Oct 12 2012
By: TONESTER_925 Uncharted Territory 1401 posts

rAge 2012: PSASBR Impressions

2 replies 155 views Edited Oct 12, 2012

Many gamers have ignored this game or shot it down without having played it because of its rather silly nature or because it’s an imitation of Nintendo’s famous Super Smash Brothers series. The way I see it, after having played it at rAge, it is a silly game but it looks like a good choice if you just want to kick back with two or three buddies, do something stupid, not take anything seriously and have some fun, and of course the game is littered with tributes to PlayStation games and characters.

The game supports up to four players, and it’s basically like Super Smash Brothers except it has a number of differences that make playing the game very different. For starters, players don’t build up a damage percentage each time they’re hit, but rather build up a Special Meter when they deal damage to other players. You can only eliminate other players using a special attack, and even when you get it you’ll still have to hit another player with it otherwise it will waste. You can also be interrupted while you’re doing the animation, so there’s a tiny bit of luck and skill involved in pulling it off. Each kill gives you points, while dying loses you points, and at the end whoever has the most points wins.

I must say, despite the silly premise of the game, it is rather entertaining to play a match with Kratos, Big Daddy, Nathan Drake and Sweet Tooth. The game is busy, but it’s by no means overly chaotic and four players can comfortably play on all the maps offered. The levels look great and are packed with fun little things that can harm players and platforms to get to vantage points. Like Smash, the game is played like a side-scroller, and each character has a variety of moves to do using button combinations and the movement keys. Each character also has its own way of playing. For example, Radec from Killzone 3 is a ranged fighter, while Big Daddy from BioShock gets right up in your face and tanks.

The demo I played had less than ten characters available for selection, and of course there will be plenty more for the full game. A highlight for me was, in my first time playing the game, I took first place playing as Big Daddy against three other random gamers. Sadly though, I decided to pick Radec next and ended up in third place, because it was a small map and I was with three other melee characters.

There’s really not much else to say about the game after the brief time I had with it. My gameplay time was cut short when the demo console froze up and I was too impatient to wait for it to start up again. But I will admit I had a fun time with the other gamers. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is not sophisticated and it’s not going to blow your mind, but it is just a fun party game where you can comfortably relax, play with ease, and trash talk the whole way through. Based on the demo and its limitations, I obviously can’t say how it can measure up in the long-term and whether it’s a game you’ll play for more than an hour or so until you tire of it, so we’ll have to wait for the full game.

But the demo did seem to give the impression that it’s a game you play in small doses, just for a break now and again when friends are over, and it was really good for this exact purpose.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 3 (155 Views)
Wastelander
747 posts

Re: rAge 2012: PSASBR Impressions

Oct 12, 2012
Truer words could not have been spoken. Kudos.
Message 2 of 3 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Re: rAge 2012: PSASBR Impressions

Oct 12, 2012
'But the demo did seem to give the impression that it’s a game you play in small doses, just for a break now and again when friends are over, and it was really good for this exact purpose.'

Exactly why I'm stoked to get this on my Vita, it's so perfectly suited with the games appeal.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 3 of 3 (67 Views)
0 Likes