Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

Well, why don't you take my word then?  I took a Hong Kong PSVita, popped in a 3G SIM card, and it runs in 3G.  It lights up 3G on MY PSVita Hong Kong version.  I have the device, I have a 3G SIM outside of Hong Kong, I verified it works in 3G speed.

I also know that the US PSVita is sim locked, so you are STUCK with it.  No PSVita outside USA.  No PSVita without AT&T.

I'm trying to help, so stop spreading misinformation.

I'm not you are. you linked this site http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/hardware-preview-playstation-vita.html

that says it only works on 2G.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Why don't you email them and ask what plan they use int he SIM card?

I already told you:  it works with 3G at 3G speed.  This has been verified.

They probably don't know how to set the APN.  I provided personal verification.  I am the one who provided that link saying it works with other carriers.  The Hong Kong PSVita.  If you want to be stuck with AT&T, then that is your choice.  But does that mean if you import the Hong Kong PSVita that if you use AT&T in it, it will be stuck in 2G?  No, it will work in 3G as well.  But the benefit is that it will work with other carriers besides AT&T, as long as it is WCDMA (like T-Mobile).  And even then you can set the APN to use 2G or 3G to save on costs (2G is usually cheaper than 3G).

Look, you haven't provided a link saying it won't work.  You are just trying to spread misinformation.  Or other than that you work for Sony or AT&T and want people to buy a USA PSVita or use AT&T only.

Other than that I suggest you get a PSVita (hong kong version) plug in a AT&T 3G Sim, and a T-Mobile 3G sim, and a T-Mobile 2G sim, and verify it yourself.  If you don't know what I am trying to say or what the article is saying, stop pigeon-holeing things you don't know about.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

Why don't you email them and ask what plan they use int he SIM card?

I already told you:  it works with 3G at 3G speed.  This has been verified.

They probably don't know how to set the APN.  I provided personal verification.  I am the one who provided that link saying it works with other carriers.  The Hong Kong PSVita.  If you want to be stuck with AT&T, then that is your choice.  But does that mean if you import the Hong Kong PSVita that if you use AT&T in it, it will be stuck in 2G?  No, it will work in 3G as well.  But the benefit is that it will work with other carriers besides AT&T, as long as it is WCDMA (like T-Mobile).  And even then you can set the APN to use 2G or 3G to save on costs (2G is usually cheaper than 3G).

Look, you haven't provided a link saying it won't work.  You are just trying to spread misinformation.  Or other than that you work for Sony or AT&T and want people to buy a USA PSVita or use AT&T only.

Other than that I suggest you get a PSVita (hong kong version) plug in a AT&T 3G Sim, and a T-Mobile 3G sim, and a T-Mobile 2G sim, and verify it yourself.  If you don't know what I am trying to say or what the article is saying, stop pigeon-holeing things you don't know about.

again you linked this site http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/hardware-preview-playstation-vita.html

that says it only works on 2G. I'm not arguing or anything i'm just putting proof here that you said proved you were correct when it does not. take note they used T-Mobile witch is US your using Unicom witch is China or as it is also called the Republic of China.  as the ps vita has launched in Taiwan and Hong Kong witch is apart of the Republic of China.   you can keep saying im spreading misinformation I'm spreading the information you provided.

if you are saying that information is misinformation then you are lying and it does not work at all.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Here is the USA PSVita:

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/01/12/ps-vita-locked-to-att-sim-cards/

Here is the Hong Kong PSVita:

http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/hardware-preview-playstation-vita.html

Here is information from T-Mobile:

What is high speed data (high speed Internet)?

High-speed data (high-speed Internet) is Internet access at a high data rate or speed. 4G networks currently transmit data the fastest, providing a smooth Internet connection for heavy data activities such as streaming media, watching video, and online gaming. In some areas the activities you do may be transmitted on 3G, GPRS, or EDGE networks. In these cases the data rate is slower and may reduce the quality of your activities.

Here is information about cellphone technology mentioned in the T-Mobile definition above:

http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html

http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

So: 3G is 3G.  GPRS is 2G, EDGE is 2G.  The Hong Kong PSVita will use 2G or 3G from the T-Mobile network depending on what SIM you use, and if you have High Speed Internet data plan (3G), and also what location you are in.  Some rural locations they only provide EDGE and GPRS for data.

The Hong Kong is not sim-locked.  So it can be used with AT&T or T-Mobile, and China (Unicom), or Taiwan, or Hong Kong all in 3G speed.

The USA PSVita will only work in USA and only with AT&T.

