Apr 06 2013
By: Roadrunr72 Lombax Warrior 144 posts

5 years to the day...flashing red light...

6 replies 157 views Edited Apr 6, 2013

It looks like my 40gb PS3 has given up the ghost.  My son turned it on this morning and it shuts itself off within 2 minutes.

Picked up a 500gb superslim 28 days ago, moved the old one into his room (where is has seen heavy use).

Hoping I can get it to stay on long enough to back up his game saves and deactivate the system, probably picking up a new system today unless I can figure out a fix that will last more than a month.

Message 1 of 7 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7983 posts

Re: 5 years to the day...flashing red light...

Apr 6, 2013

Only repair that I know of that holds is called reballing. The process is to remove the old solder under the processors and replace it with solder containing lead. The factory used lead free solder with a lower melting point thus the RLOD and YLOD problems.

Most places charge between $80 and $150 to do this fix. Depends on the company offering the service in your area.

Also the power supply for the older PS3's sit right on top of the mothterboard this creates a lot of heat directly on top of on of the chip sets. The vents are way too small, the fan doesn't push enough air to keep the system cool.

Slim's and super slims have been redesigned in ways that allow the power supply to stay away from the motherboard and cool more effectively. If you haven't tried hold the eject button down and flip the switch on the back sometimes this will eject the game even if the console won't start up. Also if you just want it to work long enough to get your saved data transferred I have heard of people putting the PS3 in a freezer then starting it up long enough to pull the saves.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 2 of 7 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 6, 2013

rsteele wrote:

Only repair that I know of that holds is called reballing. The process is to remove the old solder under the processors and replace it with solder containing lead. The factory used lead free solder with a lower melting point thus the RLOD and YLOD problems.

Most places charge between $80 and $150 to do this fix. Depends on the company offering the service in your area.

if it costs that much, you my as well buy a new PS3

Message 3 of 7 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Apr 6, 2013

gamevader28 wrote:

rsteele wrote:

To some people, its worth the money. Better than spending $300 on a PS3. A Reball is a permanent fix.

If my 80GB CECHE01 ever YLOD's on me, its getting reballed. Same for my 60GB

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 7 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Well, it stayed on long enough to recover the Black Ops II save and deactivate the system.  The replacement is sitting on the table waiting for me to find the motivation to set it up.  The more attempts I made, the shorter it stayed on so i had to let it sit a while before I finally managed to deactivate it.

Message 5 of 7 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7983 posts

Apr 7, 2013

gamevader28 wrote:

rsteele wrote:

If they can't get it to start back up or have their data backed up already fixing it is the only way to get their saved games from the hard drive on a failed system. Factor in the first PS3's backwards compatibility that most people really seem to love (even though I'd just play PS2 games on a PS2).

I'm sorry but sometimes it's easier for some people to come up with $80-$150 than it is $260-$300 for a new system.

I am well aware when  the cost of the repair is more than it's worth.  I do this every day. Right now the only console that's cheaper to buy used than it is to fix is the Wii. Drives for it cost $30-$40 add in $30-$40 in labor and you can pick them up used for $60-$80 all day even at gamestop.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 6 of 7 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Used PS3 slims can be found in pawn shops for around $150... and that's with 250gb and 320gb drives. Makes no sense to invest $80 to $100 in reballing a phat unless it's BC... and even then I'd take a PS3 slim along with a separate PS2 any day.

Message 7 of 7 (67 Views)
0 Likes