Jan 29 2013
By: Sarges24 Last Guardian 12042 posts

60GB HDD Upgrade ?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 122 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

been out of the loop for a while now. Cigars & work have trumped gaming the past few years....

shortly after launch I upgraded to a 160GB hdd; one of the biggest, most reasonably priced drives at the time. Problem is that $130 investment now needs replacing. My hdd has been tapped for a while now but being @ 10GB and wanting to dl Okami, etc, well it seems I need another upgrade. I was looking around last night for answers but couldn't find anything useful. thread after thread led me no where. One concern is that I read in an old PS Blog post that the PS3 can only recognize a 250GB drive. I have the 60GB model & all things considered I'd imagine that has since been corrected. I was thinking about 320GB, maybe 500GB, but found a WD7500BPKT for $75 so was leaning on that. So my concern is whether or not the PS3 will actually recognize and be able to use the large hdd.

Also what would be the best way to swap since some Game Saves are locked? I've been meaning to resubscribe to Plus but haven't gotten around to it and would rather save the $50 atm but if it's the best way to xfer those locked saves. I do have all the saves backed up on USB & our internet connection is fast enough that downloading all the content, while a PITA shouldn't be too hard. Backup Utility swap? borrow a friends PS3 for System to System?  thanks for the help... 

Message 1 of 9 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: 60GB HDD Upgrade ?

Jan 29, 2013
External Hardrive is better for gamesaves than a USB.
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jan 29, 2013

the ps3 can read up to a 2 tb drive but since a 2tb wont physically fit you can install up to a 1tb drive and will work fine so yes a 320 or 500gb will do just fine without a hitch and if you do a full backup of your HDD to a external drive and as long as its going back on the same ps3 it will also transfer those locked saves as well..hope this helps...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 9 (110 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 29, 2013

kythunder wrote:

the ps3 can read up to a 2 tb drive but since a 2tb wont physically fit you can install up to a 1tb drive and will work fine so yes a 320 or 500gb will do just fine without a hitch and if you do a full backup of your HDD to a external drive and as long as its going back on the same ps3 it will also transfer those locked saves as well..hope this helps...

3Tb.... so far anyway.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 9 (98 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jan 29, 2013

awesome..been awhile since i last researched it...i have thought about one of these larger drives for my main console and even though they wont fit inside to get a sata/power extension cord and fancy it to the side of the unit...would make a fun weekend case mod project..

Message 5 of 9 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18896 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Sarges24 wrote:

been out of the loop for a while now. Cigars & work have trumped gaming the past few years....

shortly after launch I upgraded to a 160GB hdd; one of the biggest, most reasonably priced drives at the time. Problem is that $130 investment now needs replacing. My hdd has been tapped for a while now but being @ 10GB and wanting to dl Okami, etc, well it seems I need another upgrade. I was looking around last night for answers but couldn't find anything useful. thread after thread led me no where. One concern is that I read in an old PS Blog post that the PS3 can only recognize a 250GB drive. I have the 60GB model & all things considered I'd imagine that has since been corrected. I was thinking about 320GB, maybe 500GB, but found a WD7500BPKT for $75 so was leaning on that. So my concern is whether or not the PS3 will actually recognize and be able to use the large hdd.

You already got answers on this area. Furthermore, the HDD you linked to will worked with the PS3

Also what would be the best way to swap since some Game Saves are locked? I've been meaning to resubscribe to Plus but haven't gotten around to it and would rather save the $50 atm but if it's the best way to xfer those locked saves. I do have all the saves backed up on USB & our internet connection is fast enough that downloading all the content, while a PITA shouldn't be too hard. Backup Utility swap? borrow a friends PS3 for System to System?  thanks for the help... |

---The best way to backup your game saves is via PSN+---

|The PS3 backup utility has its limitations. For example, it will not restore DLCs [you will have to redownload them] nor copy protected game saves.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/798/kw/backup
NOTE:  You cannot swap HDDs among PS3 systems.

|System to System Account Transfer. (Data Transfer Utility)
The PS3's built in Data Transfer Utility is capable of transfering accounts from one system to another but in doing so you will be deleting your friends account from his system. You can read more about the Data Transfer Utility here https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1935/kw/data transfer utility

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 6 of 9 (71 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18896 posts

Jan 29, 2013

kythunder wrote:

awesome..been awhile since i last researched it...i have thought about one of these larger drives for my main console and even though they wont fit inside to get a sata/power extension cord and fancy it to the side of the unit...would make a fun weekend case mod project..

Keep in mind that the PS3 will not save DLCs to external storage devices.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 7 of 9 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

kythunder wrote:

Keep in mind that the PS3 will not save DLCs to external storage devices.

what i was meaning is i am going to make a external case mod to fit a larger hdd physically but it will be connected internally with a sata/power extension cord..

Message 8 of 9 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1740 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Heres a list of drives that will work and you can order online or do a store search.Remember it must be 2.5 inch sata drive wich the list shows.If your in Canada just switch to ncix.ca

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1044&subminorcatid=982

Instruction for hdd swap,

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/362/~/upgrade-the-hard-disk-drive-%28hdd%...

Message 9 of 9 (56 Views)
0 Likes