So what does this mean?  DONT get the PSVita USA version if you want 3G.  Import the Hong Kong unlocked version.  That way you can shop around for the cheapest 3g price.  Actually, if you live in any country that will be SIM-locked, it is a good idea to import the hong kong version anyways.  Verified locked is Japan and USA.  So for people living in those countries and wish to travel, get the Hong Kong version instead.

Here is information on PS3 Secrets by the way: http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

You can use the same PSN ID from PS3 and then use that to remote that screen to your PSVita anywhere in the world.  So someone in USA can control a PS3 located in Japan, if both devices log in with the same PSN ID.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12015 posts

Jan 19, 2012

I have to agree with incagneto on this one. Because the Vita was designed for certain carriers, the 3G service will not always function correctly based on what SIM you insert. Sure, data will still work, but since the SIM wasn't made for the Vita itself, not all of its functions will be available (Like 3G speed).

Here's a nice tip:

Since the PS Vita was never meant to use 2G signal, it will ALWAYS say it is using 3G (with a 3G symbol), even if it isn't actually 3G speed, since 3G was the only option to begin with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Glaciusx25, do you have a PSVita?  The PSVita will always use data for service.  It never uses voice.  Voice is only for GSM.  Voice is only for regular cell phones.  For 3G service, your talking on a cellphone uses Data.  So 3G, all voice and internet is DATA, no such thing as voice.

So the T-Mobile has voice because it is a regular 2G SIM.  3G SIMs use DATA only for talking and texting.  In 2G SIM, voice is through GSM.  Data is through GPRS or EDGE (2G Data).

So now that you have better technology terms to work with... Let me answer your questions one by one...

"the 3G service will not always function correctly based on what SIM you insert. Sure, data will still work, but since the SIM wasn't made for the Vita itself, not all of its functions will be available (Like 3G speed)."

Data will always work.  A Hong Kong PSVita will ALWAYS works with AT&T, it has to because it is only a SIM-unlocked USA PSVita.  The question you should be asking is, how willl it work with T-Mobile.  And if you understand the terms I put above, then you will know that all 3G uses Data.  It will fallback on 2G Data in certain cases.  So if you have a 3G SIM, then only the data willl be used, NEVER voice.  If you use a 2G SIM, only data is used, not voice.  T-Mobile does not have full coverage of 3G everywhere, it falls back on 2G data depending on where you are, and if you have a plan that supports it.

This is NOT a PSVita problem.  It is a SIM problem!  Just like an unlocked Cellphone will work with any carrier, an unlocked PSVita will work with any carrier!  People don't ask if an unlocked iphone will work with so and so carrier... it ALWAYS will!  It is a simple matter of setting the APN for the data (text, internet), which uses DATA service (like EDGE, GPRS, 3G data).

So in this case, you just set the appropriate APN for the PSVita.  Or automatically if it detects it.

Here is your other question:

"Since the PS Vita was never meant to use 2G signal, it will ALWAYS say it is using 3G (with a 3G symbol), even if it isn't actually 3G speed, since 3G was the only option to begin with."

No, if you put in a regular 2G SIM (GSM) card with no 3G support (WCDMA), it will not pop up a 3G sign in the upper left hand corner.  It will only show the carrier name.  Only carriers that support WCDMA will the 3G show up.

I have verified it myself (right now).  So this also answers the question:  does the PSVita support GPRS and EDGE?  (part of GSM 2G cards?)  Yes!  You don't need to buy 3G service from AT&T.  You can use any carrier that supports GSM (2G) service and use NEAR and other services.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12015 posts

Jan 25, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

Glaciusx25, do you have a PSVita?  The PSVita will always use data for service.  It never uses voice.  Voice is only for GSM.  Voice is only for regular cell phones.  For 3G service, your talking on a cellphone uses Data.  So 3G, all voice and internet is DATA, no such thing as voice.

So the T-Mobile has voice because it is a regular 2G SIM.  3G SIMs use DATA only for talking and texting.  In 2G SIM, voice is through GSM.  Data is through GPRS or EDGE (2G Data).

So now that you have better technology terms to work with... Let me answer your questions one by one...

"the 3G service will not always function correctly based on what SIM you insert. Sure, data will still work, but since the SIM wasn't made for the Vita itself, not all of its functions will be available (Like 3G speed)."

Data will always work.  A Hong Kong PSVita will ALWAYS works with AT&T, it has to because it is only a SIM-unlocked USA PSVita.  The question you should be asking is, how willl it work with T-Mobile.  And if you understand the terms I put above, then you will know that all 3G uses Data.  It will fallback on 2G Data in certain cases.  So if you have a 3G SIM, then only the data willl be used, NEVER voice.  If you use a 2G SIM, only data is used, not voice.  T-Mobile does not have full coverage of 3G everywhere, it falls back on 2G data depending on where you are, and if you have a plan that supports it.

