Treasure Hunter
5663 posts

Re: "The RPG is dead! Long live the RPG!" An Article

Dec 16, 2012
I'd argue that RPG's were a more definitive genre during the early age, coupled with platformers. In the modern day, RPG hybrids are what gain popularity, regardless of whether they're old (Morrowind) or new (Mass Effect 2) entries in the series, mainly because the standard RPG heavy games lack in the gameplay department i.e. feel dated, which is why people have no trouble wiping the dust off an older RPG game and playing that instead.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 31 of 36 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Actually, people like traditional rpgs. There just haven't been too many good ones this gen. Square soft and Enix were the kings back in the day. They fused into what alot of people consider a bad company. The king is now gone so now it just seems jrpgs are dead.

Message 32 of 36 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Dec 17, 2012
it's just that there are no good 'traditional' RPGs now...
Play For Fun!
Message 33 of 36 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Dec 17, 2012

It's just an effect of the times, I suppose. There were more constraints on what could be done with storytelling in gaming. It used to be that if you wanted an engaging story in game, you'd pick up an RPG. And more often then not, those RPGs were turn-based JRPGs.

I mean really, could a shooter from the "Doom"-age pull off what Bioshock or Spec Ops: The Line did? Probably not. Everything was adrenaline then, but the success of text-driven RPGs showed that gamers do have patience, and respect effective pacing if it benefits the experience.

One of my recent favorite moments in any narrative was near the conclusion of inFamous 2. And it's just a brief scene of two best friends on a couch having a beer or two before the possible end of the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 34 of 36 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Dec 17, 2012
yeah, most of the time, if i'm getting an RPG, it would be for the narrative,
completed Dragon Age like 3/4 times, 'cause it was awesome...
Play For Fun!
Message 35 of 36 (80 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

Don't dis FF. Those games will always be true RPG's,no matter how much they change because that is what they are supposed to do. Skyrim is brobably the best PS3 RPG out there right now though. I wonder what's next.....

Edit: Thread locked for necrobumping

-Stage_Coach

Message 36 of 36 (64 Views)
0 Likes