PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: 60GB Question

Nov 24, 2011

The-Sarge wrote:

I am inclined to agree with the consensus here.  You should get the slim.

I have a 60 gig.  Had it since launch.  Am on my third actually.  And although there are options other than Sony now to take a YLOD 60 gig and have it fixed permanently, why put your self through the hassle if you don't need to.

I use the PS2 BC of the 60 gig extensively, as well as the memory stick reader, and the extra USB ports.  Downgrading to a Slim for me would be impossible.  So for me the hassle was still worth it.

However, as you freely admit that you would hardly ever use the BC feature of the 60 gig, the hassle probably isn't worth it for you.

Not only that, $220 for a minimum four year old refurbed PS3, when a new one is $249?  You got robbed my friend.  Take it back just for that fact alone.

They may take our Other OS,
or our PSN.

But they will never take,

OUR FREEDOM!!!

I think it is priced fairly for what it is, GameStop had been selling the BC 60/80GB for a hefty premium up until recently.

I do agree that anyone buying one of these systems should be prepared to invest ~$100 more to reball their system if it happens to get the YLOD and make other modifications to make sure it runs cool. Much like restoring an old car!

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 14 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4373 posts

Nov 24, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I think it is priced fairly for what it is, GameStop had been selling the BC 60/80GB for a hefty premium up until recently.

I do agree that anyone buying one of these systems should be prepared to invest ~$100 more to reball their system if it happens to get the YLOD and make other modifications to make sure it runs cool. Much like restoring an old car!

You think that is fair?!

You think it is fair that an item that is at least 4 years old, if not older, that has been refurbished, having a refurb failure rate as great as it has, is priced only 12% less then a brand new system, right from the factory, with full manufacturer warranty?

Seriously?!

Wow!  I like you.

Can I interest you in a 1984 Betamax VCR?  Only dropped once, and just $500.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 14 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 24, 2011

Yes I think it is fair. These used 60GB systems at GameStop used to sell for more than a new PS3 for a long time, and now they are less. Then you have the right to return in within 30 days, you usually don't have that right buying from eBay (where most of these refurbished systems sell for more BTW). We both know that there is the issue with reliability, which is why I stated before that when one purchases theses systems they need to be prepared to pay at least another $100 getting it repaired/reballed should it get the YLOD.

So hopefully you can see my point now. With a total (potential) investment of ~$350, buying and refurbishing the system yourself, it would be worth the hassle to those whom want PS2 BC...

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 14 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Just wanted to update this post and say that the switch was a success. I got to the store about 10am (and didn't know they opened at 5 because of Black Friday or I would of went sooner). Went in there and handed the manager the 60GB system and switched it for the 160GB (brand new) and got the last copy in the store. I have more of a sense of relief with the 160 model after reading all the stuff I did about the 60. Plus, the one year warranty from it being brand new is also a good thing for me (in my opinion).

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 14 (7 Views)
0 Likes