This is NOT a PSVita problem.  It is a SIM problem!  Just like an unlocked Cellphone will work with any carrier, an unlocked PSVita will work with any carrier!  People don't ask if an unlocked iphone will work with so and so carrier... it ALWAYS will!  It is a simple matter of setting the APN for the data (text, internet), which uses DATA service (like EDGE, GPRS, 3G data).

So in this case, you just set the appropriate APN for the PSVita.  Or automatically if it detects it.

Here is your other question:

"Since the PS Vita was never meant to use 2G signal, it will ALWAYS say it is using 3G (with a 3G symbol), even if it isn't actually 3G speed, since 3G was the only option to begin with."

No, if you put in a regular 2G SIM (GSM) card with no 3G support (WCDMA), it will not pop up a 3G sign in the upper left hand corner.  It will only show the carrier name.  Only carriers that support WCDMA will the 3G show up.

I have verified it myself (right now).  So this also answers the question:  does the PSVita support GPRS and EDGE?  (part of GSM 2G cards?)  Yes!  You don't need to buy 3G service from AT&T.  You can use any carrier that supports GSM (2G) service and use NEAR and other services.

1. I did not once say the word "voice" in my post. I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. So I have no idea why you are talking about using "voice" at all.

I'm saying that the only way to get 3G speeds is by using the 3G SIM provided by AT&T designed for the Vita. Everything else, whether you stick a 2G SIM or a 3G SIM into it, will run at 2G speeds (And you'll still be paying for the 3G speeds, if that's what you have).

I also said "data will still work", not "data will sometimes work", so when you put that whole reference to how unlocked phones always work, that was completely unnecessary. I'm not saying data wont' work. I'm saying it won't be at 3G speeds.

Oh, and did I mention it won't be at 3G speeds?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Ok, and I'll now reply to you again:

Yes, I verified that it works with 3G on non-AT&T carrier SIM cards.

Yes, if you plug in a T-Mobile SIM that supports 3G speeds (non-1700), it will work at 3G speeds.  (But only the Hong Kong PSVita 3G).

And if the SIM card supports 3G and you are in an area that supports 3G.  I think the reason 2G is only listed in that article is because he is in an area that has 3G using 1700hz on the WCDMA, while AT&T and the PSVita baseband only works on the common 1800, 1900, 2100, etc.

Did you plug 3G in a PSVita Hong Kong and verify it yourself?  If not, do not spread misinformation.

Also, the PSVita will work with EDGE and GPRS on ALL GSM 2G cards.  It is not limited to 3G only.  The chips supported by the PSVita is like the iPhone, it can work with WCDMA or GSM (2G).  So that answers your questions, right?

If you take the PSVita Hong Kong to Hong Kong and you plug in a 3G carrier (wcdma) it will use 3G.

If you take the PSVita Hong Kong to China and you plug in a 3G carrier (wcdma) it will use 3G.

If you take the PSVita Hong Kong to USA and you plug in a 3G carrier (wcdma) it will use 3G.

That settle it for you? Verified.

Now here is the big message:  If you wait for the US PSVita, it won't work on any carrier but AT&T.  If you use the Hong Kong PSVita in USA, it will work with AT&T (at 3G) speeds, and ANY OTHER CARRIER that supports 3G and 2G and in ANY country.

So why would you limit yourself to a locked PSVita?  It is the same reason why people search for unlocked phones, because you can use any SIM card in it (thus use it with any carrier and take it into any country).  The PSVita is no different from a phone.

It shows the supported baseband frequencies for 3G.  It describes how the baseband CPU and operating system is SEPARATE from the regular iOS.  It is the same way in the PSVita.  The PSVita treats the baseband like a connection.  Do you have 3G?  Ok I'll use it.  Do you have 2G?  Ok I'll use it.  Do you have Wifi?  Ok I'll use it.  The baseband is a global standard.  If an unlocked iPhone willl work with any carrier, an unlocked PSVita will too.  As the chips are the same, and the OS is the same for the cellular portion.

I think it is best if you actually purchase a PSVita Hong Kong version and try it yourself.  If not, you can't verify anything you are saying.  You are just guessing.  I'm telling you, I've taken a Hong Kong PSVita (3G), plugged in a 3G SIM card from another country that supports WCDMA and it runs in 3G speed (the 3G icon lights up).  I've taken a regular GSM (2G) SIM card from another country that only supports GPRS and EDGE and plugged it into a PSVita (Hong Kong 3G), and it works in 2G (the 2G lights up).

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 28 (111 Views)
0 Likes