Reply
Highlighted
Jan 25 2012
By: pohanlin Lombax Warrior 110 posts
Offline

3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

27 replies 1504 views Edited Jan 25, 2012

If you are going to get the PSVita (3G version), it is better to import the Hong Kong version!

Why?  Because the Japanese PSVita is SIM locked to docomo.  US version is SIM locked to AT&T.

If you import the Hong Kong version of the PSVita, you can shop around for ANY 3G carrier, and not

be locked in expensive carriers.  (especially after AT&T recently increased their costs for 3G).

Message 28 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

If you are going to get the PSVita (3G version), it is better to import the Hong Kong version!

Why?  Because the Japanese PSVita is SIM locked to docomo.  US version is SIM locked to AT&T.

If you import the Hong Kong version of the PSVita, you can shop around for ANY 3G carrier, and not

be locked in expensive carriers.  (especially after AT&T recently increased their costs for 3G).

If you want to know if a PSVita is hong kong version, look at this chart:

http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

the ending digit of 6 in PCH-1106 is VERY important!

um that will not help you if no other 3G company is providing 3G to ps vita. so do not expect to just slap on version and be all fine. more so since yeah its GSM free because that is what is used outside of the US. so version will not work anyway and why is that is because version uses CDMA.

again have fun getting though's when no company other company besides AT&T will provide you with a data plan.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 1 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/07/2008
Offline
110 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

Not true.  The Hong kong version of PSVita will accept any 3G carrier (as long as it supports wcdma).  Only sim-locked PSVita will be sim-locked (meaning only one carrier will be accepted).  The japanese PSVita only accepts DOCOMO (the carrier).  The US version of the PSVita I believe is SIM locked to AT&T, so you can't shop around for cheaper carriers (like T-Mobile and other local 3G providers).

So what does this mean?  Get the Hong Kong PSVita!  Other ones are SIM locked, and if you travel abroad to other countries, you can't use 3G!  While the Hong Kong PSVita means if you travel abroad, just pop in a W-CDMA compatible SIM card.

Message 2 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

Not true.  The Hong kong version of PSVita will accept any 3G carrier (as long as it supports wcdma).  Only sim-locked PSVita will be sim-locked (meaning only one carrier will be accepted).  The japanese PSVita only accepts DOCOMO (the carrier).  The US version of the PSVita I believe is SIM locked to AT&T, so you can't shop around for cheaper carriers (like T-Mobile and other local 3G providers).

So what does this mean?  Get the Hong Kong PSVita!  Other ones are SIM locked, and if you travel abroad to other countries, you can't use 3G!  While the Hong Kong PSVita means if you travel abroad, just pop in a W-CDMA compatible SIM card.

again if the company will not provide you with a data plan you can't get one.  this is not a phone most will ask you what is a ps vita? then they will say we do not provide data plans for ps vita.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/07/2008
Offline
110 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

No.  I've verified it myself.  You can use ANY 3G data plan.  As long as it is w-cdma (in USA it is AT&T, T-Mobile, and any local 3G carrier that supports wcdma).  For the Hong Kong PSVita for example, if you take it into China, just pop in a 3G carrier that supports w-cdma (in this case Unicom).  It will use ANY carrier's 3G data plan.  So if you are gonna get the 3G, why get locked into AT&T with their recent price increase?  If you import the Hong Kong version, just pop in ANY 3G card (yes, those that you use in regular cell phones), and use the data with that.  It works with the PSVita.

Message 4 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

No.  I've verified it myself.  You can use ANY 3G data plan.  As long as it is w-cdma (in USA it is AT&T, T-Mobile, and any local 3G carrier that supports wcdma).  For the Hong Kong PSVita for example, if you take it into China, just pop in a 3G carrier that supports w-cdma (in this case Unicom).  It will use ANY carrier's 3G data plan.  So if you are gonna get the 3G, why get locked into AT&T with their recent price increase?  If you import the Hong Kong version, just pop in ANY 3G card (yes, those that you use in regular cell phones), and use the data with that.  It works with the PSVita.

tell that to the people who have already imported a Hong Kong ps vita and the company told them they do not supply 3G to ps vita.

ps vita does not use the same data  as normal cell phones. again have fun importing it and finding out that the company will not allow it to work.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 5 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/07/2008
Offline
110 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

Again, it DOESN'T matter if the carrier supports PSVita!  The PSVita will use a regular cellphone SIM card, and use the 3G data with it.  I've already provided you with an example:  Take the PSVita Hong Kong version, go to China, pop in a regular cellphone SIM card from Unicom (the carrier).  It works.  This has been verified by lots of PSVita users who use the Hong Kong PSVita (hong kong is next to China after all).  PSVita is not even officially sold in China, and it works with their regular SIM Card.

