Make sure you use the proper file structure of the PS3 or it will not recognise whats in the device, and also make sure the card is properly formatted to FAT32 or the PS3 will not even recognise the device
Update using a PC
- PlayStation®3 system
- A wireless controller
- A USB cable
- A PC with Internet access
- Storage media (Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, CompactFlash®)* or a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive
(At least 168 MB of free space required)
* An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
Update data download procedure
- Create a folder on the storage media in which to save the update data. Using a PC, create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device. Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named "UPDATE".
- Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in step 1.
- Location: Save in the “PS3” folder > “UPDATE” folder
- File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.
- Do not turn off the PS3™ system or remove the storage media or USB device during an update. If an update is cancelled before completion, the system software may become damaged, and the system may require servicing or exchange.
- During an update, the power button on the system front and PS button of the controller are inactive.
- Insert the storage media or USB device that contains the update data in the PS3™ system.
- From the home menu, select (Settings) > (System Update), and then press the button.
- Select , and then press the button. The system automatically searches for and finds the update data saved on the storage media or USB device.
- Start the update. Press the button to start the update. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
- Confirm that the update was successful.
Be sure to save the update data as noted below. If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3™ system will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.
After the update has been completed, go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > .
If the field displays the version number of the update, the update was successful.
You can delete the update data from the storage media or USB device after the update has been successfully completed.
Thats exactly what i did i formated the usb flash drive FAT32 added the update correctly and the ps3 recongnized it and now i have a 500gb ps3 just excited.. thank you all that helped thanks.. cg1luv thanks guys Oh just so everyone knows when adding a new hard drive it will delete all your themes and online avatar pics add ons, just re download them..