Lombax Warrior
221 posts

Re: [Petition] A New Subscription Option For PS PLUS!

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

escjsc wrote:
@Jung
Which is better? Getting more paying customers through a cheap service or retaining few through a rather more expensive one?

Well I think what's especially interesting about your original suggestion is that you seem to propose a way to do both!

I'm not business savvy enough to really understand the complexities of this, although it's my understanding that when talking about establishing new customers, it is generally favoured to work towards a greater volume share of the market, even at the expense of quality in the product.  However I've also heard it's generally thought to be much more expensive losing customers than it is rewarding gaining them (again, not a businessman - just trying to repeat what I've heard along the way).

It's a smart thought though, because by offering these tiers you could be appealing to the established fan by offering them a high quality version of the service they have come to love, but at the same time appeal to newer consumers with a lower starting point to introduce them into the system (and then hopefuly have them upgrade at a later date).

My only concern with this though, is that given Sony's new mega networks and what not that they are building, I'm not sure how much more it is in fact going to cost them to maintain over the system they have been currently using.  I would hope that $10 from every PS user who plays online would be more than enough, but without strong numbers I don't know if that cost actually goes so much further into th $50 PS+ fee than we're all anticipating.

Your concept is solid though

Message 21 of 27 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55402 posts

Re: [Petition] A New Subscription Option For PS PLUS!

Jun 21, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

FiveFourteen wrote:

escjsc wrote:
@Jung
Which is better? Getting more paying customers through a cheap service or retaining few through a rather more expensive one?

Do you not know how the gaming industri works? No matter what they do people will buy. 

that did not answer escjsc's question and I am commenting because I've been reading you guys and really want to know your answer to his question of which is better.   

If you have proof that people will buy anyways feel free to post a link, otherwise answer him PRETTY PLEASE!

As much as I hate to say it, here's your proof: http://www.xbox.com

Microsoft's policies have been completely the opposite of consumer-friendly, particularly when it comes to XBL (and I should know - I had XBL for seven-plus years), and yet, people buy it. 

Sony's multiplayer policy for the PS4, while not ideal, will work.  Maybe you will see a significant drop in players, maybe you won't. 

If I am Sony, I would rather provide a better service for my customer base, and if charging for it is the only way to maintain it (as well as my profit), then that's what i will do.

No need to hate saying it, I wanted the link and a better explaination of why he assumes that!   Thank you!

Message 22 of 27 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Re: A New Subscription Option For PS PLUS!

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

I've mentioned a few times in various threads that I wouldn't mind paying a subscription for a better online multiplayer experience but I'd much prefer to have such a plan separate from the current PS+ content model.  I'd play precious few, if any, of the games you get, and I'd be constantly grumbling about being forced to pay for something I don't want and never use. 

I don't doubt the point that was made about people buying it anyway, whether they include a couple of plan options or not, but I'd hope the views of people who have staunchly purchased every generation of Playstation are at least considered.

Message 23 of 27 (91 Views)
Platinum
55402 posts

Jun 24, 2013

MindAssassin wrote:

I've mentioned a few times in various threads that I wouldn't mind paying a subscription for a better online multiplayer experience but I'd much prefer to have such a plan separate from the current PS+ content model.  I'd play precious few, if any, of the games you get, and I'd be constantly grumbling about being forced to pay for something I don't want and never use. 

I don't doubt the point that was made about people buying it anyway, whether they include a couple of plan options or not, but I'd hope the views of people who have staunchly purchased every generation of Playstation are at least considered.

This is the type of "noise" Sony should see IMO.    They should know that people feel like this, if they don't already, so they can figure it into the decisions they are making.

Message 24 of 27 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Jun 24, 2013
When did $4 a month become expensive?
Message 25 of 27 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Jun 24, 2013
@ general_Tso_57: When everything else became expensive of course.

@ Everyone: When is the last time you saw a game with a LAN option(aka offline MP)?
我わくう我わこう我わじん我わ人不つるぎにてすべてのつみをかりとり悪をめつする
PSNID:BalmungTaichou,balmungfury
Vita owner, PS4 owner(since week 3)

Get your Portable ID!
Message 26 of 27 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

@General_Tso

$4 is not expensive on its own, but imo, it becomes expensive if you don't feel you are getting enough value for that $4, especially if its being paid on multiple months. IIRC its $10 for a single month (haven't seen official word yet on month by month) and $50/year, which turns into ~4.17/month in the long run.

@Balmung

Rayman Origins was the last one I was interested in, it was also one I hoped had online multiplayer (I'm primarily single player on consoles)

I would agree with the OP as it coincides with the only legitimate (imo) complaint I've seen since the Plus requirement announcement. While I personally think PS+ is well worth the money and I'm praying for a better network with just as few ads, I can NOT decide what my neighbor values. I've already gone multiple months in the past not being able to even turn on my PS3 because I had other important bills. If you asked me at that time whether the year sub I paid for months before was worth it, I probably would have said no and asked how much you would buy my PS3 for. I'm just saying its all a matter of values.

*Deleted paragrah thats basically just the OP, except I say ~20/year, $5/month. Only offline features, multiplayer, the upgraded downloads system, and maybe the sharing feature or portions of it. Leaves out free PS+ games, discounts, Gaikai streaming, uStream, and whatever else is left*

Just don't force people to choose between all or nothing, its stupid. Oh and while I'm still typing, can we do away with the whole "Add Funds" deal? I just want to pay for selected games, not have Sony hold on to my money for me. Thats just cash I can't use and will remain there taunting me until I decide to buy another PSN games. It got me so irritated after buying Flower and fl0w, two games I bought to relax myself :/

Message 27 of 27 (27 Views)
0 Likes