Highlighted
Sep 19 2012
By: ACtripxl Lombax Warrior 107 posts

$270? A price RAISE, are you kidding me!

45 replies 539 views Edited Sep 19, 2012

My PS3 recently died after almost daily use, I decided I would wait for Black Friday to get a new one since I have a test to study for and having a PC and a competetive console means I'm not in a rush.  I wake up this morning to find out the are RAISING the price!  

I already have UC3 and I'm not interested in Dust, not to mention this is still hardware from 2006!  Who came up with this idea, especially in time for the holidays, where looking online a LOT of people were ready to take the PS3 plunge on the basis of an anticipated price drop.

These are the kind of moronic desicions that has led for the PS3 to be in last place, and the PS4 will suffer the same fate if these are the same people calling the shots.  They should have left the bundle off and dropped the price $50, that would sell like hotcakes and tear into the Wii U purchases and give a reason for 360 owners to finally take the plunge.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 46 (539 Views)
Wastelander
845 posts

Re: $270? A price RAISE, are you kidding me!

Sep 19, 2012

You can buy a used older generation version for much less at Gamestop.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 46 (537 Views)
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Sep 19, 2012

Who buys USED electronics?  I have never and would never buy used other than a car that you can personally check the inside.  

Non PS3 owners are not suddenly going to go out in droves to buy used PS3's, most people buy new and this is going to hurt more than help Sony in the long run.  This is what they are selling for the the Christmas season to comepete with a cheaper alternative and a new system.

Message 3 of 46 (534 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6663 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2012

You don't buy used your asking for a reflow to fail in a month.

You BUY brand NEW clearence models.

The NEW SLIM IS REAL but the BASE model uses FLASH storage instead of a HDD.

This bumps the base model to a higher price as they need to build in electronics for the Flash storage. The Higher priced model up from the base model. Has a bigger HDD  than current models and was allready higher in price to start with... 

The New base model will have a fixed price but will be higher than the Clearence offers on the OLD slim..because there CLEARENCE deals only....

IE Clearence models of 160GB in UK are about £160, new model £185 ish.. thats still £15 of the price in the UK. But you lose the HDD. buy a 160GB for £15 plus the caddy needed £10. Yes there is a price increase. off £10 but thats only because to the PS3 specific caddy.. the top model has NOT changed price... only the 160GB replacement

If your local store changed the price thats up to them. but online will be the same prices.

3 models announced

320GB replaced with 500GB = $300

NEW model 250GB=$269

160GB replaced with FLASH storage base model only = $230 (upgrade to the 250GB models at an extra charge of $40)

The US Blog got it wrong the 250GB HDD is an optional upgrade model.

You don't have to have the HDD at all... 

Each 250GB upgrade is $30 extra... the PS3 specific caddy is $10..

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

Fix your 3.5mm headset mic issues with a solution....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Click Here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 4 of 46 (515 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 19, 2012
You just need to keep an eye out on what your local retailer is going to do. I doubt they are going to carry up to 7 different SKUs at the same time, and they may discount some of the current PS3 slims or slim bundles that are already out, to clear them out.

I do know so far that Walmart has cut the price of the PS3 Move bundle by $50 nationally to $299...
Message 5 of 46 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 19, 2012

You should also take into consideration that the new Slims coming to North America ARE BUNDLES........ This is probably to entice people to get into a PS3 during the holidays as Black Friday is literally just around the corner in only 2months.... 

You can either buy a $250 160Gb Slim with no game.... or pay $20 more and get a game with it and 90Gb more storage. When you sell something that carries MORE than what your current product line has, you tend to price accordingly to offset the production costs.

We'll probably see a non-bundled super slims very close to the holidays or in the next 6 months. 

So don't fret just yet. 

Who knows, maybe we'll even see the 12Gb model come to our shores soon.

Just take it this way...... you'll have even more choices to make and retail stores will adjust pricing accordingly to make room for the new replacement. Expect to see price drops, discounts, bundles and other sorts of deals from retailers in the coming months to make room for the CECHE-4000 SKU

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 46 (483 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Sep 19, 2012

They are not raising the price at all. The model for $270 is not a 160GB model. It is a 250GB model. They are bringing it back in a slimmer form, with a game and $30 voucher for $30 LESS than what the 250GB cost before. That is a price drop. You can't say they are raising the price, unless the 160GB went up in price. 160GB=/=250GB. 

Message 7 of 46 (476 Views)
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2012

I work in retail, most consumers don't care about bundles, they care about price!  This is the number one reason why the PS3 is last this gen,  most people want a barebones $199.99 system not a $269.99 bundle.  Especially when the competiion is already selling a $199.99 model and and new system that is only $30 more for the entry level unit.

Message 8 of 46 (452 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 19, 2012

ACtripxl wrote:

I work in retail, most consumers don't care about bundles, they care about price!  This is the number one reason why the PS3 is last this gen,  most people want a barebones $199.99 system not a $269.99 bundle.  Especially when the competiion is already selling a $199.99 model and and new system that is only $30 more for the entry level unit.

I didn't know this was a race......... 

PS3 and X360 sales numbers are within 1% of each other, and the X360 only sells well within the US.... the PS3 sells best globally, with the Wii bein obviously #1, but its sales are dwindling as its ranking pretty low lately

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 46 (438 Views)
VP of Gaming
28791 posts

Sep 19, 2012

ACtripxl wrote:

My PS3 recently died after almost daily use, I decided I would wait for Black Friday to get a new one since I have a test to study for and having a PC and a competetive console means I'm not in a rush.  I wake up this morning to find out the are RAISING the price!  

I already have UC3 and I'm not interested in Dust, not to mention this is still hardware from 2006!  Who came up with this idea, especially in time for the holidays, where looking online a LOT of people were ready to take the PS3 plunge on the basis of an anticipated price drop.

These are the kind of moronic desicions that has led for the PS3 to be in last place, and the PS4 will suffer the same fate if these are the same people calling the shots.  They should have left the bundle off and dropped the price $50, that would sell like hotcakes and tear into the Wii U purchases and give a reason for 360 owners to finally take the plunge.

You do realize that you always pay MORE for a game bundled with a console, don't you? And do you honestly believe that there will not be models without the game? I also see the typical "gamer" solution is to keep cutting the price and lose (note the spelling) even MORE money. 

Message 10 of 46 (425 Views)
0 Likes