Highlighted
Jun 14 2012
By: Tony72495 I Only Post Everything 1362 posts

5 Things That Should (and Shouldn't) Feature on the PlayStation 4

8 replies 87 views Edited Jun 14, 2012

The next generation of home consoles is still months away with the first entry, the Wii U.  But the other two are certain to follow close behind, and with many rumors circulating all 3 consoles, I've decided to make a list of things that should, and a list of things that shouldn't make it to the final retail version of the PS4.  These may deal with rumors, or these may just be general things that I think are important.  These aren't in any exact order, it's just a simple list.

5 Things That Should

1. Keep the 2.5" SATA Harddrives.  This may seem like a no brainer, but think about it.  Microsoft chose proprietary harddrives for their console, allowing them to charge more.  You may think sony wouldn't do that, but Sony does love proprietary formats, including Memory Stick (and all its variants), the PSP Go charger, the PSVita charger, the UMD disc, the PSVita memory cards, and the PSVita game cards, just to name a few.

2. A graphics card supporting 2 GB of RAM.  If the rumors regarding the 720 using the ATI Radeon 6670 HD (with 1 GB of RAM) are true, the next generation might need a little more juice.  Sure, the PS3's graphics card is similar to a 7800 GT, which is horrible by today's standards, but it's been almost 6 years.  I hope both consoles choose to dole out the extra cash and feature something similar to at least an ATI Radeon 6950 or 6970 HD, which both support 2 GB of RAM.  It may cost more, but looking at the Unreal Engine 4 demos it appears we will need it.

3. Keep the controller design.  Since the PlayStation's introduction in 1994 (in Japan), the controller has been loved by many, and it shows, as the controller hasn't changed in basic design in over 17 years.  And as the horrible boomerang controller showed, it's likely Sony won't luck out on a controller design again.  So keep the same design.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Even better, assuming the PS4 supports bluetooth make PS3 controllers compatible with PS4.

4. Keep the Bluray format.  This may also seem like a no brainer, but online sales are increasing at an insane amount, and Sony even went as far as to release a PSP specifically for online game downloads.  This would also profit Sony, as they wouldn't have to include a disc drive or any of the components to read or run the disc drive.  They might not save very much, but consider that they are developing millions of PS4's and the savings will grow exponentially.  Although many people are perfectly fine with download only, there are still many (myself included) that would much rather have a physical thing that I can keep.  Also, in order to keep game sales up they would have to put game cards in stores instead of game discs, so instead of buying a game at the store and then playing it at home, anyone who doesn't want to use a credit card would have to buy a game card, go home, and then wait for a game to download.  Considering how large PS3 games are, I could easily see PS4 games of over 15-20 GB as being the norm.

5. Include an HDMI cable.  When the 360 Elite first came out in 2007, it was the first 360 to feature an HDMI port, and included an HDMI cable as well as the standard cables included with every console.  So what happened?  Neither the PS3 or the 360 include HDMI, or even component cables, but shitty composite cables.  This is the year 2012.  HDMI cables don't even cost very much to make.  Just give a little for the customer.  I doubt 99% of the people who buy PS3's or 360's even have TV's without HDMI ports and for the 1% who don't just include the extra 5 cent composite cable.

5 Things That Shouldn't

1. No Used Games.  This rumor has been floating around for both parties, and if this happens to be true then the next generation could lose a very large fan base.  Yes, when used games are sold at shops like GameStop or GAME Sony and Microsoft don't make money, but consider that many people probably wouldn't have been able to afford the console or the games if they couldn't save a few bucks by buying used.  Add to that the fact that services such as Game Fly would go out of business and you've lost a lot of potential customers that would have bought your product.  Even though we aren't exactly in a recession any more, people are still going to be much more careful with their purchases for at least the next few years until the economy is booming again, and if you prevent users from playing used games then you would be alienating your consumers.  Yes, I realise that technically you could play used games as a sort of "demo", but that's still complete bull.  The used game industry, if anything, help, rather than hurt the video game companies.

