Dec 16 2012
By: Lordmajeh First Son 4 posts

2 questions, a bit frustrating

9 replies 111 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

I just recently got a ps3 with some games and have been having fun, however two issues have brought me to the point of anger. First, for some reason my ps3 only randomely connects to the internet. I have it set up so that my pc shares the network through an ethernet cable, and it works sometimes, but other times the ps3 just wont connect to the network no matter what I do.

The second issue, and more frustrating of the two, is that as I was playing God Of War today, my dog came in, got scared at something and bolted, unplugging my ps3. I had literally saved not 2 seconds before the ps3 shut off, and when I got back on, my entire save file had been deleted.

Any help?

Message 1 of 10 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8881 posts

Re: 2 questions, a bit frustrating

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

I'll respond to your second question. It is extremely important that the ps3 system does not get shut off by unplugging the system manually, this could lead to many problems such as file corruption and could corrupt the system all together.

I highly suggest you put the system somewhere where nobody can go around and unplugging the system. You always need to turn off the console by touching/pressing the power button. If your entire save file cannot be found, then there is no other option but to simply restart it. It sucks, but it's a lesson learned.

This page might help you get started with more info about your ps3.

http://support.us.playstation.com/

Message 2 of 10 (101 Views)
MVP Support
10756 posts

Dec 16, 2012

On your first issue, the PS3 doesn't do well on connections through other devices (it can work, but the connection on the PC needs to be set up 100% properly).  The PS3 would be better suited connecting directly to your router via ethernet (preferred) or via wifi.

On your second issue, make sure you don't have the power cord where someone can trip over it.  Not sure how this could be blamed on the PS3.  As for the save file, it shouldn't have been deleted unless it wasn't done writing to the hard drive before the lights went out.

Message 3 of 10 (94 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 16, 2012

So basically the answers are "lol buy expensive things to connect to the internet" and "hey too bad the ps3 is faultily designed and erases saves for no reason when its unplugged unlike any other system, and oh btw its your fault" Thanks for the help I guess :/

Message 4 of 10 (90 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8881 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Lordmajeh wrote:

So basically the answers are "lol buy expensive things to connect to the internet" and "hey too bad the ps3 is faultily designed and erases saves for no reason when its unplugged unlike any other system, and oh btw its your fault" Thanks for the help I guess :/

So basically our answers are to help you NOT screw up your console, if you don't want to take the advice given then that's up to you.

Message 5 of 10 (85 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Dec 16, 2012
Your advice is **bleep** though, all you've told me is that the ps3 lacks some basic functionality of other consoles and said "hey its your own fault that the ps3 doesnt work well" How is that bloody advice
Message 6 of 10 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10756 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Lordmajeh wrote:

Actually, routers can be had for under $20.

As for unplugging computer equipment while the hard drive is spinning can cause many issues.  If you only lost a save game, you got lucky.  It could have corrupted the entire file system.  Leaving power cords laying across the floor where they can be tripped over is nobody's fault but your own.

Message 7 of 10 (74 Views)
MVP Support
18872 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

Lordmajeh wrote:

It is not a fault of the PS3, it is a fact of how HDD work.  If it is too hard for you to properly use an electronic than: Live up with the consequences OR do not make use of them.

Now, if you want for your PS3 to have a reliable connection to the internet than get a router. You can get a decent router for around $60+  If you think that's expensive than you have no idea. Real routers are in the thousands.

------------

BBurgSteve, good find on thar refurbished.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 8 of 10 (70 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

EDIT: Apologies for my childish behavior, I'm extremely frustrated and venting, please ignore.

Message 9 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18872 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Lordmajeh wrote:
Yes under and behind a desk is totally my fault, when my small dog happened for once to get in my room, and has never happened before to my xbox or pc. Also with a pc, it only damages it after MULTIPLE REPEATED TIMES, like hundreds of times. not the very first **bleep** time. Whatever though, I can see that I won't get help here, just explanations about how I'm stupid. Well I am stupid for buying this system without reading non-fanboy reviews. My mistake. Back to xbox

Just wait till you have kids. You will find out all the things you were, are and will be responsible for that you had no idea about you were, are and will be responsible for.

Really? This is good help. The next best things is for BBurgSteve, Emerald_Swords and Xuchilbara to show up at your house like the PS3 Tech Squad and fix your PS3 issues & walk your dog Smiley Very Happy

Actually, you are the one calling yourself that.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 10 of 10 (52 Views)