Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
12 posts

Re: 48GB free.....

Jul 9, 2013

thanks for the explanation...i do understand how it works...

the ps store stated that one needs 40g free space for the game.  I had 48g at the time and it would not let me d/l the program.  If i actually needed 80g then it should have said 80g.  I have never d/l'd a huge file that required the same amount of space in addition to the actual program itself.  To me it seems excessive.  and the answer that I need twice the amount from what it says doesn't make sense because I only freed up about 53g before being able to install.

besides, if the actual amount needed was stated in the PS store then how many phone calls and email would they negate having to respond?

Message 11 of 15 (76 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 9, 2013
I do agree that they should indicate exactly how much space is needed to download AND install the game. Indeed that is a fault of the store.

As for the amount of space needed, that does depend on the game. The '2x the size' is a general rule of thumb, but not a hard set rule that applies to every game.
Message 12 of 15 (70 Views)
Fender Bender
3522 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Jdurg wrote:
I do agree that they should indicate exactly how much space is needed to download AND install the game. Indeed that is a fault of the store.

As for the amount of space needed, that does depend on the game. The '2x the size' is a general rule of thumb, but not a hard set rule that applies to every game.

Hopefully when the ps4 comes out you won't need twice the amount of space. Download and play.

Message 13 of 15 (65 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

bakon2 wrote:

thanks for the explanation...i do understand how it works...

the ps store stated that one needs 40g free space for the game.  I had 48g at the time and it would not let me d/l the program.  If i actually needed 80g then it should have said 80g.  I have never d/l'd a huge file that required the same amount of space in addition to the actual program itself.  To me it seems excessive.  and the answer that I need twice the amount from what it says doesn't make sense because I only freed up about 53g before being able to install.

besides, if the actual amount needed was stated in the PS store then how many phone calls and email would they negate having to respond?

Because you don't actually need all 80GB for the game.

40Gb is the total size of the games' final install size. another 40Gb is needed to dowload the games installation file. 

Once the game is fully installed, the installation file "bubble" deletes itself and you recover the 40Gb that was being used.

Thats how it works.

You can always delete games that you no longer play, or you can upgrade your HDD if space is a real concern for you.

But with how cheap large hdd's are ($100 or less for 1TB), its hard not to ignore the potetial to upgrade.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 14 of 15 (59 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Jul 9, 2013

thanks guys...

Message 15 of 15 (58 Views)
0 Likes