May 11 2012
By: brolol07 Lombax Warrior 176 posts

1.8 million Vitas sold

23 replies 21 views Edited May 11, 2012

In a world where we have iOS and Android competing against each other, Sony has announced that its sold 1.8 million Vitas. In that statement, Hirai said he is optimistic about the start. Think back to the PSP era, when it was only Sony and Nintendo competing against one and other. Now fast forward to now, we have so many companies making devices that can do this and that. I like my Vita because of there's so many features that is packed into this that it can't fade away from hardcore gamers. I don't know about it doing so well in the casual gaming market though. My question is to you do you think that it is a good start or a bad start? I read everywhere on websites like gamestraua and ign that people are laughing at these numbers. Am I bias towards the Vita because I want it to do well and live up to the potential that it has? Comment below

Message 1 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Re: 1.8 million Vitas sold

May 11, 2012

I'm no good with sells numbers, but I would say (not taking the sold units into account, just my opinion) that the Vita is in a middle goodish start. I mean, we have great titles for it right now, and have a decent number of apps. Only time will tell if the Vita will finally start its Journey to its full potential or be left on the sands, crushed by the other devices.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 2 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

May 11, 2012

1.8 million units shipped or sold? I am not sure Sony has ever answered that question. If it is sold through to consumers... than they are pretty good numbers, for the first 5 months, taking into account worldwide sales. As many have said before me, the software is some of the best launch software in the history of videogames. Almost every game scored a 7 or above in Game Informer. And, although you wouldnt know it from a lot of people here on the forums... Sony has done a good job at delivering the apps people want. They may not be completely up to spec, but they are there and being worked on.

I am not sure what people expect anymore. Sony delivered a console quality handheld for a decent price, with 22 retail games at launch... all available for immediate download online... plus a bunch of downloadable titles and apps. When was the last time a system launched with 22 games? The answer is never. Add to that, 8 additional titles that released since launch... and you have 30 titles... all within the first 2 months of US release, not to mention what the rest of the world has, that hasnt launched here yet.

Sure, Sony could have thrown in a God Of War or Gran Turismo, but then people would bitch that there werent any good titles coming out in the upcoming months... leading to the holidays.

Overall, I see it as a very successful launch.

Message 3 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
623 posts

May 11, 2012

In my opinion; how could this even be looked at as anything but good?

i know If i was able to sell 1.8 million of ANYTHING i would be pretty happy. especially in the first few months of availability

"When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations."
David Icke
Message 4 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

May 11, 2012

Yep. Though Sony has been hurting for years and their videogame division had been whats keeping the boat afloat. So, I imagine in their minds... anything under 5 million is probably a loss to the R&D that went into this thing. It makes me laugh when I see people bitching, not realizing just how lucky we are to be holding a console in our hands. I guess they just cant see it the same way as some of us older gamers, who grew up in a time when gaming was still in its infancy. Now, everyone is so spoiled... that they think the worlds fastest super computer should be in the palm of their hand... and even then, they would find something to bitch about.

Message 5 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13737 posts

May 11, 2012

Well it probably did decently.

But I remember (a long time ago) that they predicted they would sell 4 million units by April of this year (and this was a LONG Time ago, before the name Vita came).

Still. I wouldn't say it's a "Bad start" (the 3DS did end up selling more in a shorter period of time), but it probably wasn't exactly the number they wanted.

They're predicting 16 million by next year, but for some reason, I doubt it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
623 posts

May 11, 2012

Exactly! Do you remember what a amazing and cutting edge device the first game boy had been? I wanted one sooooo bad when I was a kid. For gods sake, I am only 31 years old, and I am able to remember that it was our generation that was really the first that has been immersed in the new digital and techie driven era! Oregon Trail was the top of the food chain as far as games were concerned and that was in my lifetime! look at how far we have come in such a short time. its unreal

"When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations."
David Icke
Message 7 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
621 posts

May 11, 2012

BadboyStudiosInc wrote:

Yep. Though Sony has been hurting for years and their videogame division had been whats keeping the boat afloat. So, I imagine in their minds... anything under 5 million is probably a loss to the R&D that went into this thing. It makes me laugh when I see people ********, not realizing just how lucky we are to be holding a console in our hands. I guess they just cant see it the same way as some of us older gamers, who grew up in a time when gaming was still in its infancy. Now, everyone is so spoiled... that they think the worlds fastest super computer should be in the palm of their hand... and even then, they would find something to ***** about.

This is exactly why, people on here ar crying for youtubz, and backward compatiblity for everythign playstation, saying that Sony has deceived them, etc etc and that they are intitled to everything and that if they don't get what they want, they will bring sony down blah blah blah. They don't get that when you bought a gameboy .. it played just that games.. thats it.. nothing else. When you bought a SNES .. it played just that SNES games.. not NES games, nothing else.. I guess that is why im more in the "i dont care" that ps1 classics arent on the Vita yet and that not all PSP games are on it as well.. I am just not spoiled by it and enjoy the Vita for what it is.

I would honestly be quite happy if Sony at E3 annouched that they will not bring Apps to the Vita and that they wont be concentrating on bringing ps1 and psp games to the Vita, and instead concentrate every single resource on making the best Vita games and bring more Vita games.. but maybe thats just me.

Photobucket

Message 8 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

May 11, 2012

It depends if you think the 3DS launch was good or not. If you think 3DS was a bad launch than the Vita launch is absolutely terrible.

3DS sold 3.6 million world wide from the Japan's Febuary 26th release date to the last day of March. 

Vita Just got to 1.8 and was released in December in Japan. Even sader is the fact that at the end of Febuary the Vita had already sold 1.2 million world wide so in 3 months it only sold 0.6 million units gobally.

This is a big loss for Sony in addition to the losses its already taking in every other section of the company. 

Message 9 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

May 11, 2012

The Gameboy revolutionized portable gaming at the time.

Had the Sega Nomad been released much earlier in the console's lifespan, I think Sega could've beaten Nintendo.   They did get a few things right, TV input, Multiplayer support

A lot of people praised Neo Geo because it was the closest thing to an Arcade machine.

Even Nintendo DS raised the bar for handheld gaming.   The fact that it allowed backwards compatibility of Game Boy Advance games, allowed the system to be even more useful as people still like their legacy games(Think Gamecubs, PS1/PS2, Xbox)

These games won't go away, the more backwards compatibility there is, the more units a console could sell just to be able to play those games.

If Sony had followed through on Remote Play, instead of making it a lazy port of PSP Remote Play, numbers would be far higher.   People would buy the device just so they could play those games on a handheld.

Mortal Kombat got higher ratings on the Vita, than the console versions did.   Why?   Instead of being a direct port, they added new features that were welcomed and really used the Vita well.   Test your Slice, Fruit Ninja anyone?   Test your Balance is cool.   I even played a Challenge Tower where if you tilted your Vita, you got buffs, if you shake the screen, a buff comes out, if you touch missles on screen they blow up, touch Raiden so he doesn't blow up, they give you a different way to play an already awesome fighting game.

Give the Vita 2 years before you gripe about crappy games.   It's not like you can just copy the contents of a game from your PS3 and play them seamlessly on a Vita card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Message 10 of 24 (21 Views)
0 Likes