implemented to bring games that you bought from PSN store to share with one of your friends/other people's PS3.  Since that limitation was set to only 2 PS3s, and my family owns 2 PS3s, with that in mind. I can't game share the games that I bought. 

My question is, is there a way for me to bring the games I bought to my friend's house withou the hassle of bringing my whole PS3.  For instance a way to place my hard drive to a friend's house without reformatting the hard drive.  The closest answer I've come upon is back up files, but that would mean my friend's hard drive files would be gone and replaced with mine, which is an inconvenient for him.

So, with game sharing and using my hard drive not being applicable as choices for my conundrum.  Is there any way at all that can make me play my downloadable at a friend's house?  I feel that this is really inconvenient since these games that i own are digital and with the limitations set by PS3 I was hoping that there would be a possible way to do this.

Thank you for any future replies. 
I appreciate your time and effort upon reading this thread.

Message 1 of 11 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7775 posts

Re: A way to bring games at my friend's house

[ Edited ]
Nov 4, 2012

Well, if you got a backpack I suppose you can tow your entire PS3 whenever you visit your friend. It shouldn't be that heavy.

That's the only way you can do it without deactivating one of your PS3s and activating your friend's.

Message 2 of 11 (218 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11838 posts

Nov 4, 2012
Game sharing between PS3's that YOU DO NOT OWN is not allowed under Sony's Terms of Service, which you have agreed to.
Message 3 of 11 (208 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
5 posts

Nov 4, 2012
Well, I just dislike the idea of plugging my PS3 in and out of his place whenever I go visit or play at his place since he doesn't have the game that we want to play. It's kinda a hassle to bring my PS3 every time, I know in Xbox they allow you to use your hard drive on other consoles without reformatting the hard drive.

Though I am thankful of your response, I just have a surgery which disables me to lift anything heavy or any excessive work to avoid any complications. I hope you can understand my situation at this current moment. It's really an inconvenient for the next 2 weeks.
Message 4 of 11 (202 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 4, 2012
Yes, and as I stated earlier, the intent of using game sharing was there, but was not applicable for we have already used it in both of our PS3s. Therefore; I did not practice anything that would regard into breaking Sony's Terms of Service.

Thank you for your heed of warning, and it is very much appreciated.
Other than bringing my PS3 to my friend's house, is there any methods of means that allows me to play PSN games to my friend's house.

Message 5 of 11 (201 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9569 posts

Nov 4, 2012

darklyger64 wrote:
Yes, and as I stated earlier, the intent of using game sharing was there, but was not applicable for we have already used it in both of our PS3s. Therefore; I did not practice anything that would regard into breaking Sony's Terms of Service.

Other than bringing my PS3 to my friend's house, is there any methods of means that allows me to play PSN games to my friend's house.

The intent of being able to activate multiple PS3s is to play games on multiple PS3s that YOU own.  It is not intended to game share (which is a violation of Sony's Terms of Use).

The activation limit used to be 5, now it is 2.  The reason for this is that people were rampantly stealing revenue from the game developers.

As for playing at your friend's house, there is another option that it doesn't look like you've considered: have your friend buy the game you wish to play and support the developer in so doing.

Message 6 of 11 (195 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10655 posts

Nov 4, 2012

darklyger64 wrote:

I have a question.

I know that game sharing was implemented to bring games that you bought from PSN store to share with one of your friends/other people's PS3.  Since that limitation was set to only 2 PS3s, and my family owns 2 PS3s, with that in mind. I can't game share the games that I bought. 

My question is, is there a way for me to bring the games I bought to my friend's house withou the hassle of bringing my whole PS3.  For instance a way to place my hard drive to a friend's house without reformatting the hard drive.  The closest answer I've come upon is back up files, but that would mean my friend's hard drive files would be gone and replaced with mine, which is an inconvenient for him.

So, with game sharing and using my hard drive not being applicable as choices for my conundrum.  Is there any way at all that can make me play my downloadable at a friend's house?  I feel that this is really inconvenient since these games that i own are digital and with the limitations set by PS3 I was hoping that there would be a possible way to do this.

Thank you for any future replies. 
I appreciate your time and effort upon reading this thread.

Again what you thought of their reasons to allow you to have up to 5 console activations somehow got in your head that meant you can gameshare with friends..  im sorry but that is definatly not what sony origionally intended when they imposed that limit..  it was intended for you to use on only the consoles you yourself would have access to, like say a 2nd ps3 that may be in the same house. im sorry but as it is right now your only way to do it now is to bring the ps3 with you

>

Message 7 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10655 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 4, 2012

darklyger64 wrote:

what alot of people were doing was NOT the intention of sony to allow...   they only allow you to share content with multiple ps3s of which you OWN, as sony knows people has multiple ps3s and may want to share all the content with all of them.

you have to understand that this is technically counts as piracy..  if only 1 person buys the game for $20 then shares it with 4 others, that would be a loss of $80 for the company that made the game

>

Message 8 of 11 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7775 posts

Nov 5, 2012

darklyger64 wrote:

Though I am thankful of your response, I just have a surgery which disables me to lift anything heavy or any excessive work to avoid any complications. I hope you can understand my situation at this current moment. It's really an inconvenient for the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to hear that you have surgery, I hope your recovery goes well.

That said, a bag with wheels shouldn't put much stress on you.

Message 9 of 11 (171 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Nov 5, 2012

You can't install a ps3 hardrive into another ps3 without formatting it.  You know you could always just bring the console itself without the cables if your friend also has a ps3 and just use their cables and controllers.

Message 10 of 11 (163 Views)
0 Likes