Mar 30 2013
By: W1ZZA First Son 23 posts

£5.00 Funding

3 replies 110 views Edited Mar 30, 2013

Are Sony ever getting abonded this pathetic funding option?

I have been browsing the store most of today downloading and purchasing a few game add-ons and I have 77p left on my acount BUT want to download one more item which is a mere 79p....  obviously if you calculate this correctly I only need a **bleep** 2p to purchase the add-on.

I don't see why I should have to spend £4.98 of my money for the sake of needing 2p. As far as I'm concerned this is a money making scheme of Sony's and should be illegal.  I don;t need to do this for purchasing games and apps on my phone, laptop and tablet so why for my games console?

[/rant]

Message 1 of 4 (110 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9600 posts

Re: £5.00 Funding

Mar 30, 2013
I don't have a problem with that tbh. It's just the way Sony does things.
Message 2 of 4 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10991 posts

Mar 30, 2013

It would only be illegal if that 4.98 just vanished.  As it is, you will have 4.98 available to you for future purchases.

That's the cost of doing business, unfortunately.  Sony is charged every time someone makes a credit card purchase.  By law, Sony is not allowed to pass credit card fees on to the customer.  Unfortunately, this means you have to spend a minimum amount to make it worth it for Sony.  In this case, the minimum is $5.

If Sony didn't do this, every time someone purchased an avatar for 75 cents, and used a credit card, that 75cent sale would cost Sony about $2.00 in credit card transaction fees.  Doesn't sound like much, but if there were thousands of people buying thousands of avatars, it would very quickly add up.

Sony's response to this was the $5.00 minimum funding amount (which is different than a $5.00 minumum purchase amount).  You buy an avatar for $.75, you fund your wallet $5.00 (Sony gets charged about $2.00 in transaction fees), and you have $4.25 to use on future purchases.

Message 3 of 4 (102 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
23 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Yeah I got all that malarky told to me by the DVLA (a company over her in UK) when I gave them a mouthful about car tax credit card fees.

Difference is I'm not using a credit card I am using a debit card.  Two different things.

Yes this money may still be 'available to me' but I should be allowed to spend my money where I want just like Google/Samsung/Apple.  Take into account how many games cost below £1 or $1 on these devices.

Personally I don't see why I should have to 'spend' money which I may not use for quite some time after if maybe ever.  It's as bad as PayPal.  You can transfer money instantly into PayPal but when you want to transfer money back to your bank unless you transfer more than a stated amount it costs money and also it isn't instant.

Personally I have always disagreed with any company making you use money which is rightly yours and the same is stated for tax on interest in your bank. Granted I will most probabaly spend that £4.98 but I would probably need it for something else in the mean time.

P.S. The problem with some items in the Playstation Store is they only allow Download and don't give the option to 'Add-To-Cart'  (how to change this option please). If this wasn't the case I probabaly wouldn't have ran into this 2p situation.

Message 4 of 4 (90 Views)
0 Likes