Nov 22 2011
By: alza1996 First Son 7 posts

7200RPM HDD, SATA II SSD, or SATA III SSD

11 replies 14029 views Edited Nov 22, 2011

I currently have the 80GB FAT/PHAT PS3 and I wanted to upgrade my hard drive, mainly for faster load times etc etc, especially since my favourite game (Assassin's Creed: Revelations) is a hard-drive intensive game that will benefit from a faster drive.

This is the SATA II Solid State Drive: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/oczssd2-2vtxe120g-vertex-version-120gb-sata2-p-51467.html?sort=3...

This is the SATA III Solid State Drive: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/agt3-25sat3-120g-agility-series-120gb-sata-6gbs-p-51783.html?sor...

As they are both the same price, is it better to get the SATA III SSD over the SATA II one, or is it actually worse for the PS3? Will a 7200RPM SATA II hard drive be faster/better working than a Solid State?

Message 1 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Re: 7200RPM HDD, SATA II SSD, or SATA III SSD

Nov 22, 2011

The PS3 PHAT has a SATA HDD interface. A SATA-II or SATA-III drive is not physically compatible (it will not plug in).

You can use a 2.5" SATA HDD that is 9.5mm high. I have no information on SSD compatibility, I've heard rumors of problems, but nothing reliable.

I recommend getting a low-power "notebook" HDD. That is what was in my PHAT PS3 originally, a Fujitsu notebook drive. That's what I replaced it with. Getting a higher spindle speed (5600, 7600) will gain you speed of access and transfer, but also raises the heat profile of the HDD, heat being the main cause of YLOD. Caveat Emptor.

Message 2 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 22, 2011

There are no changes in the SATA connectors as far as I know. The SATA spec is meant to maintain backwards compatibility. But sometimes people have problems installing upgraded drives into their PS3. Sometimes I wonder if the 4 KB sector transition has something to do with it. Or maybe the PS3 has a very picky SATA controller.

I generally recommend a 5400 rpm drive because a 7200 rpm drive does not improve performance significantly for the majority of games when used in a PS3, because the hard drive is rarely the bottleneck. 7200 rpm drives do not produce significantly more heat, and even the hard drive manufacturers rate the two the same wattage. However, you do feel the difference in your wallet, especially with the hard drive shortages from the Thailand flooding.

@alza1996

I personally use a Momentus XT 7200 rpm drive with 4 GB flash cache to speed up loads in hard-drive intensive Gran Turismo 5, but gains in other apps or games are probably not as impressive. If Assassin's Creed is the only game you play, then the game data might fit conveniently within the flash cache. That would be my compromise unless you are absolutely okay with having a smaller storage capacity with a true SSD on the PS3.

I think the hard part is finding other people who have upgraded to SSDs recently to share their experiences. It's not that popular of an option on the PS3. Try the search.

The PS3 isn't aware of SSDs as far as I know, and it may not support the special TRIM command on PCs to reduce wear and slow down as the SSD accumulates data and as the number of deleted files grows. SATA II or SATA III can be confusing, but consider the bandwidth of the SSD. The PS3's SATA controller supports 1.5 Gbps of theoretical bandwidth. The SSDs are likely to be at 3.0 Gbps or 6.0 Gbps and are likely to be limited by the PS3. If you want a SSD, you should theoretically be fine with either.

Message 3 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 23, 2011

The SSD has 64MB Cache, is that a good or bad thing? Also, apparently OCZ SSDs have a Garbage Collection tool which cleans up clutter when the drive is idling?

Message 4 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 23, 2011

I wouldn't worry too much about the cache size. Simply having cache is a good thing.

There's a manual garbage collection tool, but it doesn't run on the PS3. I saw on a OCZ FAQ that it's not needed if the drive has firmware newer than 1.5. It's probably a good idea to update the SSD firmware through a PC when you get it before putting the drive in the PS3 though.

Message 5 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Nov 24, 2011

oops! You're quite correct. I was misremembering a drive compatiblity issue that I had that was actually IDE vs SATA. Sorry for confusing the issue.

