Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Re: A good day to be an Xbox fanboy...

Apr 5, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

What is the point of always online?

To protect publishers from used games sales and piracy.  

Message 11 of 21 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Dr_McNoob wrote:

Beastingonu247 wrote:

And to force you to buy a subscription to use the console at all.

I remember an interview where someone at Activiaion was saying the biggest mistake they made was letting people continue playing COD without paying a subscription fee.  They said everyone is so hooked now they can and should have charged waht-ever they wanted.

Seems Microsoft thought that was a great idea.

Nextbox motto will be "It only does COD"

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 12 of 21 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

so Microsoft can watch you through the Kinect camera and present relevant ads 

Message 13 of 21 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5178 posts

Apr 5, 2013

I used to be a Sega fan before they stopped making consoles and then switched over to Sony PlayStation. It would be nice if the Xbox brand went under and a Sega Dreamcast 2 came out. I can dream can't I?

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
225+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 14 of 21 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 5, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

I don't have a huge problem with "always on" as long as it's done well.  It's surprising that anyone would try to defend it at this time though, with the high profile failure of Sim City in that regard.  I have to wonder if the next XBox was always online, would they still require payments for online services?  I would assume so, but still requiring it for non-subscribers to "check in."

kaz tweet.png

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/320058270444298240

this is a Parody account, for those who don't use twitter.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 15 of 21 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Dr_McNoob wrote:

Beastingonu247 wrote:

I remember an interview where someone at Activiaion was saying the biggest mistake they made was letting people continue playing COD without paying a subscription fee.  They said everyone is so hooked now they can and should have charged waht-ever they wanted.

Thats what they WISHED..... its also the easiest way to alienate their customer base in a hurry. Remember, this is coming from a company that is known to "McDonaldize" games and a CEO/President that has made some pretty upsetting statements. Probably why he hasn't made any statements/interviews in a little over a year.

Keeping the investors/stock holders happy is all well and good so you can get a nice fat bonus and everyone can line their pockets... but at the expense of alienating their user base? Nah.... people may be stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. 

Sure, they may slap a subscription fee for COD.... and then what? their expectations wouldn't be met and the game is a total flop regardless of how well it sold overall.... then the next year, they continue keeping the game free and then its business as usual again making 10x more money in revenue than they spend in development.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 16 of 21 (206 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 5, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

I used to be a Sega fan before they stopped making consoles and then switched over to Sony PlayStation. It would be nice if the Xbox brand went under and a Sega Dreamcast 2 came out. I can dream can't I?

We all dream like that.... Im glad I still have 3 of them. 2 are still BNIB. Still can't find a copy of Shenmue2

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 21 (203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Thread has been cleaned up a bit. Please keep it on-topic and free of inappropriate content. Cat Frustrated

space_cape!!

Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 21 (196 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Apr 5, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

Dr_McNoob wrote:

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Thats what they WISHED..... its also the easiest way to alienate their customer base in a hurry. Remember, this is coming from a company that is known to "McDonaldize" games and a CEO/President that has made some pretty upsetting statements. Probably why he hasn't made any statements/interviews in a little over a year.

Keeping the investors/stock holders happy is all well and good so you can get a nice fat bonus and everyone can line their pockets... but at the expense of alienating their user base? Nah.... people may be stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. 

Sure, they may slap a subscription fee for COD.... and then what? their expectations wouldn't be met and the game is a total flop regardless of how well it sold overall.... then the next year, they continue keeping the game free and then its business as usual again making 10x more money in revenue than they spend in development.

From what i have seen most COD players are like crack addicts, they dont see anything but the title, they will do anything and everything to get it.

COD never has lived up to expectations, except the expectation that nothing will change as far as graphics and gameplay.

At this point, just like with crack addicts once you get them hooked you jack the price, they have no choice but to pay.

Its why I stopped playing COD after COD 4, and why I am not a crack head.

Thats the thing here to, they say this in public and know they have no worry of losing their fan base, just like when Booby K was bashing PS3 and its users publicly, basically saying we deserve lower quality then xbox.

Everyone probably heard this guess what?  COD breaks sales records consistantly.

The only thing that happens later is the games see less play time as the realization its the same as last time sets in, I see people on my FL play the latest COD's for a couple weeks and move on, for previous versions it was more like months, soon people will be sick of them just days after purchase and yet will flock in droves to buy the next title on the promise of reliving the glory days of the earlier COD's mostly BO1 and COD4 IMO.

First ones free boys, go to town.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 19 of 21 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Microsoft released a statement saying this guy doesn't represent the views of the company and we haven't made any statements about the console blah blah blah. Pretty much the cookiecutter explaination most were expecting. If anything, this has made me more curious to see what Microsoft will announce when they finally showcase their next console. I was very excited when the PS4 was announced and everything that's coming with it so far but I want to see how Microsoft responds.

Message 20 of 21 (161 Views)
0 Likes