Apr 06 2014
By: BortLicensePlate Uncharted Territory 1396 posts

30, or 60 Frames Per Second, who cares?

[ Edited ]
29 replies 859 views Edited Apr 7, 2014

If you were born in the 80/90s you don't really care about this stuff. Why is it a big deal now. Gameplay, pacing, and story will always be more important than graphics or this fps nonsense.

Mod Edit: edited title for clarity. Check here for more information.
Thanks! Lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 30 (859 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1425 posts

Re: 30 vs 60 fps, who cares

Apr 6, 2014

agree im a early 90's kid i could care less 30 or 60 this could also be said about 720p or 1080p who cares 720p is nice on my tv i aint complaining.  just whining teens and PC gamers care about Graphics and not quality of a game.

ex: donkey kong country trilogy better then any of todays 2d sidescrolling games even the new DK games.

Message 2 of 30 (848 Views)
I Only Post Everything
859 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

People care because the innovations that make something like video games or movies more immersive are always advancing. Playing a game like BF4 is so much more enjoyable than a game like Doom for many people. People from the older generations aren't as willing to put as much stock in the newer games because they enjoy that feeling of nostalgia from the countless hours they put into those older games. Obviously gameplay, pacing and story are critical but wouldn't a game be even better if it felt more like it was happening in real life?

I would compare your question to what has happened in cinema for the last 100 years. Have you seen many of the older horror movies like The Exorcist or Night of the Living Dead? If you watched those movies today you would find those scenes laughable. Yet they were the scariest things people had seen in those times. I can't imagine how people back then would react to the movies made nowadays.

Message 3 of 30 (844 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1425 posts

Apr 7, 2014

i would much rather play the single player story of DOOM then BF4 or BF3 story mode anyday or even doom 3 . the first 2 are better but look bad to todays standard. the whole 24 player online or 64 player oonline is stupid to kids saying i cant imagine playing bf4 with only 24 players . lol ya operation metro or that other map that came with bf4 would be hell witth 64 players it already is with 24

Message 4 of 30 (839 Views)
I Only Post Everything
859 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

GamerJon92 wrote:

i would much rather play the single player story of DOOM then BF4 or BF3 story mode anyday or even doom 3 . the first 2 are better but look bad to todays standard. the whole 24 player online or 64 player oonline is stupid to kids saying i cant imagine playing bf4 with only 24 players . lol ya operation metro or that other map that came with bf4 would be hell witth 64 players it already is with 24

I'm referring more to the younger generation of players. First time gamers on today's consoles would find it very difficult to go back to the older games. It's just not as immersive or believable. Also, I'm strictly talking about graphics/refresh rate and gameplay mechanics.

Message 5 of 30 (833 Views)
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

BortLicensePlate wrote:

If you were born in the 80/90s you don't really care about this stuff. Why is it a big deal now. Gameplay, pacing, and story will always be more important than graphics or this fps nonsense.

I was born in the early 90's. I had my share of N64, but I was an Xbox player, and a PC gamer, meaning I got introduced to internet play long long before it became mainstream.

Higher framerates are important for consistency in twitch-based games. For example, if you played Quake III Arena in 30 FPS vs 60FPS if the game had proper hit detection and didn't have a bunch of code-work making the aim requirements less, the 60FPS version would feel much better.

You act like Single-Player is still the most important part. Unfortunately, it's simply not. Things are connected now. This is just how the world is.

I'm a very strong single-player advocate. (A game like Tales of Vesperia or Persona 4/3 are absolutely lovely to me.) I love my single player as much as anyone else, but I also love my multiplayer as well. The bottom line is for companies, multi-player has become cheaper than single-player, and people are buying it just as much. Thus, framerate has become important. But even more so, frame-rate early on is an indicator of how strong your system  will be in the long run in terms of which looks better.

You may think that all those elements are "more important", but it's simple, in modern day good graphics + multiplayer + good advertising = game guaranteed to sell at least decently. More on Xbox than PS3 though (half of why I switched to PlayStation.)

I personally am a big advocate of Story, Pacing, Single-Player and partially graphics (what I want is astethically pleasing, not realistic, so for instance, well-polished cell-shading, or even a Rayman Legends counts as "good graphics" to me.) But the truth is, those people aren't the majority anymore. They simply aren't. The die-hards might consider this important, but that's not where the money's at.

The money is in MP, and MP is best in 60FPS. Just a fact. The new generation doesn't like anything, IMO, they just "learn to like" what's popular. Not everyone, but...quite a few. And it's sad I'm saying this and I'm in my early 20's.

Message 6 of 30 (826 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 7, 2014

Not this again.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 30 (802 Views)
MVP Support
12506 posts

Re: 30, or 60 Frames Per Second, who cares?

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

BortLicensePlate wrote:

Thanks! Lovely1rainbow

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/reality-check-do-we-need-60-fps-on-ps4-and-xbox-on/2300-6415658/

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 8 of 30 (792 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1396 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

@ Everyone who posted.

I agee with all your arguments.

@ Sweet

Thanks for the video, was very informative. But if a game is 30 fps, I can still enjoy it, but it would be nice if it can be 60 fps. Just a cherry on top for me.

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Not this again.

If you don't like this thread, why post in it? Silly child.

Message 9 of 30 (763 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5912 posts

Re: 30, or 60 Frames Per Second, who cares?

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

BortLicensePlate wrote:

Thanks! Lovely1rainbow

Simple. is allows the player to be more percise with movement and actions along with looking prettier. A good staple framerate is a must for multiplayer games.

Also, while I'm not entirely sure, I think playing a game at low frame rate (5 per second range) once gave me a headache so severe that I got a fever. I don't know for sure though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cptkrby kirby photo ROFLkirby.png
Message 10 of 30 (724 Views)
0 Likes