Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 22 2013
By: EdwCarnby Fender Bender 2865 posts

Thread viewcounts going crazy!

[ Edited ]
16 replies 3333 views Edited Apr 22, 2013

Hi guys

Some of us have noticed the amount of views for any thread or post are skyrocketing in the hundreds or thousands. I think there might be a forum bug or someone is attempting to DDoS your forums by F5ing all the topics on a board. Are you looking into it? I saw it happening in the Home general discussion not sure if it's happening anywhere else.

Toodles!

EDIT: See what I mean?? Over 1k views on this!

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: There is no new news to share at this time.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (3,333 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28642 posts

Re: Thread viewcounts going crazy!

Apr 22, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Some of us have noticed the amount of views for any thread or post are skyrocketing in the hundreds or thousands. I think there might be a forum bug or someone is attempting to DDoS your forums by F5ing all the topics on a board. Are you looking into it? I saw it happening in the Home general discussion not sure if it's happening anywhere else.

Toodles!

I'm not sure if there's an issue or not, I intentionally backed out of this Thread of yours 4 times & each time I returned it had added one view to the count, so that was working perfectly fine.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (361 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5591 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Toodles!

I don't know. This is weird. I hit the refresh button and I think this thread went up 200 views. Or maybe I just imagined it. (it is very late at night and I am sleepy). It has 3000 views now. I will check again tomorrow.

oz-omg1.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Apr 23, 2013

:cathappy:lazy_town_stephanie_pony.png Everything is going to Pony Plan hehe :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (319 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14371 posts

Apr 25, 2013

It would take a VERY large group of people...or someone running a zombie net (a bunch of infected computers with trojans that make it do the bidding of the hacker) to DDOS this place by "F5-ing" haha

Setzaroth signature

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32742 posts

Apr 28, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Toodles!

I just looked at a bunch of threads around this one.  They all seem normal.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the title of the thread.  I'm wondering if maybe it's getting tagged by Google and showing up as results, leading to a view bump.

I also looked at a few of your other recent posts and they seem normal as well.

Let's see if the thread title has anything to do with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (269 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32742 posts

Apr 28, 2013

There.  I just started a thread with the same title as this one.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Forums-Support/Thread-viewcounts-going-crazy/m-p/...

Let's see how well it does.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (267 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18639 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Toodles!

DDoS would go differently than this.

Anyways, I usually notice this post-view-count behavior on high traffic forums. What gets my attention is when a post have over 300+ or 600+ views and nobody answer the question being asked by the OP.

Anyways, funny how the main post has 3,070 Views - time stamp 04-22-2013 @ 07:37 AM [as of this post] where the first reply by BRIT-KO only has 98 Views - time stamp 04-22-2013 01:12 PM [as of this post]

To me it looks like someone has been hotlinking the main post many times over.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32742 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Toodles!

Anyways, I usually notice this post-view-count behavior on high traffic forums. What gets my attention is when a post have over 300+ or 600+ views and nobody answer the question being asked by the OP.

Anyways, funny how the main post has 3,070 Views - time stamp 04-22-2013 @ 07:37 AM [as of this post] where the first reply by BRIT-KO only has 98 Views - time stamp 04-22-2013 01:12 PM [as of this post]

I remember there used to be a site where they scan various forums for recent action.  I don't remember the name of the site, but I was looking for a particular thread I made long ago and I found this forum tracker site.

I was one of the people being tracked.  It showed my activity.  It was super weird being at that site looking at all the stuff they were tracking.  That was the whole reason for its existence.  O think the threads were atuo-tracked.

But then if I recall there weren't a lot of users there.  So it still wouldn't explain the wild thread counts.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (247 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18639 posts

Apr 30, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hi guys

Toodles!

I remember there used to be a site where they scan various forums for recent action.  I don't remember the name of the site, but I was looking for a particular thread I made long ago and I found this forum tracker site.

I was one of the people being tracked.  It showed my activity.  It was super weird being at that site looking at all the stuff they were tracking.  That was the whole reason for its existence.  O think the threads were atuo-tracked.

But then if I recall there weren't a lot of users there.  So it still wouldn't explain the wild thread counts.

Now that is creepy.

I'm sure they are still around, but between/around 2004-2007 I used to see a lot of these content thief sites. They usually crawl & log open forums & unencrypted IRC chats.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (239 Views)
0 Likes