Highlighted
Dec 22 2011
By: helder3000 Splicer 66 posts

3DS Outsells PS Vita During Japanese Launch Week

23 replies 47 views Edited Dec 22, 2011

Source & Full Story:http://playstationedge.com/ps3/3ds-outsells-ps-vita-during-japanese-launch-week/

First week sales don't really prove anything in the long run and fanboys should at least wait until a system launches in all territories before judging it. One need only look at the sales history of the PS3 or 3DS to see that first month or even first year sales don't decide a system's success. With that out of the way, can you believe the 3DS totally beat the PS Vita during its first week in Japan?

As we mentioned yesterday, the Vita moved more than 320,000 units in its first week on sale in Japan (two of those purchased by us), which is pretty great. However, the 3DS that week sold 367,691 according to Media Create sales chart, and in case you didn’t know, that number is bigger than the 324,859 the same chart says Vita sold. How did this happen?

There’s one easy explanation: Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter 3G launched on the 3DS late the week before, and has now sold 730,386 in a matter of days, not surprising for arguably Japan’s most popular franchise. Also helping bolster the 3DS was the launch of a new Inazuma Eleven game, a series that’s not hot America, but has been a huge success for Layton creators Level 5 in Japan. Add to that the continued popularity of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land with the 3DS’s lower price point, and the sales results make sense.

Both did really well, so there’s no real “loser,” but we’ll be interested to see how this plays out in the next weeks. Also of interest is that the top selling Vita game, Hot Shots Golf, sold only 60,000, Uncharted selling nearly 50,000, and the remaining two in the top 20 selling almost 30K. Not particularly strong software sales for a launch, though Sony hasn’t shared download sales stats, and based on the company’s history, probably never will.

Source & Full Story:http://playstationedge.com/ps3/3ds-outsells-ps-vita-during-japanese-launch-week/

Message 1 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: 3DS Outsells PS Vita During Japanese Launch Week

Dec 22, 2011

Except the Vita has only been out for five days so far... and was only available for like one day during that week...

Message 2 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Dec 22, 2011

i dont know why but i have the idea that it didn't sell much because of the japan tsunami i dont know why. ???????

Message 3 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 22, 2011

The reason the Vita didn't sell much is because of all the new software on other systems. Not everyone in Japan is rich enough to buy every game/console they want and when you have Final Fantasy XIII-2, Monster Hunter 3G, Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D Land to compete with the sales of the Vita are quite amazing. Next holiday season might even be worse for the Vita because of the Wii U launching next year, which will attract a lot of people. I hope for the Vita it comes out with some really solid software throughout all of 2012 or it might have another tough holiday season to compete with.

Message 4 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 22, 2011

Well, it takes time for "word of mouth" to get around. Not everyone keeps track of gaming news you know.

The 3DS has been out for months, everyone knows about it.

Sony really need to release their devices earlier.

Nintendo rushed out the 3DS with major omissions like a 2nd analog stick and practically no games.

Microsoft release a console with a crazy 30% failure rate ... but they came out earlier.

Sony is being "punished" for being "late". It's very sad.

For the Vita, Sony took their time to get things right for a smooth launch and, for most part, did just about everything right.

I will be very pissed if the PSV doesn't get supported as it clearly the superior machine.

But I suppose that's life.

Marketing and "timing" > "quality of product"

Message 5 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 22, 2011

Well one of the biggest problems is Sony isn't as good at advertising their products compared to the competition. For instance, there was a commercial for the Vita recently in Japan before launch that showed a guy riding a bicycle and then the words PS Vita, but never showed what the PS Vita was. To make matters worse for Sony they had to compete with some quality software for other consoles (including their own on PS3) during a time when people have limited money to spend on themselves since they spend a lot of money buying for others. Hopefully what Yoshida stated about not neglecting the Vita like they did with the PSP will stand true and we will end up with a ton of quality games over the years.

Message 6 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 22, 2011

Sony also, IMHO, doesn't have that many "fanatic" fanboys to evangelize for them compared to the competition.

On the web, MS fanboys far outnumber Sony's - and I won't be surprise if MS is paying for some of them (a.k.a astrosurfing), they have a lot of experience manipulating the press.

Nintendo fanboys are like 90s Apple fanboys (but ever since Apple has gone mainstream, with the iPhone, that crowd has mostly dissipated; probably because they don't feel special anymore), they practically worship the company. To them, the company can do no wrong.

My 2 paranoid conspiracy cents.

Message 7 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 22, 2011

I have to agree with you about the competition's fanboys. I know many Microsoft and Nintendo fanboys that are simply impossible to talk to and won't even consider touching a competing console. One thing I noticed about Sony though is a lot of their American commercials are very arrogant like regardless what the competion has ours is better type of attitude. While you see Nintendo and Microsoft commercials just advertising the games not trying to boast. I think that actually hurts them especially when trying to draw in a newer crowd. The launch lineup really appeals to me as of right now, and there are quite a few games with no release dates that I want, but I really hope they can deliver a solid flow of interesting titles and not end up going the route of the PSP where theres a flood of mediocrity and a solid title once in a blue moon.

Message 8 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 22, 2011

I really don't know what Sony is thinking with those commercials, but there are people who do find the Kevin Bulter commercials amusing.

I'm not american so it's not targeted at me which is probably why I don't get it.

The main worry for the PSV now is it being drowned out by the inferior but more numerous and cheaper 3DS.

On the topic of price, the PSV price point probably isn't helping, but I doubt Sony can afford to drop the price. I believe they are currently relying more on the device's "wow" factor and game line up to sell it. So far it seem to be doing pretty well IMO.

But I agree, they need more hit games ASAP.

PS: I really wonder what Sony's internal studios are doing. I know they are busy with the PS3, but that battle is near it's end. Supporting the PSV should have been made their top priority as Sony has the most to gain from it - compared to marginal gains in market share for the PS3.

Message 9 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Dec 22, 2011

To be honest although I enjoy console gaming, handheld gaming is what's making both Nintendo and Sony all their money. Sony needs to realize that the PSP sold more than the PS3 and they should focus more on their handheld gaming rather than neglecting it for console gaming. Sure console gaming looks nicer, and provides a better online experience, but the truth is many people around the world don't have time in their busy lives to sit down and play games at home all the time.

Many have more time to play games when they're out and about in their daily lives. I think that's one of the reasons that between the DS and PSP they sold over 200 million combined while the Wii, PS3, and 360 couldnt make those numbers. A lot of people still think that home consoles are the big sellers, but in reality this generation has been better for handhelds. Another bad part about this is that while handhelds are selling better 3rd party developers are selling mediocre titles to help cover development costs for their console titles, which they should be spending on making better handheld games. If Sony focuses on getting more of their first party series onto the Vita, and get 3rd party developers to develop more than shovelware for it then it should be OK.

Message 10 of 24 (47 Views)
0 Likes