Jun 30 2012
By: Sonic42 Treasure Hunter 5377 posts
Accepted Solution

Spell Check

6 replies 199 views Edited Jun 30, 2012

This forum, like the last one, has a built in spell-checker. I think that's great, and helps to improve the quality of posts here. However, many of us have spell-checkers built into our browsers and OSs, and would prefer to use those instead. But for whatever reason, native spell-checkers are being blocked here. Is there a legitimate reason for this? If not, can we unblock native spell-checkers?

Message 1 of 7 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
72585 posts

Re: Spell Check

Jun 30, 2012

This isn't an issue with the platform, but with the  WYSIWYG editor unfortunately. I feel you, I'm not a fan of having to constantly re-enable browser spell check either, but it does work. You just have to force it to work each time.

Message 2 of 7 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jun 30, 2012

shungokusatsu wrote:

This isn't an issue with the platform, but with the  WYSIWYG editor unfortunately. I feel you, I'm not a fan of having to constantly re-enable browser spell check either, but it does work. You just have to force it to work each time.

I took matters into my own hands. Here's a user script for Firefox and Chrome users that will enable browser spellcheck on these forums.

Message 3 of 7 (158 Views)
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Jun 30, 2012

Only way I could spell check in the Jive forum was to use the HTML editor.   With the new Lithium board I can spell check with Firefox but I have to manually enable the "Check Spelling" option in the right-click context menu each time.  But it works in the basic editor without me having to use the HTML editor, which is nice.   Not sure if there is a more advanced editor available, but whatever one I currently have selected does work with Firefox's spell-check.

Message 4 of 7 (153 Views)
VP of Gaming
31727 posts

Jul 1, 2012

There's one thing I don't like about the inbuilt Spell-Checker, when I quote someone else's post in my response it spell-checks that too, that's just silly & annoying in my view.

Message 5 of 7 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5377 posts

Jul 1, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

There's one thing I don't like about the inbuilt Spell-Checker, when I quote someone else's post in my response it spell-checks that too, that's just silly & annoying in my view.

If you use Firefox or Chrome, you can apply the script I mentioned in the solution. While this won't stop your spell-checker from checking quotes, it doesn't force you to click the ignore button multiple times.

Message 6 of 7 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 2, 2012

How in the world did you make the text blue? hehe....nevermind :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 7 (109 Views)
0 Likes