The main problem is PSVita that are SIM locked.  The Japanese PSVita is SIM locked to DOCOMO.  So if you take the Japanese PSVita and use Unicom, it won't work.  In the US, if you use the Japanese PSVita with AT&T SIm card, it won't work.  BUT if you use the Hong Kong PSVita in the USA, you can use AT&T and T-Mobile, and any local 3G provider that supports W-CDMA!

So if you are gonna wait and get the USA PSVita 3G version, you can import the Hong Kong version, and get to use it globally too if you travel.  And if you are in US, you can shop around for cheaper 3G plans.  Again, shop for regular CELL PHONE 3G plans and just pop the SIM card into the PSVita (hong kong version that is).

Message 6 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

Again, it DOESN'T matter if the carrier supports PSVita!  The PSVita will use a regular cellphone SIM card, and use the 3G data with it.  I've already provided you with an example:  Take the PSVita Hong Kong version, go to China, pop in a regular cellphone SIM card from Unicom (the carrier).  It works.  This has been verified by lots of PSVita users who use the Hong Kong PSVita (hong kong is next to China after all).  PSVita is not even officially sold in China, and it works with their regular SIM Card.

The main problem is PSVita that are SIM locked.  The Japanese PSVita is SIM locked to DOCOMO.  So if you take the Japanese PSVita and use Unicom, it won't work.  In the US, if you use the Japanese PSVita with AT&T SIm card, it won't work.  BUT if you use the Hong Kong PSVita in the USA, you can use AT&T and T-Mobile, and any local 3G provider that supports W-CDMA!

So if you are gonna wait and get the USA PSVita 3G version, you can import the Hong Kong version, and get to use it globally too if you travel.  And if you are in US, you can shop around for cheaper 3G plans.  Again, shop for regular CELL PHONE 3G plans and just pop the SIM card into the PSVita (hong kong version that is).

actually it is sold in China. it launched in china on the 23thrd

TWN December 23, 2011

HKG December 23, 2011  Hong Kong is in china.

again tell that to people in the usa who imported a Hong Kong ps vita 3G and it did not work by just putting a sim card it in.

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 7 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/07/2008
Offline
110 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

Come on, please don't say things that you have not verified yourself.  Here:

http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/hardware-preview-playstation-vita.html

A Hong Kong PSVita working on T-Mobile SIM card.  If you used the USA PSVita, you won't be able to use T-mobile with it.

The Hong Kong PSVita is NOT SIM-locked!  That is very important.  It means you can use ANY carrier (not just AT&T).  It means you can take it anywhere in the world and still work.  (while the USA version only works in the USA).  3G that is.

Although the Hong Kong is technically part of China, it is treated as different region by the PSVIta.

Look at this link:

http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

Look at the model numbers and look at the region at the end.  On PSVita box, you will see a globe symbol with a number in it.  THAT is the region.

The Hong Kong and China are different regions.  HOWEVER, the PSVita (Hong Kong) version actually works with T-Mobile, AT&T, Unicom, and even DOCOMO. 

Message 8 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/09/2010
Offline
2090 posts
 

Re: 3G PSVita? Import the Hong Kong version.

Jan 19, 2012

"However, it was only able to receive 2G speeds, telling us that the system is on the same band as the AT&T network" so then have fun with 2G speeds then. as I sit back with 3G speeds. I never said Hong Kong is sim locked. they are not.

pohanlin wrote:

Come on, please don't say things that you have not verified yourself.  Here:

http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/hardware-preview-playstation-vita.html

A Hong Kong PSVita working on T-Mobile SIM card.  If you used the USA PSVita, you won't be able to use T-mobile with it.

The Hong Kong PSVita is NOT SIM-locked!  That is very important.  It means you can use ANY carrier (not just AT&T).  It means you can take it anywhere in the world and still work.  (while the USA version only works in the USA).  3G that is.

Although the Hong Kong is technically part of China, it is treated as different region by the PSVIta.

Look at this link:

http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

Look at the model numbers and look at the region at the end.  On PSVita box, you will see a globe symbol with a number in it.  THAT is the region.

The Hong Kong and China are different regions.  HOWEVER, the PSVita (Hong Kong) version actually works with T-Mobile, AT&T, Unicom, and even DOCOMO. 

____________________________________________________________
Want a option to buy avatar's on the ps vita's psn store. Then vote on the link by copying it to your web browser.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 9 of 28 (1,504 Views)
Reply
0 Likes