Message 6 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Nov 25, 2011

SSD has no significant performance difference over HDD on the PS3... period.... the PS3 was not designed for an SSD, even tho people claim SSD's are the gospel for PS3s. the PS3 is merely compatible and can run an SSD, but it will not take advantage like a computer can.

just as a 7200rpm hdd has no significant performance increase over the PS3's original 5400rpm hdd.

look at the many youtube videos that have PS3's with SSDs installed. i believe the MOST drastic perforance difference is about a 20second DECREASE in load times.... and games like Assassins Creed, which utilize a line of code that optimizes loading so that you will never be able to notice that there is ever any load times as the code is loading the necessary data in the background. and even then, its VERY MINUTE, VERY SLIGHT

do you think a $200+ SSD is WORTH such an insignificant decrease? dont think so.

go to Tiger Direct, New Egg or Amazon, find a 9.5mm tall 2.5" laptop hard drive in WHATEVER rpm speed you want, in whatever cpacity you want.... because truth be told..... you'll spend only between $60-130 on a good drive for your PS3 that will serve you well.

I spent $89 on my 500gb Western Digital Scorpio Blue hdd 4 years ago. never skipped a beat.

SSDs are only good for media creation computers as far as im concerned that are the most hdd intensive programs.

PC games arent any better when running an ssd either. a good 10,000rpm drive solves that issue

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 25, 2011

gR3yGh051 wrote:

SSD has no significant performance difference over HDD on the PS3... period.... the PS3 was not designed for an SSD, even tho people claim SSD's are the gospel for PS3s. the PS3 is merely compatible and can run an SSD, but it will not take advantage like a computer can.

just as a 7200rpm hdd has no significant performance increase over the PS3's original 5400rpm hdd.

look at the many youtube videos that have PS3's with SSDs installed. i believe the MOST drastic perforance difference is about a 20second DECREASE in load times....

I don't think a SSD is a cure-all for PS3 performance woes, but a decrease of 20 seconds can be a pretty significant change. It's very game dependent though. Some of the race entry times are halved from ~40 seconds to ~20 seconds in Gran Turismo 5. One race might not be too big of a deal, but overall, a SSD can make GT5 feel more responsive.

Message 8 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
583 posts

Jan 21, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

look at the many youtube videos that have PS3's with SSDs installed. i believe the MOST drastic perforance difference is about a 20second DECREASE in load times....

I don't think a SSD is a cure-all for PS3 performance woes, but a decrease of 20 seconds can be a pretty significant change. It's very game dependent though. Some of the race entry times are halved from ~40 seconds to ~20 seconds in Gran Turismo 5. One race might not be too big of a deal, but overall, a SSD can make GT5 feel more responsive.

Although true that every game is designed differently, and some do background pre-loads so as to not interupt gameplay (very linear gameplay) here is a link where a group did a test with GT5 specifically comparing the factory-shipped HD in a PS3, versus a SSD and found for the install that the factory drive took over 2700 seconds (45 minutes) to do the in-game install, the same thing, with the SSD only took about 1500 seconds (25 minutes).  That's a savings of 20 full minutes shaved off of the install time!

File deletion of that same file with the factory drive took almost 400 seconds (6:40 minutes) took just under 60 seconds (less than a minute) to do.  1/5th of the normal factory shipped time!

Here's the actual test link

http://www.hardcoreware.net/ssd-on-ps3-performance-guide/

If this doesn't show that a SSD drive CAN in fact make your PS3 faster, then I don't know what else would convince you!

As well, I PERSONALLY will soon be doing my own benchmarks, specifically for GT5 with the factory shipped 5400rpm drive, my current 7200rpm drive, and my new SSD drive with fresh formatted systems (same system, but fresh format prior to installing GT5, and timing from when I hit a button to start the game/install/etc until the process is finished as well as deletion and file sizes for all 3 drives.  Starting with the factory, then my 7200, then the solid state.

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/37327574#37327574

I'm POSITIVE that the results will finally PROVE that SSD drives CAN and ARE helpful for a PS3, not just in speed, but also heat generation, as a SSD drive generates only a fraction of the heat that even a 5400rpm drive does!

Thank you:
Lil_Guard_Dog
_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_~^~_
20+ Remote Races ran daily as well as daily vehicles & other prizes given out @
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36466084#36466084

See My Garage & Items here!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/32647

For information on my Real Life racing group, as well as track times/dates:
www.speedwayperformance.org

***NOTE*** I do NOT send friend requests. If you wish to join, send me a request, and I'll add you.
Message 9 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 21, 2012

I personally don't put much importance on install and delete times. It's something I do just once for GT5, unlike loading my favorite track (happens to be Fuji Speedway) which I will probably be doing again and again. Conventional hard drives tend to be much more spacious than SSDs too, so deletes for massive Game Data may not be as frequent.

Of course, your mileage may vary especially if you have a video game rental subscription. Rapid game turnover might make the SSD advantage from frequent installs and uninstalls valuable.

Message 10 of 12 (14,029 Views)
0 Likes