Dec 03 2012
By: mscheaf Splicer 59 posts

3 things that STILL annoy me about the PS3

27 replies 492 views Edited Dec 3, 2012

This thing has been out 6 years now, and there are three things that are still driving me nuts.

1. Why do I have to sync trophies every time I want to view them. Sometimes I just want to view the ones on my hard drive during a game without having to sync to the server which just takes longer and longer as time goes on and I add more trophies.

2. Sony, you are just making yourself look really stupid with this one. It's 2012, and almost every other device in the known world can handle auto daylight savings time, but not you guys. I have 15 year old computers that can do this, why can't the PS3?

3. The freaking BD remote. Who's dumb idea was it to make every single button on the BD remote turn on your PS3? That person is an idiot. This should have been changed after the first month. But here it is 6 years later, and every time I go to move this remote I have to pretend I am handling the dead sea scrolls or something to make sure the slightest bit of pressure doesn't upset one of the 89 power buttons. Stupid stupid stupid.

Message 1 of 28 (492 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11754 posts

Re: 3 things that STILL annoy me about the PS3

Dec 3, 2012

It's understandable that you might want to view a trophy after you've acquired one or more, but it's also possible to sit it out and sync the trophies at interval periods. Let's say you've acquired a couple of trophies. You don't have to sync right away. Instead, you could go get some more and then sync after that. Or, you could set a schedule to sync after you're done playing all together, just before you shut the system off. These are just some ideas. It won't fix the issue, but then you could also be patient with the syncing process if you must have it done.

The PlayStation 3 actually does set its own clock. The only problem I'm seeing is that instead of setting it to the correct time it will set it an hour ahead during daylight savings time. This continues happening on my own system. During the daylight change at the start of the year the clock will read the correct time if set to automatic. If kept on automatic during the later part of the year then the clock will jump an hour ahead, but is actually meant to be set backwards. It's an odd conundrum.

That's funny your remote would do that. I've had a similar issue with the TV remote, where I keep putting the DualShock controller down on top of the TV remote, where later I'll notice it pressing down on the buttons and making the red light up top flash. It's annoying when you don't have room to put stuff in. But, you could also disable the remote until you actually want to use it. If you take out the batteries and put them back in every time you're looking to watch a movie with that particular remote (unless you'd rather use the DualShock 3 controller?), that's one way to get rid of disturbing your system.

Message 2 of 28 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Set your trophys to offline mode.  Then you im not sure but i dont think you will have to sync everytime.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 3 of 28 (481 Views)
Sackboy
479 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2012

The thing that really irks me about trophy syncing is that every time I want to view someones PSN player card it first has to sync my trophies, even if I already synced them before I started the game and even if I haven't earned any since last time I did sync. It can be very irratating when I'm in a lobby between games and want to competitively compare trophies with someone.

EDIT:

Wow, thanks guys. I didn't know about the offline mode option,  just started using it and it helps alot! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 28 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Dec 3, 2012
Couldn't agree more with the trophy syncing. i just wanna view my trophies without sitting there for 5 mintues waiting for them to sync. But ahh what are ya' gonna do...

As for the other issues you have, you're on your own there. It only takes 20 seconds to fix the clock.
Message 5 of 28 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Since the last update that moved the trophy data on the XMB from 'Game' to 'PSN' you have the option to set the trophy sync to "offline mode" that will let you click on the trophy icon from the XMB w/o sycning when you're online. Though if you click on your profile from the friends list you'll still start the sync process. 

Message 6 of 28 (418 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7219 posts

Dec 3, 2012

mscheaf wrote:

This thing has been out 6 years now, and there are three things that are still driving me nuts.

1. Why do I have to sync trophies every time I want to view them. Sometimes I just want to view the ones on my hard drive during a game without having to sync to the server which just takes longer and longer as time goes on and I add more trophies.

2. Sony, you are just making yourself look really stupid with this one. It's 2012, and almost every other device in the known world can handle auto daylight savings time, but not you guys. I have 15 year old computers that can do this, why can't the PS3?

3. The freaking BD remote. Who's dumb idea was it to make every single button on the BD remote turn on your PS3? That person is an idiot. This should have been changed after the first month. But here it is 6 years later, and every time I go to move this remote I have to pretend I am handling the dead sea scrolls or something to make sure the slightest bit of pressure doesn't upset one of the 89 power buttons. Stupid stupid stupid.

1.  You don't.  As TheDster said, you can choose offline mode.

2.  Not a big deal, but yeah, it seems silly that it can sync the time but not figure out if it's daylight savings or not.  Easy to fix yourself, but I still took a few days before I bothered to change it.  I still have my oven and microwave clocks 1 hour off Smiley Tongue.

3.  I had the original remote and I suppose that's how it was, with no way around it; I don't really remember.  I would often find my PS3 turned on because of my cats Smiley Tongue.  With the new one it's not a problem since you can just change the mode off of PS3 and it won't turn it on. 

Message 7 of 28 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1422 posts

Dec 3, 2012
Ya the DST pisses me of I set the clock 3 times yet restarts itself a hour ahead
Message 8 of 28 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9712 posts

Dec 3, 2012
Sony did change the way you can view trophies now, there is an offline mode (press triangle over the trophy icon) it will view your trophies but not sync to server. And the bit about the daylight savings time you change it twice a year and it takes no more than 15 seconds, also there is a setting to update time from internet every time you start PS3. Valid points however kind of nit-picking a bit.
Message 9 of 28 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

The number of times I've shutdown my PS3 for the night, pressed Input button (on new (Media) BD remote, to switch to cable signal) and then I try to change channel  - "Doh!" - PS3 turns back on - "oh, the profanity that ensues" (I'm exaggerating a bit Smiley Wink)... 

As JERM7 indicated, the solution is to always press the TV button after pressing Input, but what has the channel button got to do with the PS3 in the first place, shouldn't it work like volume button and only be directed at the TV (or at least be ignored by PS3)?

I forgive its shortcomings though as for $24, to be able to also control my Samsung HDTV (including using TV menu), it's great Smiley Happy.

P.S. It would be great if Sony added support for the BD remote's number pad (0-9) to the on-screen keyboard, so it can be used in the browser etc. It is nice to see the new store supports it for searching (as does NetFlix). 

Message 10 of 28 (380 Views)
0 Likes