2. A cell processor.  Yes, the cell processor has a lot of potential, and yes I realise that PS3 exclusives have shown that it is possible to use all of that power, but the fact of the matter is when you have every other console using a standard processor it's very inefficient to have to develop a version for a completely different system.  If Sony can find a way to streamline the process of developing games for the cell that won't impede on the other consoles, then by all means go for it.  But until then just stick with a standard processor.  It will be easier for the developers, and cheaper for Sony.  I realise that this would mean about a 1% chance of PS3 backwards compatibility, but honestly I want to move forwards, not backwards.  PS2 backwards compatibility was not even a deciding factor for getting a PS3, and backwards compatibility in general is inefficient.  The 360 only supports about 450 Xbox titles out of the whole library, and even then most of those feature glitches both small and large.

3. Proprietary anything.  As my first post in the "5 things that should" section showed, Sony has a nack for creating proprietary formats.  Assuming that they may include media slots like they did with the first few PS3 models, I would hate to see anything like the PS3 equivalent to the PSVita memory card or to have them create a proprietary USB effectively rendering charging your PS3 controllers with a PS4 impossible (and in this situation I doubt the PS3 controllers would be supported by the PS4 anyway).  Even worse would be for Sony to create an HDMI-to-Sony connector format so that if you want to hook it to your TV you have to go with a presumably more expensive Sony HDMI cable with a custom connector.  That would be really extreme, but all of these are still potential possibilities.

4. A completely new UI.  The XMB was first introduced in the Japan only PSX (basically a PS2 with DVR capabilites) and since then it has featured in both the PSP and the PS3.  For the PS4, instead of introducing something completely new, just include or improve on the existing XMB.  I'm not saying it can't be changed, there are plenty of ways that it can be streamlined and made easier to navigate, but don't just introduce something completely newer.  Again, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. Another game price increase.  This last one is more for the industry in general.  As we all know, with every generation the prices of games have kept increasing.  If I remember correctly the price of a normal PS1 game was about $34.99.  When the PS2 first came out games were $49.99 (which eventually dropped to $39.99, and then $29.99 as of 2 or 3 years ago).  However, the price for a big budget PS3 game is $59.99 (I say this because depending on the publisher, games range all the way from $29.99 for things like a crappy obscure history shooter to $59.99 for AAA titles).  I don't want to see another increase to $69.99, or possibly even worse than that.  Games are hard enough to buy as it is, at least keep it at the $59.99 price instead of increasing it.  Yes, I realise as the generations go on games are more difficult and take much longer to make.  But with each price increase you decrease the amount of people who are able to buy your games.  With each generation the consoles themselves increase, so give us a bone with the games.

Post things you do (or don't) want to see below and give me opinions on my picks.

Message 1 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29413 posts

Re: 5 Things That Should (and Shouldn't) Feature on the PlayStation 4

Jun 14, 2012

How about when you say the words "PS5" it electroshocks you through the controller as a form of aversion therapy, in order for you to actually enjoy the current console, rather than worry about something that doesn't exist yet?

Message 2 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Jun 14, 2012

yea i keep wondering why people keep talking about a console thats not even in existence yet,Sony still has a way to go with this one..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2257 posts

Jun 14, 2012

Sony needs to get this one working properly before they consider a ps4, in my opinion.

PS4 is going to lose btw.  I just read that ps4 games will only work on one users ps4.  So if you beat the game and want to resell it you cant.  If you want to loan it to a friend you cant.

If anyone needs help, with something they are going thru? Im here to talk, I suffered severe SAD, severe Anxiety and severe Depression, luekemia, blood clots, foot ulcers from bad circulation, insomnia, amongst alot of other things. I thought I was gay, murderer, childmolester, transgender even thought I was the bad guy himself. Not judging any but knew I wasnt any them before and dont want to be. Just let me know, some i believe are severly wrong and will get you threw in jail as should, if you act on them. Im getting better. This wasnt sweet lies, like hey that hot woman likes you. Like they used to be. These was bad lies considering I wasnt none them before and dont want to be.
Message 4 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jun 14, 2012

TheDster wrote:

Sony needs to get this one working properly before they consider a ps4, in my opinion.

