Jun 13 2013
By: Northumberlo First Son 1 posts

A secondary controller design for the PS4

5 replies 1258 views Edited Jun 13, 2013

First time posting in the forums, not sure if I can post this here so I thank you for your consideration.

I tried posting a Suggestion on the playstation website but it was restricted to 200 Characters so I had to dumb it down considerably as my message was 1731 Characters long.

Here's what I iniatially wrote:

After watching the E3 conferences and listening to many people on the popular internet forum "reddit", it's becoming increasingly likely that long time Xbox fanboys will be making the jump over to Sony.

It is for this reason that I have a suggestion that i think would greatly benefit your company. A secondary controller with slight adjustments to capitalize on migrant players.

When the PS3 first came out, it was the first console that i had bought. I enjoyed the games, but I hated the controller to the point of selling the console for an xbox instead. This would later turn out to be a huge mistake after several of my consoles RROD'ed.

The dislike of the dualshock3 seems to be a popular trend with a lot of people on the internet, who chose xbox solely on having the better controller.

Here is a list of things that can be improved upon:

- Ergonomic handles
- Alternate left analog to prevent thumb clash
- Concave Triggers (this was my biggest pet-peeve)

As simple as that, people will have no reason to choose Xbox over Sony based solely on controller.

As an added slap in the face to Microsoft, you should name the controller something that will reflect their players abandoning them. Here are some suggestions:

- The Refugee
- The Rebirth
- The Culture Shock

Sony had a huge success at E3 and it's all everyone is talking about on Reddit. Microsoft dropped the ball and Sony was right there to catch it. Microsoft received only a few polite claps that they had to wait for, that were awkward and forced by the audience.

Sony had thundering applause of approval.

Hopefully this means Sony listens to their consumers and I hope you will listen to my suggestion and take it into consideration.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (1,258 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5153 posts

Re: A secondary controller design for the PS4

Jun 13, 2013

It's probably too late to change the design of the DS4, and they definitely shouldn't alter based on your reasons. If Xbox gamers want to switch to the Playstation, then they can get used to the Dualshock. The DS4 has concave triggers.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 2 of 6 (1,046 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 13, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

It's probably too late to change the design of the DS4, and they definitely shouldn't alter based on your reasons. If Xbox gamers want to switch to the Playstation, then they can get used to the Dualshock. The DS4 has concave triggers.

No necessarily...well, for the officially licensed DS4, probably, buy im sure 3rd party companies will make an alternated joystick version of it. I honestly dont know why people like that so much..its so awkward...its hard to play with your hand spread over such a huge controller.  But..Anyway..

I don't think the controller design will stop people from jumping ship from Microsoft's atrocity.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 3 of 6 (878 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28676 posts

Jun 13, 2013

"Make it the same as the XBox controller so I won't have to get used to it" is not a valid reason to change it.

Message 4 of 6 (778 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 13, 2013

The Return of the Barracuda Smiley Very Happy

我わくう我わこう我わじん我わ人不つるぎにてすべてのつみをかりとり悪をめつする
PSNID:BalmungTaichou
Vita owner PS4 owner(hopefully)
Message 5 of 6 (307 Views)