Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: 60 FPS should be the standard for all games on PS4 and next gen console !!

Apr 9, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Bluray movies at 24P still have issues when the action on screen picks up, especially in 3D this issue gets even worse.

Thats why the next Avatar movie is going to be shot in 60FPS 3D.

I'm kinda excited to see what kind of difference it will make.

Personally, I dislike high framerate movies. They make the movie look like a high-end digital recorded home video.

I like the gritty "film" look of 24fps.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 21 of 40 (374 Views)
MVP Support
9304 posts

Apr 9, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

Bluray movies at 24P still have issues when the action on screen picks up, especially in 3D this issue gets even worse.

Personally, I dislike high framerate movies. They make the movie look like a high-end digital recorded home video.

Exactly, Watching the Hobbit in 48 frames was a disaster and didn't immerse me in the movie 1 bit, especially during the fight scenes. I just couldn't help but laugh because it felt like i was watching the movie in fast forward. 24 frames is much more pleasing to the eye.

Message 22 of 40 (371 Views)
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

smoothboarder540 wrote:

First off, humans can definitely see more than 24 fps. Just ask an eye doctor. There's a reason filmmakers are experimenting with higher frame rates. To make movies look more fluid and realistic. If 24 was the limit of what we could see why is tv 30 fps? Oh and the number of frames is in the name. It's one frame every 1/24 of a second.

Video games are actually different and more complicated. For example, there is no motion blur in video games. It's much easier to see "choppy" frames in 30 fps games. This battle with frame rates on PCs isn't some conspiracy. There is a difference that humans can see. I realize that the higher the frame rates go with PCs, the less we will be able to tell the difference, but there is a difference. If you showed me two the same game side-by-side, one 30 fps, the other 120 fps, I bet I could tell the difference. When I looked at that side by side that someone just posted it seemed clear to me that the left one was higher fps. Even in the first five seconds. I don't know if that's right or if that's even a good representation of 60 vs 30 but I could tell.

The car crash example doesn't really apply here. The whole point is to bring the video down to a low frame rate. It just proves that 24 fps is a low frame rate.

As always, the gamer logic answer "it's different because it's video games" is not a valid argument. You see "choppy frame rates" because of things like draw distance, level of detail, reflection effects, and shadows that drag the processing speed down.You're a PC gaming authority, so I'm sure you must already know this.

Just because it was proven BEFORE the advent of video games does not mean that something isn't true. The car crash example does apply, and I'd lay even money that you probably couldn't tell the difference. If you could, you would have answered greyghost's picture puzzle by now, that is if you could.

Message 23 of 40 (344 Views)
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Apr 9, 2013
Personally, I'm taking science over an opinion. You'd be surprised how complex the human eye. Organic Biology kicked my butt once in the study of the human eye. The sensory mechanisms in our eyes are spectacular. Heck, 120fps is nothing for the human eye to pick up. And the common night owl and bald eagle-their eyes are currenly being studied by scientists so they can implement their features into sight instruments.
Message 24 of 40 (334 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 9, 2013

I agree.  60fps should be standard with all games in the next gen.  Even if you argue that you can't SEE 60fps, you can definitely FEEL when it isn't 60fps.

Message 25 of 40 (333 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 9, 2013

smoothboarder540 wrote:

First off, humans can definitely see more than 24 fps. Just ask an eye doctor. There's a reason filmmakers are experimenting with higher frame rates. To make movies look more fluid and realistic. If 24 was the limit of what we could see why is tv 30 fps? Oh and the number of frames is in the name. It's one frame every 1/24 of a second.

Video games are actually different and more complicated. For example, there is no motion blur in video games. It's much easier to see "choppy" frames in 30 fps games. This battle with frame rates on PCs isn't some conspiracy. There is a difference that humans can see. I realize that the higher the frame rates go with PCs, the less we will be able to tell the difference, but there is a difference. If you showed me two the same game side-by-side, one 30 fps, the other 120 fps, I bet I could tell the difference. When I looked at that side by side that someone just posted it seemed clear to me that the left one was higher fps. Even in the first five seconds. I don't know if that's right or if that's even a good representation of 60 vs 30 but I could tell.

The car crash example doesn't really apply here. The whole point is to bring the video down to a low frame rate. It just proves that 24 fps is a low frame rate.

Exactly.

But not everyone can discern fram rates unless they REALLY study it.

Thats why I posted that Gif.... and yes, the left was 60fps.

The car crash was a bad example..... they simple recorded the event at a fast rate, and then played back at a slow 24fps to get that slow-mo.

This isn't really about fps.... i think its about the difference between a steady frame rate and a something that dips as doppel has mentioned.

If you're looking for high fps... stay with PC. 

im pretty certain PS4 will deliver a higher framerate for more fluid motion.

having fps LOCKED at a specific value has its merits on a console with limited resources. 

But I doubt the games will be marketed as "60fps" somewhere on the box art..... that is, unless Sony has made it a point that all games will NEED to be 60fps... which I doubt.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 26 of 40 (328 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 9, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

While its not a GOOD way to fix it.... having a TV that does 120 or 240Hz processing for VIDEO and not games fixes that somewhat, even for 3D.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 27 of 40 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Apr 9, 2013

Oh my god. All much hype. tbh if it's 30 fps are you going to switch to the xbox? and wont that be 30 fps? well, go to pc. Get used to wasd, space, shift, the mouse, etc. I just like when something simply runs, as long as it doesn't have audio drops (Condemned 2) or has such a bad framerate drop i dont know what's happening (Doom 3 on raspberry pi). I appreaciate a nice looking view. Of course everyone wants more and better, but maybe there would be consequences? Possibly an increase in system prices and game prices leading to a sales drop and people getting the next gen Xbox? Maybe awful drops in framerate when you push it too hard with small internal storage? I'm just throwing some ideas out, maybe there are bad consequences, and idk if small internal storage will do anything. I agree that if it's possible, doesn't make an increase in prices, and works well, then it's good. There is always a good reason sony doesn't do something. I don't want to pay $90 for a new PS4 game in the future, just because it has 60 fps.

Message 28 of 40 (326 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
845 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

I'm starting to think you don't even read through my posts. First you accuse me I misspelled a word, which I didn't, and now you completely skip over points of my argument. I said that I looked at greyghost's puzzle and I'm pretty sure that the left one is 60. Maybe he can confirm which one it is. Nevermind he already did. I know I'm not a PC authority but I also know there is a difference between frame rate of film and video games.

I realize I'm not going to convince you of anything and you don't even read what I write before you respond, so I think I'm done talking to you. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Message 29 of 40 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 10, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

This is exactly the reason why I only use those motion processing on my TV when watching something in 3D, or watching a TV show.... movies REALLY look fake which desensitizes you to the "feel" of the movie, as if you're pushed back into your living room and no longer involved in the world of the movie.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 30 of 40 (312 Views)