PS4 is going to lose btw.  I just read that ps4 games will only work on one users ps4.  So if you beat the game and want to resell it you cant.  If you want to loan it to a friend you cant.

Blessed are those that get turned away or banned. Someone must have something to hide????

In Game Informer I read that apparently if you lend a game to a friend they can play it like a demo, but they will not have access to the full game unless they buy either a new copy or buy a "license" online to unlock the full game.

But I highly doubt that will happen.

Also those rumors are circulating around the 720 as well, so if this is true than both will "lose".  But I doubt either company will do that.  The thing is, like I said above, the used game industry, if anything, helps Sony and Microsoft rather than hurts them.  Because then more people can afford their console.  Most game companies now have online passes and things, but I think that's about as far as it's going to go.  Simply locking out the use of used games would be an extremely poor decision on the part of the development team.

Message 5 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jun 14, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

How about when you say the words "PS5" it electroshocks you through the controller as a form of aversion therapy, in order for you to actually enjoy the current console, rather than worry about something that doesn't exist yet?

Lawsuits waiting to happen, and Sony could use some of those. What you said about enjoying the current console rather than worrying about something that doesn't exist can be applied to anything. A lot of things didn't exist at one point or another. That didn't stop people from making things and improving on them. Take the telescope for example. According to you Galileo should have enjoyed the current design, and done nothing. Why make it better?

Message 6 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 15, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Lawsuits waiting to happen, and Sony could use some of those. What you said about enjoying the current console rather than worrying about something that doesn't exist can be applied to anything. A lot of things didn't exist at one point or another. That didn't stop people from making things and improving on them. Take the telescope for example. According to you Galileo should have enjoyed the current design, and done nothing. Why make it better?

Albator is talking about the line of thinking such as this:

Dad buys girl a brand new car for graduation, lets say a Mercedes C Class

girl says "thanks dad, but i want the NEWER car that hasnt come out yet"

But dad says "sweetheart, you havent even opened the door, you havent even driven it yet, you havent even gotten your hands on the keys much less touched the car"

He simply meaning that people are going to look forward to next best improvement, when they havent even touched what was just released. THOSE are the people that annoy.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jun 15, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

bronxz32 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Albator is talking about the line of thinking such as this:

Dad buys girl a brand new car for graduation, lets say a Mercedes C Class

girl says "thanks dad, but i want the NEWER car that hasnt come out yet"

But dad says "sweetheart, you havent even opened the door, you havent even driven it yet, you havent even gotten your hands on the keys much less touched the car"

He simply meaning that people are going to look forward to next best improvement, when they havent even touched what was just released. THOSE are the people that annoy.

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

Dude, Nikola Tesla was ahead of his time he was thinking of doing things before he was finished with what he was doing at the time. He knew there was a better way to send electricity over greater distances than direct current. He was talking about this before he even invented the alternating current motor. He was talking about sending images, news, information and so on, all wireless, before the internet and eventually his radio. Also you can look at the Dreamcast. That came out and it was great, but people had it with Sega, and were waiting and talking about the next playstation(PS2, heavily rumored at that time) as the thing to have rather than the Dreamcast. Buy a Dreamcast and play some great games or wait for something that doesn't exist yet. Dreamcast in the end failed, but not because it wasn't great. Does it suck that Dreamcast failed? Yes, but that's the reality of it. Looking to the future is a two way street, you have the good and you have the bad, and that's not going to change. Bottom line is people are going to look to the future and make things better/worse at the same time they can miss the present.

Message 8 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7424 posts

Jun 15, 2012

That is a different situation though.  In your example, someone passes on current technology, waiting for the new one to come.  What CaptainAlbator and GrayGargoyle have been saying is people have PS3s and are focusing on the future instead of what they have.  I don't really have a problem with it now, but threads like this were being made within a year of its release.  That's pretty ridiculous to me.

Message 9 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes