Highlighted
Nov 19 2012
By: carneyguy Sackboy 499 posts

3g or not to 3g that is the ?

20 replies 269 views Edited Nov 19, 2012

3g or not to 3g that is the ?.  Lol i have noticed 3gs seem to be phasing out.what sould i get im thinking of the black friday deals.but my psp is wifi and i like 3g on my phone.

Message 1 of 21 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Re: 3g or not to 3g that is the ?

Nov 19, 2012

I bought the wifi model because it's cheaper and you can use your phone to wifi hotspot (if available). Plus the down time I have while in town isn't enough to play anything. Always used wifi models on all my portables anyway. Also $15 for 250mb or $30 for 3gb is pretty garbage (in my opinion).

Message 2 of 21 (264 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 19, 2012

TXCScorpion wrote:

I bought the wifi model because it's cheaper and you can use your phone to wifi hotspot (if available). Plus the down time I have while in town isn't enough to play anything. Always used wifi models on all my portables anyway. Also $15 for 250mb or $30 for 3gb is pretty garbage (in my opinion).

There is also the 50$ for 50gb and there is the share plan with AT&T. (Share plan is any AT&T device can be put on a shared limit from tablets, phones and so on. Yes there are other prices and so on in that plan as well.)

I have to say if you have a phone to use as a wifi hotspot. Then there is no real reason to get 3G on the ps vita. (Unless you have plans with AT&T share plan thingy and you want the ps vita and your AT&T phone on the same plan.) The Main reason for the 3g on the ps vita is for social aspects. Also with a paid plan on the ps vita you will NEVER be signed out of psn when you put your ps vita on sleep mode. You can't do this on the wifi only model. (Also the 3G/Wifi Ps Vita model has gps as the Wifi only Model does not have gps.)

If any of these things interest you then go for it. If they do not then just get the wifi only.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 21 (254 Views)
Sackboy
499 posts

Nov 19, 2012
Spoiler

I herd that sony is doing away with the 3g slowly is this true. im not sure what to do like the 3g aspect and the gps ,but im not sure if my phone has a hotspot if it did i can piggy off the phone right, did not now that, but i dont think it has that abilty its a tmoble my touch. So dealima i want one but do i get it now or wait. Hasnot been out for a year yet. I usuall wait a few years after launch lol.

Message 4 of 21 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
499 posts

Nov 19, 2012

Also lol i dont want to have another game gear situartion.i herd the vita is not doing to well. i bought a sega game gear had gotten 25 games or somthing like that and a year later they stoped selling and making games for it lol. Sorry im weary on systems and handhelds.

Message 5 of 21 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

carneyguy wrote:

I herd that sony is doing away with the 3g slowly is this true. im not sure what to do like the 3g aspect and the gps ,but im not sure if my phone has a hotspot if it did i can piggy off the phone right, did not now that, but i dont think it has that abilty its a tmoble my touch. So dealima i want one but do i get it now or wait. Hasnot been out for a year yet. I usuall wait a few years after launch lol.

No that is a rumor. Hell they have been making new colors for the 3G model in Japan. Again if none of the 3G features interest you then do not go for it. If they do then by all means. Sony also put to much money into the 3G Q&A so yeah its not going away any time soon. The 3G ps vita is the full featured model anyway.

carneyguy wrote:

Also lol i dont want to have another game gear situartion.i herd the vita is not doing to well. i bought a sega game gear had gotten 25 games or somthing like that and a year later they stoped selling and making games for it lol. Sorry im weary on systems and handhelds.

Sony Is not doing as bad as sega was.  The ps vita has already sold more then the Game Gear. (So that should tell you how bad the game gear was doing.) The ps vita even has more support then the Game Gear ever had.

Look at how bad the ps3 was doing at first. Now look at where the ps3 is now. That is sony. The Psp was the only handheld that survived nintendos domination in the dedicated handheld market. (Lets be Honest the psp was a experiment from sony. It was very clear  to me they had no direction with the psp. Ps vita seems have a better direction. btw I knew Sega was either going to change or leave the console market way before they had to leave. This is why I never touched a Sega system. All the signs where there.)

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 6 of 21 (217 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Nov 20, 2012

I admit the primary reason I bought the 3G version was the inclusion of an 8gb memory card. The free Super Stardust Delta was a minor aspect.

Unfortunately the 3G seems to be rather limiting in nature and so far nothing really takes advantage of that feature (at least nothing I use or play makes use of it.) Unless you can get a 3G version with a memory stick or free game, it's really not worth getting.

Message 7 of 21 (195 Views)
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Nov 20, 2012

Take in mind that you cant play games online via 3g. I got the 3g model and only used the first month of data then canceled. just get the wifi with the free game. Assassins, Madden, Call of duty. (dont get the call of duty one) Only $200 on friday and comes with a memory card. Great deal and hope you enjoy your Vita, I love mine.

Message 8 of 21 (190 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Nov 20, 2012
I opted for a WiFi version, then I just tether off my Galaxy.
Message 9 of 21 (181 Views)
Sackboy
499 posts

Nov 20, 2012

ok thanks for all your commants. I did not now you couldnot play online with 3g that kinda kills it for me then.Also are their plans to beable to play of the 3g. now my only thing now is should i get it thurs or should i wait to see what is said at e3 2013. If we make it through dec lol...

Message 10 of 21 (159 Views)
0 Likes